Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Rectangular Screen Tube Televisions

Notices

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #16  
Old 11-07-2008, 03:22 PM
zenithfan1's Avatar
zenithfan1 zenithfan1 is offline
Mark
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Kenosha, Wisconsin
Posts: 4,211
Me too Bryan! NO FLAT SCREENS PERIOD. No CRT, no tv for me.
__________________
My TV page and YouTube channel
Kyocera R-661, Yamaha RX-V2200
National Panasonic SA-5800
Sansui 1000a, 1000, SAX-200, 5050, 9090DB, 881, SR-636, SC-3000, AT-20
Pioneer SX-939, ER-420, SM-B201
Motorola SK77W-2Z tube console
McIntosh MC2205, C26
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 11-07-2008, 03:25 PM
hwirt's Avatar
hwirt hwirt is offline
AK Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Buffalo NY
Posts: 13
When the cost of a LCD or other flat screen display costs less to manufacture than the same sized CRT the CRT will be no more.
__________________
McIntosh MC352, 2 MC2300's gone but not forgotten
Carver M1.5t & C1
Squeezebox Classic 2000+ CD's
Sony PS-X600 Shure V15 type V
JBL L220 Oracle
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 11-07-2008, 03:29 PM
zenithfan1's Avatar
zenithfan1 zenithfan1 is offline
Mark
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Kenosha, Wisconsin
Posts: 4,211
True, but I have so many CRT sets I could never use them up in my life time, even If I only got one year from each or maybe less. So, I have no worries. Time marches on and so does progress, sometimes blindly like lemmings but marching on nonetheless. Nice signature BTW.
__________________
My TV page and YouTube channel
Kyocera R-661, Yamaha RX-V2200
National Panasonic SA-5800
Sansui 1000a, 1000, SAX-200, 5050, 9090DB, 881, SR-636, SC-3000, AT-20
Pioneer SX-939, ER-420, SM-B201
Motorola SK77W-2Z tube console
McIntosh MC2205, C26
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 11-07-2008, 08:39 PM
kx250rider's Avatar
kx250rider kx250rider is offline
REAL TVs have TUBES!
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Los Angeles & Dallas
Posts: 3,239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherdude View Post
As long as they're used in 99.99% of hotel and motel rooms, I'm guessing they'll still be around for a while.

Not forever, though...like rotary dial phones, their time is passing.
I forgot about hotels... I think they'll be there for awhile, simply because they're more durable than LCD or plasma. Some hotel sets get rough treatment. I've fixed a few of them over the years for local hotels in the Los Angeles area.

I've stayed in probably 10 hotels/motels in the past year, and all were CRT, including the Fairmont Empress Hotel in Victoria, Canada... You'd think at their prices, they'd have had an LCD set if any did. Our room had a Phillips 27" CRT set. That was the only luxury hotel I was in, but others like Days Inn, Motel 6, etc etc., had 19" Zeniths, 20" Phillips, and so forth. Also the cruise ship we were on last summer (Celebrity Infinity) had 20" tube sets, but we were in a mid-priced stateroom. Not sure what was in the higher-priced rooms and suites.

Charles
__________________
Collecting & restoring TVs in Los Angeles since age 10
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 11-07-2008, 08:47 PM
Fisherdude's Avatar
Fisherdude Fisherdude is offline
The Golden Age of Hi-Fi
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Lewiston, ID
Posts: 324
I don't travel as much as I did before I've retired, but I still do 10-12 nights a year in hotels, some nice, and I've never seen anything other than crt's.

Of course, I haven't stayed in any Presidential Suites!
__________________
I may be growing older, but I refuse to grow up.
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #21  
Old 11-07-2008, 08:57 PM
zenith2134's Avatar
zenith2134 zenith2134 is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: UTC -4
Posts: 2,546
Well the hotels I stayed at were nothing fancy.... Motel 6 in upstate NY, Days Inn in NJ, and a Ramada near Atlantic City and they all had LCDs. Last cruise was on Royal Caribbean (Explorer of the Seas) and the sets were 19" made in Mexico BPC. On Carnival cruises, the midpriced rooms had Zenith BPC crt as well. They'll be around for a long time I guess in these applications.

And for arcade games I hope they stay TUBE.
Reply With Quote
Reply



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:10 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
©Copyright 2012 VideoKarma.org, All rights reserved.