Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Rectangular Screen Tube Televisions

Notices

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #11  
Old 11-18-2006, 08:39 PM
wa2ise's Avatar
wa2ise wa2ise is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: USA
Posts: 3,147
Post

Back in 1981 I was working at the old RCA Sarnoff Labs in Princeton NJ, bsck when RCA was a real company that owned itself. We were kicking around the possibility of teletext reception in the USA. The teletext "carrier" frequency was to be 2.86MHz, or more precisely 4/5 the chroma subcarrier frequency. We did field tests of teletext reception, and pretty much found that everyone with a rooftop antenna could expect to get it, but forget it with rabbit ears. One task I had to do was create a psudeo-random teletext pattern generator to feed a French made Bit Error Rate teletext meter. One big problem was that all the documentation was written in French. I eventually figured out how to do it, by visiting another lab at WCBS-TV where they had a generator, and I looked with a scope at the preambles and so on. We already had a homebrew teletext generator, so all I had to do was add an extra circuit board with parallel to serial chips (for the preamble bit pattern) and a bunch of logic to create the psudeo-random pattern. A bunch of shifts and XOR gates, and lots of glue counters to tell it when to start and stop. Today you'd program an FPGA chip.

I once suggested that a teletext equipped TV set could make a great computer monitor (this was back in the old 8 bit days of Commodore 64 computers and Atari 2600 game machines, that used TV sets on channel 3 and you had fuzzy characters on the screen). Just have the computer "fake" a TV channel with teletext signals encoded on it. I don't think anyone ever actually did that.
Reply With Quote
 


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:47 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
©Copyright 2012 VideoKarma.org, All rights reserved.