![]() |
|
#16
|
||||
|
||||
|
I remember when The Tonight Show and a few others started being in stereo in 1985. Our lousy cable-TV system in Burlingame, California filtered out the stereo subcarrier, though, but the pilot tone would still light up the stereo indicator light on my Super Beta VCR. Then, I tried a rabbit-ear antenna and got an excellent signal from NBC Channel 4 and started recording lots of shows.
That was only a few months after I had first ever had cable TV, and one of numerous bad experiences with cable until I finally dumped it for good in 1995.
__________________
Chris Quote from another forum: "(Antique TV collecting) always seemed to me to be a fringe hobby that only weirdos did." |
|
#17
|
|||
|
|||
|
Back in '85 or '86 I had a Recoton FRED II stereo and SAP decoder box. It was a weird device that used some kind of inductive hockey puck looking piece of plastic that you glued to the bottom of the TV near the volume control. Somehow it managed to pick up the MTS signal and feed it to the decoder for stereo sound. It never really worked very well.
|
|
#18
|
||||
|
||||
|
The FRED II could also be connected directly to the MTS/MPX outputs of mid-80's TV sets, or could even decode stereo TV sound from channel 3/4 outputs of some VCRs/cable boxes/TV tuners. Mine worked very well with a StarSight tuner/guide decoder in the 90's.
__________________
Chris Quote from another forum: "(Antique TV collecting) always seemed to me to be a fringe hobby that only weirdos did." |
![]() |
|
|