Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Rectangular Screen Tube Televisions

Notices

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #16  
Old 09-01-2008, 10:21 PM
zenith2134's Avatar
zenith2134 zenith2134 is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: UTC -4
Posts: 2,546
Would it be alright to up the filter caps' value a bit? Feel like it would help with the line-fluctuation issue. In the past, I've doubled the PS capacitance of audio amps with good results.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 09-01-2008, 10:26 PM
radiotvnut's Avatar
radiotvnut radiotvnut is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Meridian, MS
Posts: 6,025
I don't think it would hurt to go up on the values a little. I probably wouldn't go over 25%. Of course, you can always go up on the working voltage.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 09-01-2008, 10:29 PM
bgadow's Avatar
bgadow bgadow is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Federalsburg, MD
Posts: 5,865
The easiest time to find old TV sets is when they are still considered usable. Right now there is basically nobody (besides us) using tube/hybrid tv sets on a daily basis. If they were using one it would have to, at some point, have a repair, and who would fix it? Most repair shops would refuse it. Because Portacolors were in production so late, and were reasonably durable, a few still come out of the woodwork. I bought one about 3 years ago at a flea market where it was being used to demonstrate video games. The digital switchover is really going to change that market, of course. I am curious to see what the used electronics vendors at the flea market will be doing come spring.

I don't aspire to own much of anything from the 80s right now...but someday I know I'll wish I saved more.
__________________
Bryan
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 09-01-2008, 11:50 PM
radiotvnut's Avatar
radiotvnut radiotvnut is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Meridian, MS
Posts: 6,025
I was thinking and the only older TV that I know of in daily use by a non-collector is an early to mid '70's Zenith console. I've never actually seen it; but, the people that own it have a 32 year old daughter and they said they bought it before she was born. I know their daughter and she confirmed that it's an old Zenith console with knobs. They said that it's only been serviced once in it's life. I remind them all the time that I want it when it dies. They are shocked and can't imagine WHY I would want such an old set. There's a chance this set uses the horizontal solid state chromacolor chassis. If that's the case, I may have a long wait because those things never die.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 09-02-2008, 11:15 PM
N9ZQA's Avatar
N9ZQA N9ZQA is offline
VK Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Joliet, Illinois
Posts: 161
I've got both an AA (10", 1977) and an AC (13", 1983) chassis. The AA has a wonderful picture in spite of the coarseness of the picture tube, and from 6 feet away it doesn't look all that bad. It's been around as long as I can remember - it was my grandparents' kitchen TV and then it rattled around my parents' house for quite some time. It got back to me after it quit working as Dad's barn TV. Took a lot of cleaning, a fuse, and a damper diode to get it presentable again, and I'm still chasing bad solder joints here and there.

The AC was a $3 thrift-store purchase in hopes of nabbing the damper diode for the AA, so I can't vouch for its picture other than 'the screen lights up'. When I get around to putting a Mouser order together for some other projects (including the dead Admiral in my living room), I'll splurge and get both of them a fresh diode.

Have the same problem as the OP mentioned; on a white screen I can see a very slight hum bar, and when the air kicks on, the picture sucks in for a second or so. Guess I'll have to change the cap out someday. The service information in the compartment on the back is a great thing; it's nice to be able to open one up and have all the vitals at your fingertips.

-Jim
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #21  
Old 09-02-2008, 11:38 PM
zenith2134's Avatar
zenith2134 zenith2134 is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: UTC -4
Posts: 2,546
Yes it is. All sets should include a manual this way (imagine!)

I haven't changed any caps yet but last time I was in there I re-did convergence and greyscale and its truly a nice TV.
Reply With Quote
Reply



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:01 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
©Copyright 2012 VideoKarma.org, All rights reserved.