Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Rectangular Screen Tube Televisions

Notices

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #256  
Old 04-07-2013, 11:43 AM
andy andy is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 4,004
...

Last edited by andy; 12-05-2021 at 08:02 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #257  
Old 04-16-2013, 01:47 PM
etype2's Avatar
etype2 etype2 is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Valley of the Sun, formerly Silicon Valley, formerly Packer Land.
Posts: 1,641
We have 3 flat screens, but I use a Sony KD 34XBR960 in my office. Very deep blacks that no flat screen can match, including the now defunct Pioneer Kuro.
__________________

Last edited by etype2; 04-17-2013 at 06:24 PM. Reason: Correct model#
Reply With Quote
  #258  
Old 04-20-2013, 06:16 PM
NowhereMan 1966's Avatar
NowhereMan 1966 NowhereMan 1966 is offline
Slave to 1 Cat
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Tiltonsville, OH
Posts: 888
Quote:
Originally Posted by josephdaniel View Post
I watch my zenith from 1983 anywhere from 6 hours everyday and more in the summer since that's where I do most of my projects. I also use allot of aa5 am radios from the 30's and 40's when the TV is off ( I love talk radio and have an AM transmitter)
Our 1999 Sony bit the dust so we are back to using the 1982 Zenith 25 inch System 3 as a daily watcher.
__________________
Mom (1938 - 2013) - RIP, I miss you
Spunky, (1999 - 2016) - RIP, pretty girl!
Rascal, (2007 - 2021) RIP, miss you very much
Reply With Quote
  #259  
Old 04-20-2013, 09:25 PM
truetone36's Avatar
truetone36 truetone36 is offline
electronics packrat
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Trumann, AR.
Posts: 942
I use a '62 G.E. "Escort" portable set regularly in the mancave.
__________________
Dumont-First with the finest in television.
Reply With Quote
  #260  
Old 04-21-2013, 12:34 AM
Jeffhs's Avatar
Jeffhs Jeffhs is offline
<----Zenith C845
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Fairport Harbor, Ohio (near Lake Erie)
Posts: 4,035
I have two CRT TVs in storage, a Zenith "Sentry 2" 19" and an RCA CTC185 -- both table sets. The RCA was my daily watcher from 1999 until I got a flat screen almost two years ago. The Zenith was my daily watcher for four years at my former home, then when I moved in late '99 I bought the RCA and put the Zenith set in the bedroom, where it has been ever since. It isn't used much these days, so it has four years of actual usage hours on it. That set, incidentally, was made during the period in the '90s when Zenith TVs had bad CRTs; however, my set still has its original tube, which is still going strong after almost 18 years.


For NowhereMan1966: What finally happened to your Sony TV?

BTW, I am impressed by the years and years of good service your Zenith System 3 TV has given you since it was new in the early '80s. (What does your set look like? Is it the console model or the one shaped to fit in a corner of a room? Just curious.) Those sets were made when Zenith was still an American company with headquarters in Chicago, so they were built to last. I had two 13" Zenith color portables that lasted many years, and a small Zenith b&w portable that lasted over twenty years and was still working very well (only thing wrong with it was the detent mechanism on the UHF tuner broke) when I got rid of it 13 years ago, due to space limitations in my apartment.
__________________
Jeff, WB8NHV

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #261  
Old 04-21-2013, 10:44 AM
dieseljeep dieseljeep is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 7,562
That set, incidentally, was made during the period in the '90s when Zenith TVs had bad CRTs; however, my set still has its original tube, which is still going strong after almost 18 years.

I think the problems were with the 25 & 27" CRT's. It seems like the smaller CRT's lasted as long as the earlier issue tubes.
Reply With Quote
  #262  
Old 04-21-2013, 03:15 PM
Geoff Bourquin Geoff Bourquin is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Northwest Washington State
Posts: 365
4 CRTs and 2 LCDs in our house...13" Sony CRT for the kitchen, 24" Toshiba branded, Orion built TV/DVD/VCR for the bedroom, Daughters room a 20" Toshiba TV/DVD, and 5" B&W on my desk. Symphonic 37" LCD for my office TV and the main set is a 52" Sony/Mitsubishi hybrid built up from 3 sets in the junkpile
Reply With Quote
  #263  
Old 04-21-2013, 08:44 PM
Firebird's Avatar
Firebird Firebird is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 212
Sony KV-40XBR800

The ultimate crt, a 40 inch Sony.
Reply With Quote
  #264  
Old 04-21-2013, 09:44 PM
egrand
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
I still use a 12 inch Sylvania I got at Sams Club in 2000 as my bedroom set. It's the tv I first saw the 9-11 reports on. I'm really old fashioned as I still use a crt on my home computer.
Reply With Quote
  #265  
Old 04-22-2013, 07:50 AM
dieseljeep dieseljeep is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 7,562
Quote:
Originally Posted by egrand View Post
I still use a 12 inch Sylvania I got at Sams Club in 2000 as my bedroom set. It's the tv I first saw the 9-11 reports on. I'm really old fashioned as I still use a crt on my home computer.
Your Sylvania is probably a 13", made by Funai. They stood up really well, for a Funai product.
I finally retired my old CRT display for my computer.
I really like my new H/P LED 21.5" flat panel.
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #266  
Old 04-22-2013, 08:58 AM
egrand
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Right you are on all counts. It is model number sst413. It's been a trooper.

I really need a new computer and monitor, but I feel guilty replacing something that still works great. I was brought up by Depression era parents who tought us to never throw anything out if it still works. Actually, it was more like never throw anything out, period!
Reply With Quote
  #267  
Old 04-22-2013, 09:25 AM
dieseljeep dieseljeep is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 7,562
Quote:
Originally Posted by egrand View Post
Right you are on all counts. It is model number sst413. It's been a trooper.

I really need a new computer and monitor, but I feel guilty replacing something that still works great. I was brought up by Depression era parents who tought us to never throw anything out if it still works. Actually, it was more like never throw anything out, period!
You must be around my age. 68, last December.
My old CRT display had an intermittant in it and was changing colors all too often. Plus it took up my whole computer desk.
Reply With Quote
  #268  
Old 04-22-2013, 09:37 AM
egrand
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
I'm 45. My parents were older when they had me.
Reply With Quote
  #269  
Old 04-22-2013, 11:43 AM
AdamAnt316's Avatar
AdamAnt316 AdamAnt316 is offline
Collector of heavy things
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: MA
Posts: 140
We have a 27" Sony Trinitron Wega set in our living room (one of the later models; actually has a "SDTV" logo on the front), and a Samsung 19" TV/VCR combo in the kitchen. I'm soon going to be replacing a 19" Panasonic TV/VCR combo in my 'media room' with a 27" JVC set. It's not a TV, but the computer my upstairs office is hooked up to a 21" Hitachi SuperScan monitor.
-Adam
__________________
Visit my site!

Stereo: Pioneer SPEC-4, Pioneer SPEC-1, Kenwood KT-7500, Dual 1219, Nakamichi BX-100, Pioneer PD-M60, Paradigm Studio Monitors
Reply With Quote
  #270  
Old 04-22-2013, 12:53 PM
twbranch twbranch is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 28
I just picked up a JVC Video Sphere at a yard sale for 5 bux. I plan to clean it up and use in my shop for local news and tv. So yea I still use a CRT. Does that count?
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
Reply



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:29 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
©Copyright 2012 VideoKarma.org, All rights reserved.