Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

Notices

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #33  
Old 12-25-2006, 12:00 AM
Tubejunke's Avatar
Tubejunke Tubejunke is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Martinsville, VA
Posts: 1,823
Kirk, I think you get me wrong. No "wrong foot" at all. There really shouldnt be one as long as we are all use tact. I was describing the beauty of the debate with no punn or sarcasm. Again I think it is benificial to those of us climbing the ladder of learning things that they don't teach in school anymore. I am one of those people. Always learning. When that stops I will probably lose interest...I have seen debates where there never is a conclusion, so I was hoping to sort that out. I think we have.

Plus we have learned a neat new experiment that we can try in building solid state rectifiers. Save your old octal tube bases when they go bad. I think you could use them for mounting the diodes and a resistor.

About caps, I thought that the Electrolytics and Paper caps were similar in operation. I also thought that the whole theory of "slow warm" was to slowly charge all of the caps as opposed to throwing a shock to a very dormant system.

I think if we knew for sure that a rectifier tube is in fact conducting at say 70vac on the plates and 2.5 volts on the heater. That is what should be going on with the 100 watt bulb in the line. The power to the transformer is reduced to around half of line voltage. I have not taken a measurement but everything is proportional. (I was told half) If you cut the line voltage in half, everything else will be cut in half, such as the power transformer scondary output to the rectifier.

So, if Bill is right (and my money says he is) then everything is good to go for any of us doing the light bulb slow warm. The 5u4 is conducting at reduced voltage. I guess any of us with a good working set could take some measurements and then we could be more precise. I dont have room to tear apart one of my working sets. I may try to get some measurements from the set this thread is based on. That will only happen when I get more caps......

Any volunteers?
Reply With Quote
 


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:53 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
©Copyright 2012 VideoKarma.org, All rights reserved.