Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Movies, shows, & programs

Notices

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #16  
Old 03-21-2007, 01:24 PM
Sandy G's Avatar
Sandy G Sandy G is offline
Spiteful Old Cuss
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Rogersville, Tennessee
Posts: 9,571
Newton Minnow said it best back in 1960, I think..."Television is a vast wasteland..."
__________________
Benevolent Despot
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 03-21-2007, 02:01 PM
Andyman's Avatar
Andyman Andyman is offline
Scroungus Stereophilus
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: North of Detroit, East of Grumpy. West of Kegger
Posts: 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarence
are you smarter than a fifth grader is one of the worst shows I have ever seen.
I'd guess if you were watching it, the answer would be "No".

Personally, I haven't watched much network TV aside from the NFL for years. Old movies on AMC, TNT, or TMC, and regular programming on Discovery, History, Bravo, TLC, Nat. Geo. pretty much sum it up for me.
Dirty Jobs, Mythbusters, flipping and remodeling shows, and documentaries are the standard fare for me.

But I did find out that BBC1 has Mrs. Peel on at 5PM daily
__________________
I think the world is run by "C" students - Al McGuire
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 03-21-2007, 02:08 PM
doctorbongo's Avatar
doctorbongo doctorbongo is offline
AK Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by OvenMaster
I'm just glad "Friends" died. Finally.
What I can't stand are the tabloid shows like ET, Inside Edition, Access Hollywood, or the flamin' PBS beg-a-thons that come on like clockwork every two months. Who the hell really wants to see Roy Orbison again and again and again? It's gotten to the point where the only shows I give a crap about are "Family Guy" and Letterman.
Tom
The death of a popular show is our guarantee we will see that show interminably on innumerable channels. When they are in production,
it's on once, perhaps twice in a week. Once they go into syndication,
they appear all over the cable/satellite dial. As someone already pointed out, the sun never sets on the CSI and Law & Order empires.
__________________
Never said I was a stool pigeon. Never said I was a diplomat.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 03-21-2007, 02:10 PM
doctorbongo's Avatar
doctorbongo doctorbongo is offline
AK Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 30
Andyman is right. True, but strange, I have seen no fewer than a dozen stellar shows about ancient history lately. The advantage of comic book looks at historical events such as the battle of Thermopylae or the sinking of the Titanic is the FACTUAL channels jump in with everything they have on the subjects.
__________________
Never said I was a stool pigeon. Never said I was a diplomat.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 03-21-2007, 02:25 PM
gadget73's Avatar
gadget73 gadget73 is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Southern NJ
Posts: 134
Only thing I actually sit in front of the TV to watch is the History Channel, every day on my lunch break I see Modern Marvels. I also watch NCIS sometimes, but most everything else I download. I don't actually own a tv set of my own, the only one is the one in the living room which I seldom actually "live" in. Most everything else I download to view, eliminates the commercials problems and I don't have to schedule my life around the tv.
__________________
Random bits of stuff in the collection:
Yamaha YP-D4 turntable with B&O MMC 10E cart
Allied 495 receiver
2 Magnavox amps, AMP150 and an AMP178, currently under the knife.
Onkyo TX-4500
Onkyo Radian III speakers
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #21  
Old 03-21-2007, 02:59 PM
Sandy G's Avatar
Sandy G Sandy G is offline
Spiteful Old Cuss
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Rogersville, Tennessee
Posts: 9,571
Maybe I oughta start watching more of thes Judge shows...An' that Guthy Renker crap too...Most of the time, if I start likin' a show, that's the death-knell for it...Wonder if that would work for the most awful of the awful, those Preacher shows they love to have so much here...I'm talkin' about ones that make Jim & Tammy Fae look Suave 'n' Debonaire-erm, Swob 'n' Deboner as they say 'round here...Picture a 65-year-old guy-Brother Billy-Bob- w/half a can of 10W-50 motor oil on his hair, for that "slick" look, wearing a jacket w/lapels so wide, they'd laughed at it in 1974. The jacket is, of course, a multi-color houndstooth chek, made from 110% gen-u-wine Polly-Esther. The camera & mike this guy is shouting into date from the Carter Administration, which may explain the loud BUZZZZZ on the audio, & the fact his face is a nice shade of purple. Or it could be an incipient coronary, which Brother Billy-Bob is a-fixin' to have, a result from havin' one too many fried-chicken, mashed-taters, 'n' gravy dinners over the last 40 years or so. But don't worry, that just means he'll get to go to his Just Reward that much sooner...
__________________
Benevolent Despot
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 03-21-2007, 03:54 PM
Andyman's Avatar
Andyman Andyman is offline
Scroungus Stereophilus
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: North of Detroit, East of Grumpy. West of Kegger
Posts: 261
One thing I do watch quite a bit are the old "The Cosby Shows", especially the earlier ones.

As a parent, I can't say enough about what he did with that show; intelligently portraying a loving, realistic family and making it funny to boot. Black white, purple, yellow or green, the guy really deserves a medal for what he did.

Too bad nothing even comes close to it these days..........
__________________
I think the world is run by "C" students - Al McGuire
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 03-21-2007, 04:01 PM
Sandy G's Avatar
Sandy G Sandy G is offline
Spiteful Old Cuss
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Rogersville, Tennessee
Posts: 9,571
I always thought Felicia Rashad was quite a Fox, & Lisa Bonet was cute, but after she did that dreadful movie-I can only imagine what Dr. Huxtable woulda had to say about THAT...
__________________
Benevolent Despot
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 03-21-2007, 04:08 PM
Andyman's Avatar
Andyman Andyman is offline
Scroungus Stereophilus
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: North of Detroit, East of Grumpy. West of Kegger
Posts: 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy G
I always thought Felicia Rashad was quite a Fox, & Lisa Bonet was cute, but after she did that dreadful movie-I can only imagine what Dr. Huxtable woulda had to say about THAT...
I thought Cosby basically fired her after those scenes with Mickey Rourke in "Angel Heart". At the very least, he was VERY PO'd and did boot her off for a while.

I do like that movie, even w/o LB...........
__________________
I think the world is run by "C" students - Al McGuire
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 03-21-2007, 04:47 PM
grumpy's Avatar
grumpy grumpy is offline
Admin
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Michigan
Posts: 380
Any show that has to do with being a supposed pop idol. The worst thing to happen to TV next to that imbecilic Survivor crap.

OK how about any reality show thats about as real as 3 dollar bill.

I watch maybe 2 non history channel shows each week if that.
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #26  
Old 03-21-2007, 04:50 PM
gadget73's Avatar
gadget73 gadget73 is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Southern NJ
Posts: 134
yeah, *idol, survivor*, and that fear factor show where they eat bugs, gotta go. The FF one always used to be on when I'd go to the bar for hot wings. Something about watching people eat gross stuff while I'm attempting to eat my food does not appeal to me.
__________________
Random bits of stuff in the collection:
Yamaha YP-D4 turntable with B&O MMC 10E cart
Allied 495 receiver
2 Magnavox amps, AMP150 and an AMP178, currently under the knife.
Onkyo TX-4500
Onkyo Radian III speakers
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 03-21-2007, 09:09 PM
Tedrick's Avatar
Tedrick Tedrick is offline
Infinity-phile
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Gainesville, FL
Posts: 3
Shows that gotta go: gossip shows, reality TV, daytime talk shows, soaps, infomercials of any kind, endless self-exalting awards shows (Oscars, Emmys, etc.), World poker tour, WNBA telecasts.
__________________
Tedrick
Gainesville, FL

MAIN SYSTEM
VPI HW-19 Mk IV+/AQ PT-6/Dynavector 17D3 Karat/Musical Surroundings Nova Phonomena/VPI SDS
Music Hall Maverick -- Kenwood KT-990D -- Forte Model 2 -- Forte Model 3 (x2) -- Chang Lightspeed HTS-1000
Infinity RS-IIb's
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 03-22-2007, 08:36 AM
Dusty Chalk
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
None of them -- let the masses watch what they want, I could care less. Just slip in some subliminal messages about using contraception so that they don't take over the world. Stupid people shouldn't breed.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 03-22-2007, 10:23 AM
Grainger49's Avatar
Grainger49 Grainger49 is offline
AK Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Knoxville
Posts: 43
Ya see . . . . . . . Everyone has different taste. Programming is aimed at different markets, different ages, different . . . you get the picture.

Some of my favorites have been named. I am certain I will step on other's toes (And include all permutations of a series):

Next Top Model, Deal Or No Deal, Apprentice, Housewives, Dirty Jobs, Dancing With The Stars, Funniest...., Judge...., American Idol, Survivor...., Next Top Model, October Road, Are You Smarter... and anything with fat muscled wrestlers.

Let the flames begin!
__________________
"Remember, you are the only one who needs to like the sound of your system."

Grainger Morrison

Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 03-22-2007, 10:35 AM
zr1gary's Avatar
zr1gary zr1gary is offline
AK Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: MN and AR
Posts: 1
I'm with Grumpy...most of the stuff...especially anything with the word 'idol' is not getting watched at my house.
I do like Boston Legal....Shatner is the new Archie Bunker...
__________________
"Ad eundum quo nemo ante iit."
Gary
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
Reply



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:14 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
©Copyright 2012 VideoKarma.org, All rights reserved.