![]() |
|
|
|
#1
|
||||
|
||||
|
Picked up an RCA CTC17 console
A friend, who works out of town, found a flea market and he wanted me to see it. So, we took the 60 mile trip and when I walked in the door, I was greeted with the usual BPC/SPC crap. Then, I spotted what looked to be an old console surrounded with junk from all sides. I managed to get enough stuff moved to determine that it was a tube RCA color console.
I asked the guy for a price and he said $20. I gave him the usual speech about it being an old set that might end up being a dud and that I was not willing to gamble $20. I offered $10 and he took it. I also found one of the unofficial GE 10" "porta color III's", from '83, that uses the "AB" solid state chassis. He wanted $15 for that one; but, I got him down to $10. Turns out that it's dead as a doornail. He had another set that I should have gotten and may still get it if I have the chance to go back. It was a late '70's silver cased 15" RCA B&W. When Radio Shack introduced the TRS-80 computer, the monitor was actually a tuner-less version of this RCA B&W TV. My friend currently works in the area and I may get him to pick it up for me. Back to the RCA, the rain chances were pretty high; so, the shop owner loaned me some sort of cover than goes on a waterbed and he asked that it be returned. Lucky for me, I had the cover because we came through a few heavy showers on the way home. After getting the set home, I discovered that someone had replaced the original CRT with an RCA Colorama in '69. This tube has a cataract around the edges and tested very weak. It came up after I rejuvenated it; but, the reaction I got from the tester led me to believe that it may not last long. When I opened the flyback cage, I felt on the backside of the tire and discovered a deep burn hole about as wide as my finger that extends from the HV rectifier tube socket down to the core. So, I suspect a new flyback is in order. This is the first tube color console TV that I recall finding in a second-hand store in I don't know whenever. After leaving there, we hit a couple of places that had "pie in the sky" ideas as to what stuff is worth. One shop was run by a Mexican who had a beat up Philco hippo radio that he wanted $60 for. He had an early Magnavox handwired transistor multiband radio; but, it was missing the back and he wouldn't come off of the $30 price tag. I asked him what he was getting for 45 rpm records and he said $3/each. I told him that was way too much and he replied that he had no trouble getting those prices. Somehow, I think he was lying. My dealings with the Mexicans and Indians around here tells me that they are the type to want something for nothing; but, want a big price for their junk. The guy at this shop acted like he didn't care if he sold anything or not. The next shop had a pile of Magnavox/Funai DTV converters without remotes. I figured I could get them cheap; but, they wanted $30 each! No thanks! Considering that they had no remotes and no way to test them, $5 would have been a generous price. This shop also had a 13" clear cased RCA prison TV; but, judging by what they wanted for the converters, I was afraid to ask the price of the TV. I really wish these people would get a freakin' clue that this stuff is not valuable and they could sell more of it if they'd lower their prices. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCAzn-QPTwk ![]()
__________________
http://www.youtube.com/user/radiotvphononut Last edited by radiotvnut; 07-05-2013 at 10:13 PM. |
|
#2
|
|||
|
|||
|
I love that Cabinet.
How old is the set itself? Is it 23" or 25". |
|
#3
|
||||
|
||||
|
Circa '66 and it's a 23" viewable picture.
__________________
http://www.youtube.com/user/radiotvphononut |
|
#5
|
|||
|
|||
|
O wao! This is deja vu stuff.
I can remember like it was yesterday, uncrating our very first Rectangular color set for the sales floor. Lots of OOHs and AHs after knowing nothing but Roundies. It was the CTC-17 in a little floor-standing model like the one in the OP. One interesting feature peculiar to the '17 was a single transistor located somewhere in between the video detector and sync areas. |
| Audiokarma |
|
#6
|
|||
|
|||
|
hey old coot, how did the color of the brand new 25AP22's compare to the brand new roundies back when new?
|
|
#7
|
||||
|
||||
|
Quote:
Granted, Pincusion Correction would not always be perfect, and some sets were worse than others and mostly noticable at the top of the raster with words scrolling upwards. Even the clone chassis's were converted to support the 25AP/XP22 tube for many TV brands. I worked on a lot of those sets in which I would have been proud to have called my own! IMHO RCA was really on top of the their game before they got crazy with 6GH8's! |
|
#8
|
||||
|
||||
|
Love it. I recently acquired a CTC-17 combo unit, which is in the process of undergoing a cabinet resto. The red end cap on the CRT is indicative of a colorama replacement. I've got the same thing on my set. Looking forward to seeing your set (and my set) come back to life.
|
|
#9
|
|||
|
|||
|
(Sorry i missed your post earlier.) There wasn't anything strikingly different in the color rendition 'tween the Roundies and the first rectangulars. Nothing like the knock-your-socks-off reds and oranges in the 23" Motorolas with that crazy gated-beam demodulator.
|
|
#10
|
|||
|
|||
|
Rca ctc17
since this is a 23" set, when did they come out with 25" version? I thought a 25AP22 was a 25" diagonal Tube..? unless it was marketing
|
| Audiokarma |
|
#11
|
||||
|
||||
|
Quote:
Awesome find for $10. I agree with your sentiment that many recent immigrants do not subscribe to the henry ford idea of a normal and healthy profit. It's buy something for $10 and sell it for $200. However we are not talking about a commodity product here, like cans of soda or cigarettes. Can't go buy a 66 rca over at walmart can we? That leads to wildly different pricing in the second hand market. I've posted ads here to point out idiots trying to get $500, $600,$700 up to $1000 for basically a $20 tv. These people will never lower the price to the $20 it's worth, they will throw the set out before they "let someone get over on them". However, the market ultimately punishes unreasonable types. Your right, that mexican run store probably has limited sales, and may not be in business long. |
|
#12
|
||||
|
||||
|
Quote:
They'd rather make massive profit, produce disposable crap and keep North Americans unemployed. There should be a balance and there should be North American manufacturing excellent products with fair markup profit for owners. This will keep everyone happy. We dont owe anything to China, Mexico, south asia and Mexico.
__________________
flickr |
|
#13
|
||||
|
||||
|
The one thing that concerns me is that it appears that the cabinet bottom is made of particleboard and some shavings have already come off when I was moving the set. The set is currently in my humid basement; but, one of today's project is to get it in my shop because I don't want the dampness to have any negative effects on the cabinet.
__________________
http://www.youtube.com/user/radiotvphononut |
|
#14
|
||||
|
||||
|
Probably a good idea to put some type of sealer on that particle board so it doesn't get worse.
__________________
"It's a mad mad mad mad world" !! http://www.youtube.com/user/mwstaton64?feature=mhee |
|
#15
|
||||
|
||||
|
Any idea as to what kind of sealer I need?
__________________
http://www.youtube.com/user/radiotvphononut |
| Audiokarma |
![]() |
| Thread Tools | |
| Display Modes | |
|
|