Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Rectangular Screen Tube Televisions

Notices

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #16  
Old 06-07-2004, 10:44 AM
Jeffhs's Avatar
Jeffhs Jeffhs is offline
<----Zenith C845
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Fairport Harbor, Ohio (near Lake Erie)
Posts: 4,035
Quote:
Originally posted by Chad Hauris
The thing is about the Quasars, the flyback transformer, horizontal output and damper tubes are in the rear of the set, not on the works in the drawer...I don't know if the totally solid state models have the deflection components on the "drawer" or not.
Considering how hot the horizontal output and damper run in all TV sets, it's a good thing they aren't in the drawer in Motorola's tube-powered works-in-drawer sets. The heat from those two tubes alone would probably melt the front panel in no time flat the first time the set was turned on, not to mention causing a fire hazard and/or making the panel so hot it would be difficult or impossible to adjust the controls--let alone melting the shafts --unless the panel and control shafts were made of heat-resistant material.

BTW, I noticed a button on the front panel of jstout66's set with the stylized "M" Motorola trademark on it. Was/is this an automatic color control or some other defeatable system? Also, wasn't there a version of this design with push-button UHF tuning, five buttons across the control panel arranged something like the presets on old car radios? If so, how were these buttons adjusted for the local UHF stations in a given area? I've seen at least one set with an arrangement like that.
__________________
Jeff, WB8NHV

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 06-07-2004, 11:26 AM
jstout66 jstout66 is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Ne
Posts: 1,484
4th slider from the left is brightness. Also notice how there is a Hue AND a tint control? And like I stated earlier, this set is one of the first production runs for the "works in a drawer", (1968) so I'm not sure they used any tubes. (in the consoles anyway). the set is very service friendly for those who know what they're doing. (not me) I still have a vertical problem on this set, and think Doug is going to come get it sometime as he has been looking for a plain cabinet style in a "WID" set. I think the sets with the pushbutton UHF were in the last production run when it was still owned by Motorola which would have been 1973/1974. Captain Moody would know for sure. I never saw many Motorola's "back in the day", and NEVER run across any now, so I'm not familiar with em....... This set was very well taken care of, and the cabinet is beautiful. Also displayed a very good picture before the vertical went nuts.......
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 06-07-2004, 11:31 AM
jstout66 jstout66 is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Ne
Posts: 1,484
oh... and Jeff, those push-button UHF's were set like a car radio. I think there was still a UHF knob, and you would set your station by pulling the button ALL the way out and pushing it back in. As for the emblem on my set... Not sure if a color control was available or not on this chassis. I know they had the "INSTA-something" auto color control on later models.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 06-07-2004, 12:47 PM
captainmoody's Avatar
captainmoody captainmoody is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Roseville, MI
Posts: 1,052
Fourth from the left Jason is intensity, Or color level.
BTW, Pushbutton tuning was available on that model. My 1968 combo has it.

Last edited by captainmoody; 06-07-2004 at 12:54 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 06-07-2004, 12:57 PM
jasonlava
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally posted by captainmoody
Fourth from the left Jason is intensity, Or color level.
OK, thanks. Those Motorolas are neat sets, my aunt and uncle had the later version with the flip down door and the radio buttons. Far as I remember it was a good set and I loved all the buttons.
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #21  
Old 06-07-2004, 01:54 PM
jstout66 jstout66 is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Ne
Posts: 1,484
ooopssss. see.. I can't even count from left, so can you imagine me trying to fix it.... LOL!
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 06-07-2004, 10:32 PM
tv beta guy
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
RE: Picture of Motorola

That is one nice looking TV. I like all the sliders and knobs. Thing I am wondering is why does it have a separate hue and tint control? I thought those were the same thing. Unless one is a coarse adjustment and other fine.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 06-08-2004, 06:19 AM
Chad Hauris's Avatar
Chad Hauris Chad Hauris is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: West Texas
Posts: 2,085
I think the hue is the chroma phase control, what we would call tint on most sets.

The "tint" control here is probably the color temperature control, for controlling the color balance of the three electron guns, like varying the screen controls...it can make the picture either toward a sepia tone or a bluish tone, like the color temperature control on a computer monitor. Admiral calls this control "color fidelity".
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 06-08-2004, 08:11 AM
captainmoody's Avatar
captainmoody captainmoody is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Roseville, MI
Posts: 1,052
Before you guys get in any long discussions look at the pic again, It has a tint and intensity, (or color level) controls not tint and hue!
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 06-08-2004, 09:00 AM
Chad Hauris's Avatar
Chad Hauris Chad Hauris is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: West Texas
Posts: 2,085
It looks like the Hue and Intensity are slide controls, the Tint is a round control underneath the slide control panel.
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #26  
Old 06-08-2004, 10:15 AM
captainmoody's Avatar
captainmoody captainmoody is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Roseville, MI
Posts: 1,052
Oh, Ok. I thought you were talking about the sliders!
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 06-24-2004, 09:39 PM
jstout66 jstout66 is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Ne
Posts: 1,484
Since I was unable to get this set repaired (despite the excellent help from Captain Moody) I am offering it to anyone who is interested. It has a vertical problem that makes it unwatchable. Before that problem, the picture was perfect. PM me if interested. The set would have to be picked up tho, as it is solid wood and heavy! I'm in Omaha.
Reply With Quote
Reply



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:40 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
©Copyright 2012 VideoKarma.org, All rights reserved.