Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Rectangular Screen Tube Televisions

Notices

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #16  
Old 12-14-2008, 12:40 PM
Kiwick's Avatar
Kiwick Kiwick is offline
slave to 3 equines
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Italy
Posts: 448
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrohome View Post
Yes, that's a 1973-74 Philips 23-inch solid-state console I picked here in North Bay in that 1970's style low-boy cabinet with speakers on each side and a continuos-tune UHF tuner. The set also has a 23-inch Delta-Gun CRT as well.
Is this set based on the K9 chassis like the one in the pic? this chassis, along with the inline CRT version K11, is a real masterpiece
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF3434.jpg (173.3 KB, 42 views)
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 12-14-2008, 01:07 PM
Electrohome Electrohome is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 155
1973-74 Philips may have similiar chassis-has Delta-Gun CRT

Hello, I would have to take the back off of my Philips 1973-74 23-inch console to find out. I currently have that TV in storage right now. I thnk it may be similiar. Allso, does yours have a delta-gun CRT too, just curious. About what year is your set-thanks. Mine fully works and I can get channel 2 with no antenna on it. It's got a delta-gun CRT. It came from an older couple here in North Bay.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 12-14-2008, 03:23 PM
julianburke julianburke is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Knoxville, Tennessee
Posts: 649
About 19 or so years ago, my wife and I went to see a movie. There is an electronic shop next door to the theater and when we parked I walked through the shop's parking lot. They had tossed out a nice complete little Porta Color. Of course I picked it up and put it in the car. I forget what movie was playing because all I could think of during the show was that little TV and what was wrong with it.

Guess what? When I got home and took the back off all that was wrong with it was a bad on/off switch and it worked perfectly!! I sold it the next day for $100!
__________________
julian
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 12-14-2008, 06:46 PM
Kiwick's Avatar
Kiwick Kiwick is offline
slave to 3 equines
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Italy
Posts: 448
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrohome View Post
Hello, I would have to take the back off of my Philips 1973-74 23-inch console to find out. I currently have that TV in storage right now. I thnk it may be similiar. Allso, does yours have a delta-gun CRT too, just curious. About what year is your set-thanks. Mine fully works and I can get channel 2 with no antenna on it. It's got a delta-gun CRT. It came from an older couple here in North Bay.
I have two K9 sets, one from 1973 the other from 1975. the K9 chassis was made from 1972 to about 1976

They all had shallow 110 degree delta gun CRTs, if it has a 90 degree CRT then it's not a K9.

In 1974 the K9 was modified into the K11 chassis which was intended to drive Philips' new 20AX inline CRT, the signal and power supply boards are exactly the same as in K9 sets.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 12-16-2008, 11:06 AM
zenith2134's Avatar
zenith2134 zenith2134 is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: UTC -4
Posts: 2,546
1966 Portacolor

Here's mine with a new 11SP22 installed (thanks, Dave A.)

I use it here and there, but with all this talk of energy concern I feel kinda bad since it uses 200 watts and throws a massive amount of heat.

Its almost as old as the 'boat' in my avatar and the ride is just as rough

Got the same exact one as Findm Keepm it seems. Trust me, the pic on this one is better than my photos show-I can't take a picture to save my life

Built in good ol' Electronics Park, Syracuse, NY.

Keep em comin', fellas!

Last edited by zenith2134; 03-25-2009 at 04:18 PM.
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #21  
Old 12-16-2008, 12:02 PM
newhallone newhallone is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 524
Use it in the winter time. That way you can kill two birds with one stone. Watch tv and heat your pad! Makes a good space heater.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 12-16-2008, 04:03 PM
Findm-Keepm's Avatar
Findm-Keepm Findm-Keepm is offline
Followin' the Rules...
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 2,857
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenith2134 View Post
Here's mine with a new 11SP22 installed (thanks, Dave A.)

I use it here and there, but with all this talk of energy concern I feel kinda bad since it uses 200 watts and throws a massive amount of heat.

Its almost as old as the 'boat' in my avatar and the ride is just as rough

Got the same exact one as Findm Keepm it seems. Trust me, the pic on this one is better than my photos show-I can't take a picture to save my life

Built in good ol' Electronics Park, Syracuse, NY.

Keep em comin', fellas!
Your picture taking abilities are a lot better than mine! And your set looks better too!!

Cheers,
__________________
Brian
USN RET 22YRS (Avionics/Cal)
CET-Consumer Repair and Avionics ('88)
"Capacitor Cosmetologist since '79"

When fuses go to work, they quit!
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 12-16-2008, 05:56 PM
Sandy G's Avatar
Sandy G Sandy G is offline
Spiteful Old Cuss
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Rogersville, Tennessee
Posts: 9,571
My dad was kinda big on "gadgets"-He got one in late '65 or early '66 to replace an AWFUL Sears mini-console that-I SWEAR-Hated us. Anyhow, the little Porta-Potty was on 18/7 for something like 8 years, when we got a 17" Trinitron. I don't remember it giving any trouble, we got a REAL trooper w/that set. Guess that's another reason I have such a soft spot in my heart for 'em...But yeah, I remember it would get hot as a firecracker w/all those tubes a-glowin' in it...
__________________
Benevolent Despot
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 12-16-2008, 06:00 PM
zenithfan1's Avatar
zenithfan1 zenithfan1 is offline
Mark
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Kenosha, Wisconsin
Posts: 4,211
Hey zenith2134, that is one sharp lookin' Porta-Color you got yourself there! I give it the thumbs up too!
__________________
My TV page and YouTube channel
Kyocera R-661, Yamaha RX-V2200
National Panasonic SA-5800
Sansui 1000a, 1000, SAX-200, 5050, 9090DB, 881, SR-636, SC-3000, AT-20
Pioneer SX-939, ER-420, SM-B201
Motorola SK77W-2Z tube console
McIntosh MC2205, C26
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 12-19-2008, 02:57 PM
tritwi's Avatar
tritwi tritwi is offline
zenith mad
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Florence (Italy)
Posts: 125
Portacolor

This is my original porta color made by Ge. Curiously it doesn't show the name "porta color" anyway.
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #26  
Old 12-19-2008, 02:59 PM
tritwi's Avatar
tritwi tritwi is offline
zenith mad
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Florence (Italy)
Posts: 125
forgot the picture...

picture of my porta color ge
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00031.jpg (44.5 KB, 40 views)
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 12-19-2008, 08:06 PM
dtuomi's Avatar
dtuomi dtuomi is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Thousand Oaks, CA
Posts: 231
That's a nice picture, tritwi. Is that portacolor an NTSC one? I think someone made a Portcolor that was PAL or Simple PAL or something.

David
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 12-24-2008, 11:09 AM
tritwi's Avatar
tritwi tritwi is offline
zenith mad
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Florence (Italy)
Posts: 125
kuba portacolor

Hi David, yes the Ge portacolor is an original NTSC model. I fed it with a multistandard VCR playing an NTSC tape. The picture is quite good! This picture shows my other portacolor (the european model you mention). It is a simple PAL set and it shares very little of its ciruitry with the original portacolor despite the fact both sets employ the same type of picture tube and have a very similar look.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Immagini 733.jpg (46.0 KB, 19 views)
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 12-24-2008, 11:29 AM
tritwi's Avatar
tritwi tritwi is offline
zenith mad
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Florence (Italy)
Posts: 125
other european portacolor

There was another set using the same chassis and tube of the european kuba porta color, this was the telefunken telecolor (left picture). It just had a more modern look.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Digitalizzato a 24-12-2008 18.30.jpg (43.1 KB, 21 views)
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 12-24-2008, 12:04 PM
zenith2134's Avatar
zenith2134 zenith2134 is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: UTC -4
Posts: 2,546
It's amazing to see how many variations of the Portacolor were produced. Tons!

I like your PAL pal.
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
Reply



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:57 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
©Copyright 2012 VideoKarma.org, All rights reserved.