Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Movies, shows, & programs

Notices

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #136  
Old 05-02-2007, 03:55 PM
Andyman's Avatar
Andyman Andyman is offline
Scroungus Stereophilus
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: North of Detroit, East of Grumpy. West of Kegger
Posts: 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Chalk
Good Shepherd -- ugh, hated that movie. If I ever need a zombie extra, I'm going to call on Matt Damon.
I really wanted to enjoy this movie, but it never happened. I got that on DVD last week and had a real hard time watching it. Damon's character, well, most of the characters, were so boring and uncompelling that I kept waiting to be drawn in but it never happened.
I tried watching it 3 times at bed and it just never got my attention. A line here and there was OK, but overall tedious would be a generous description.
__________________
I think the world is run by "C" students - Al McGuire
Reply With Quote
  #137  
Old 05-02-2007, 04:05 PM
Aage's Avatar
Aage Aage is offline
Custom User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 149
If you liked The Incredibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drybasement
The Incredibles

A wonderfully fun animated movie filled with lots of adult humor and satire. I'd like to see them do a sequel to this. The ending surely hinted at the possibility.
Chances are you might like "Cars".
__________________
Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted.
Reply With Quote
  #138  
Old 05-03-2007, 07:24 PM
Adam's Avatar
Adam Adam is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 2,383
The Silencers.

One of those Matt Helm pictures with Dean Martin as a secret agent, watched it several times on the Philco in my avatar, made in 1966, a great movie to watch on an early color set.
Reply With Quote
  #139  
Old 05-15-2007, 04:36 PM
Combwork's Avatar
Combwork Combwork is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Kirriemuir, Scotland
Posts: 82
28 Weeks.

Classic example of what happens when a quirky low budget British film is an unexpected success. High budget, high body count follow up; lots of bangs for the buck. I think the scriptwriter was one of the first casualties
__________________
Home brew & Hi-Fi. Quietly decomposing in the Scottish countryside.
Reply With Quote
  #140  
Old 05-15-2007, 05:48 PM
Eric H's Avatar
Eric H Eric H is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: So. Calif
Posts: 11,565
Dreamgirls

Very disappointing! I expected a movie about music, not a musical.

Starts out promising enough but about 45 minutes in they start singing the dialog, (Note, the first 45 minutes or so did not set it up to be a musical, it just sort of springs up unexpectedly!) the songs are largely annoying to boot.

Yes, Jennifer Hudson can sing, we get it, but they beat you over the head with it so hard you want to break the DVD in half.
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #141  
Old 05-15-2007, 11:51 PM
Dusty Chalk
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
I really liked 28 Weeks Later, a worthy follow-up.

Also saw Versus on DVD. Martial Arts (fist-fighting, kick-fighting, sword-fighting, gunplay) and zombies, but does become an exercise in tedium somewhere about the middle (and then goes back to being a good movie). Lots of Three Stooges/Evil Dead -type humour.
Reply With Quote
  #142  
Old 05-16-2007, 07:47 PM
tcdriver's Avatar
tcdriver tcdriver is offline
AK Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Valley of Heart's Delight
Posts: 75
Black Book (Zwartboek). I recommend this movie highly. Lots of twists and turns and plenty of excitement.

Synopsis: This thriller set in The Netherlands during World War II is based on the true story of Rachel Stein, a young, pretty Jewish woman hiding from the Nazis who falls for a high-ranking Gestapo officer while seeking revenge for her family's murders. "This astounding, thrilling and unforgettable drama, with often paralyzing suspense and powerful performances, will leave you breathless."--Toronto Eye Weekly. Dutch and German, with English subtitles.
__________________
Round and Round it goes
Reply With Quote
  #143  
Old 05-17-2007, 01:44 AM
Teron's Avatar
Teron Teron is offline
AK Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Out there somewhere --->
Posts: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimfet
I like that movie.
I also have the recording of Little lite of love played at the end of the movie by Peter Gabriel
Eric Serra, who did the excellent soundtrack for the Fifth Element, is the one singing the song. Although many do compare his voice to Peter Gabriel, Peter Gabriel did NOT sing that song. The girl singing in the song is also NOT Milla Jovovich either.

Eric Serra is often called the artist RXRA which is dumb cause that was an ALBUM name of his.

The Fifth Element Soundtrack, which is excellent, is one I listen to when testing gear and speakers. It has some mean low bass on certain tracks. It's interesting to compare speakers with certain tracks on that CD. I'd LOVE to find that soundtrack on vinyl.

I'm a huge fan of the movie. First time I saw it, I liked it, but didn't love it. Went back to the theater a couple days later to see it again. Loved it.

Milla is a total babe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meandog
watched resident evil.
resident evil is my fave
i watch it all the time.
to me it is company and a good story.
Milla is in it, she's swell. BTW, Marilyn Manson did the instrumental score for the first RE movie. The opening track Resident Evil Main Title Theme is most excellent. Even more so in the theater with all that pounding bass.

The soundtrack instrumentals were specifically done to creep people out and make you uneasy. A lot of research went into it to make it actually affect people who heard it. There was a pretty in depth article/interview I read/saw of MM and how much research and time he spent on this soundtrack. It's an awful shame he did not do the second one...the second one was weak and had a horrible soundtrack. I will say the only reason I felt on edge during the first movie, first viewing in a theater was simply because it was SO LOUD. Once on DVD it did not have the same effect on me. Still creepy sort of but the beginning of the movie and that main theme is awesome.

3rd one will be out this summer.


In regards to any Pixar film, all are good, even the weakest.

In regards to Hayao Miyazaki

Castle in the Sky, Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke and more are all excellent. IMDB him. So far I have yet to be disappointed by any of his work. Castle in the Sky was awesome. Initially I couldn't stand the granny character...but the robots in that movie are so awesome. Howl's moving castle wasn't, IMO as good as the others I've mentioned, but it was still good.

The Departed was awesome. Jack was a riot.

I saw the 300 recently, cool for what it was, a "graphic novel" (that's new PC correct or whatever terminoligy for a movie based on A COMIC BOOK!).

Man of the Year was pretty darn funny. I avoided it and glad I actually decided eh, give it a shot. It had a really really really really rahhhiiiiiiiiiihiiiihiiily weak computer glitch plot, but the funny was brung and it was brung well, the funny makes up for anything weak.

I recently watched Cowboy Bebop: The Movie.

Really need to just deal with it and buy the redone 5.1 release of the TV series. Cowboy Bebop is awesome.

I need to get my copy of Shaun of the Dead back from my friend. I also need to go see Hot Fuzz. Shaun of the Dead was hilarious. Hot Fuzz is supposed to be equally if not funnier.

Also...for anyone who liked the Fifth Element, or any of Luc Besson's other films(IMDB him) the Transporter and weaker sequel are cool...

Angel A is his new movie(not sure when release date is)...within the last couple of years there were reports that he was done with movies and a certain one would be his last. According to IMDB he's on as producer for several movies in 08/09...

Trailer for Angel A, including HD 480p/720p/1080p your choice!

http://www.apple.com/trailers/sony/angela/
__________________
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.
Reply With Quote
  #144  
Old 05-17-2007, 07:32 AM
Holst's Avatar
Holst Holst is offline
<Mahler and Me
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: S Crow Wing Co. Minnesota
Posts: 217
For your consideration.... pretty funny, I enjoyed it.
__________________
Main: McIntosh MC2125, McIntosh C27, Ohm Acoustics Walsh 300's, AMC CD8b, Luxman K-373, Marantz 2110, Phillips N4504 w/dbx 222/200/NX40, SOTA Moonbeam w/Shure V15II/JICO-SAS
Upstairs Mancave: Yaoin VK2100, Ohm Walsh F's, Luxman D-373, Sony ST-3950SD
Reply With Quote
  #145  
Old 05-17-2007, 08:39 AM
Mystic's Avatar
Mystic Mystic is offline
AK Subscriber
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: San Gabriel Valley
Posts: 68
About a week or so ago I was dragged, screaming, to a special 20th anniversary re-release screening of Dirty Dancing. It's better than I'd remembered, particularly all of the atmospheric, period schtick associated with the Catskills resorts. The original songs recorded for the film are pretty dull stuff (Time of Our Lives, She's Like The Wind, etc.), but the period music used during the scenes in the "dirty dancing" room is outstanding.
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #146  
Old 05-17-2007, 05:20 PM
ejguillot ejguillot is offline
AK Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Tampa FL
Posts: 3
Saw 300 as well, I have to second the general approval for this movie. Very entertaining.
__________________
Working Receivers: Pioneer SX-1080, Marantz 2230, 2275, TA-165
Broken Receivers: Marantz 4400,
Speakers: Infinity RSb (2 pairs), Pioneer CS-R500
Turntable: Thorens TD165 w/ Grado Black cart
Reply With Quote
  #147  
Old 05-18-2007, 12:50 AM
Cosmic's Avatar
Cosmic Cosmic is offline
AK Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 82
"The Piano Tuner of Earthquakes" by the Quay Brothers.

As expected with them, very dark, beautiful stuff, with live action, animation, and an ambiguous story. Not casual viewing, but memorable. Very fine DVD transfer also.

Caught "Cranes are Flying" on TCM by chance; had been a while so I watched it again. Great melodrama in a very Russian style; Citizen Kane-like cinematography.
A powerful anti-war film.

Best,
C
Reply With Quote
  #148  
Old 05-18-2007, 11:06 AM
onepixel's Avatar
onepixel onepixel is offline
.
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Bay Area, California
Posts: 154
Last week my friend turned me onto Layer Cake, 2004. With Daniel Craig. Drugs, whacks, proper English hoods and a convoluted story. It was entertaining albeit hard to follow at times. Overall a decent movie.
Reply With Quote
  #149  
Old 05-18-2007, 02:50 PM
Dusty Chalk
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic
"The Piano Tuner of Earthquakes" by the Quay Brothers.
I didn't realize this was out, will get it, thanks for mentioning it.
Reply With Quote
  #150  
Old 05-18-2007, 04:30 PM
thedelihaus's Avatar
thedelihaus thedelihaus is offline
See me,touch me,Thiel me
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Boston Area, Massachusetts
Posts: 178
Ditto for the "Piano Tuner"...

I'm a big Quay Bros. fan.
__________________
What you got back home, little sister, to play your fuzzy warbles on? I bet you got, say, pitiful, portable picnic players. Come with uncle and hear all proper! Hear angels' trumpets and devils' trombones. You are invited!
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
Reply



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:12 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
©Copyright 2012 VideoKarma.org, All rights reserved.