Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Rectangular Screen Tube Televisions

Notices

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #16  
Old 06-19-2008, 04:17 PM
zenith2134's Avatar
zenith2134 zenith2134 is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: UTC -4
Posts: 2,546
I was of course referring to the weight for its screen size. New sets with a comparable screen size CRT are much lighter. Sure there are gargantuan 36" CRT sets today, as well as heavy 25inchers where all of the weight is the tube. A ctc-72 is a much heavier chassis than anything found in a modern tv.

Radiotvnut, my Sony Wega 27" flat screen was heavy, but man was the cabinet cheap! I felt like the sides and bottom bezel wuld snap in half when handling it. Cheap as could be.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 06-19-2008, 04:33 PM
radiotvnut's Avatar
radiotvnut radiotvnut is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Meridian, MS
Posts: 6,025
I think I have the exact same WEGA. Heavy as lead and a cheap cabinet. We'll see how many pieces mine breaks into when I throw it in a dumpster.

If you really wan't to see a heavy duty RCA chassis, find a CTC74 or a CTC81 (IIRC). Those were the first ColorTrak chassis from the mid '70's and they were designed to fold down for service. Huge power transformer and all metal construction except for the modules. I think those sets were heavier than a Zenith!
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 06-19-2008, 08:41 PM
zenith2134's Avatar
zenith2134 zenith2134 is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: UTC -4
Posts: 2,546
Seems like RCA used a ton of metal in the manufacture of their chassis up until maybe the CTC117 came around. I have an '83 colortrak somewhere with a 117 and it's a great set. However, my ctc130c used hardly any substantial metal IIRC, and that was a much more advanced chassis, with stereo sound/tone controls, more remote functions, av inputs, and better OSD.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 06-20-2008, 12:28 AM
Findm-Keepm's Avatar
Findm-Keepm Findm-Keepm is offline
Followin' the Rules...
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 2,857
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiotvnut View Post
I think the worst quality cabinet I've seen in recent years was that of a Sharp set. Those cabinets seem to be very brittle and will break very easily.

I Concur - I have one with a back that is a glued together jigsaw-puzzle from being set down roughly. Went to move it recently and the flared apron on the front broke - couldn't be more than a 16th of an inch of plastic. Sharp, but THIN...

Cheers
__________________
Brian
USN RET 22YRS (Avionics/Cal)
CET-Consumer Repair and Avionics ('88)
"Capacitor Cosmetologist since '79"

When fuses go to work, they quit!
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 06-20-2008, 10:34 AM
zenithfan1's Avatar
zenithfan1 zenithfan1 is offline
Mark
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Kenosha, Wisconsin
Posts: 4,211
90s Trinitrons had some of the worst cabinets I've seen, you could crack the front under the CRT just by pushing on it with your fingers or if you set the thing down too hard. I had a 32" that was breaking because the CRT was too heavy for the plastic to support it.
__________________
My TV page and YouTube channel
Kyocera R-661, Yamaha RX-V2200
National Panasonic SA-5800
Sansui 1000a, 1000, SAX-200, 5050, 9090DB, 881, SR-636, SC-3000, AT-20
Pioneer SX-939, ER-420, SM-B201
Motorola SK77W-2Z tube console
McIntosh MC2205, C26
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #21  
Old 06-20-2008, 12:44 PM
andy andy is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 4,004
...

Last edited by andy; 12-06-2021 at 11:09 AM.
Reply With Quote
Reply



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:57 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
©Copyright 2012 VideoKarma.org, All rights reserved.