![]() |
|
|
|
#1
|
||||
|
||||
|
This was a HUGE oversight in the development of this new and improved service--big problem...having broadcast dropouts when they are needed most.
__________________
Yamaha, Manley, ADS, McIntosh, Rega, B&O & Victor Talking Machine "...As worrying is interest paid on trouble, long before it's due..." - Steve Hackett - "Serpentine Song"
|
|
#2
|
||||
|
||||
|
Quote:
As far as DTV signals being unusable in inclement weather goes, I'm not surprised, as many stations are not yet transmitting at full power on their DTV channels. However, if you are that close to the New Orleans TV transmitters, you should have much more signal than you need for excellent reception, even with rabbit ears. Since I (and most other folks here) have cable, I'm not concerned about loss of signal in bad weather. (The cable company, however, does pick up the digital signal [they no longer pick up the stations' OTA signals via antennas], which is in turn fed to the cable system via fiber optic lines; the digital ATSC signals are converted to 4:3 NTSC on an as-needed basis.) However, for those folks in my town who are still using rabbit ears or outdoor antennas (there are still a few here, though most of us have either cable or satellite), I don't know. I do know that in my case, I get only one channel on an antenna well enough to watch (CBS channel 19), and the NBC affiliate on channel 3 doesn't reach here at all; the other five channels are fair to poor at best. I know of at least one other situation where channel 3 isn't watchable here; that is the grocery store three blocks from me, which has a Magnavox TV they used to use during football season. That set didn't get channel 3 on an antenna, either, so they got cable for a short time; however, the cable service has long since been disconnected. But I digress. My point is that the village in which I live is some 40 miles from the Cleveland TV stations, which transmit from a southwestern suburb of the city, and analog reception is awful, as I mentioned above. Heaven help those few folks here who are still using antennas come 06.12, as digital reception here is probably iffy at best, except as I said for CBS channel 19. Without cable or satellite, these folks will be up the creek during inclement weather conditions as far as reception of digital TV (or, more accurately, the lack of it) is concerned. I suspect Time-Warner Cable, not to mention Dish Network, will have a few more installations to do in this town before June 12. I can envision this village being almost 100 percent wired for cable in the near future; it's close to that point already. As has also been mentioned in other posts, radio is not the best medium for emergency information (the Emergency Alert System notwithstanding), as weather radar cannot be seen in radio weather reports. All we can hope is that the TV stations get their full-power DTV signals on the air by June 12, but even then there will be some dead spots where, given DTV's all-or-nothing nature, OTA reception may be iffy or downright nonexistent.
__________________
Jeff, WB8NHV Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002 Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten. Last edited by Jeffhs; 03-27-2009 at 12:12 PM. |
|
#3
|
||||
|
||||
|
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
|
|
#4
|
||||
|
||||
|
OTA DTV Notes
I am an early adopter with digital TV tech, and yes it does have some issues, but in general it is WAY better than analog. I stated out around 5 years ago (I wanted to see the Olympics in full HD) with a 60" widescreen HDTV (i.e., analog not so good at this size), and I purchased a Digital Tuner/DVR unit (like Tivo, but no monthly fee) to go along with it. I have no pay TV, only free off-air stuff, with free TV Guide On Screen. I like free, free is good (o-k, I had to buy the hardware, but at least it is a one time charge).
The first thing you learn is that digital signals are all transmitted on UHF (so in my case for example, channel 66-1 digital is really the digital version of analog channel 13, aka. 13-1). And, since you now will need to pick-up UHF reliably, you best get the correct antenna for your location. Here is a link to help you figure what antenna you need. http://www.antennaweb.org In my case, I needed the strongest available (10" long), and even that one needs to be pointed in the correct direction or else you will lose some stations. On a clear day, I am getting around 60 digital stations (mix of english and various foreign language stations) because of multicasting (i.e., because of digital tech, multiple stations can be sent on one channel transmission). ..COOL!!!I once tried HD dish service (VOOM) which was cool while it lasted, but they went out of business. Bad weather had the same affect on dish reception as on antenna, bad weather = lower quality reception. Anyway, I very much enjoy my free OTA DTV. Over the past 5 years, I have seen several stations come and go (such as an interesting version of MTV 5that only showed '80 videos, and an interesting cartoons-only station). The public television stations in my area were the first to get digital HD equipment, so their nature shows were my first HD "wow" stations to show friends how great true HD can be.
__________________
YAMAHALIC |
|
#5
|
||||
|
||||
|
No amount of signal strength will help you with this problem, but an outdoor antenna will likely help for another reason.
When you use an indoor antenna for DTV, there will always be some degree of multipath reception, as signals are reflected by other houses, buildings, mountains (if you are near any) and trees (in analog reception, mild multipath produces the classic "ghosting" problem. One may recall a windy day when on UHF reception one could not get the picture to stop rolling.) The very first ATSC (DTV) receivers required a signal that was free of multipath, and could only be used with an indoor antenna if a signal had an unobstructed path to the antenna (e.g, in a window on the side of the building facing a transmitter, with no nearby buildings in the direction of the station). Newer DTV tuners (including, I believe, all CECBs) can adujst to multipath by assessing the multipath effects on a signal, and "subtracting" the reflections from the total to arrive at a usable bitstream. The problem with windy weather (and, BTW, it is not the rain, nor the snow, and, with good UHF signals, not lightning) is that when nearby tree branches are windblown, the multipath reflections from trees are changing with time, and the tuner can't "keep up" with the changing multipath condition. An outdoor antenna aimed at a station has far less multipath to deal with in the first place, and the multipath effects through the tree branches are often not strong enough to corrupt the signal. Incidentally, not all DTV is UHF. UHF has a much larger share of the total DTV station "stock" than analog, but many stations are and will be on VHF-High band (7-13), with the majority of current analog VHF-High stations going to their true original channels for DTV after June 12th. Last edited by Robert Grant; 03-29-2009 at 01:25 AM. Reason: fix typos |
| Audiokarma |
|
#6
|
||||
|
||||
|
Quote:
__________________
various stuff |
|
#7
|
||||
|
||||
|
Quote:
__________________
Jeff, WB8NHV Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002 Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten. |
|
#8
|
||||
|
||||
|
Quote:
__________________
Mom (1938 - 2013) - RIP, I miss you Spunky, (1999 - 2016) - RIP, pretty girl! Rascal, (2007 - 2021) RIP, miss you very much |
|
#9
|
||||
|
||||
|
Thanks for that Robert, I was not aware of the multipath issues.
|
![]() |
|
|