Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Rectangular Screen Tube Televisions

Notices

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-13-2005, 12:41 PM
polaraman's Avatar
polaraman polaraman is offline
<--1956 300B
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Cayce , South Carolina
Posts: 1,063
Chad,

Looks like this year it was not raining and cold. I remember you wearing your rain gear last year. A good day would bring out the folks. Those big projection sets bring about $400 to $500 here also.

Post some pics of the two tube sets!


polaraman
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-13-2005, 01:06 PM
kx250rider's Avatar
kx250rider kx250rider is offline
REAL TVs have TUBES!
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Los Angeles & Dallas
Posts: 3,239
Cool

Wow; I wish we still had the monthly "bulky item trash day" in Los Angeles... All through the 70s, they would have a scheduled day where each neighborhood could put out large items for the trash. I was too young to drive, but would ride my bike around our neighborhood and see what I could get. It was a middle class World War II retired middle income neighborhood, so most had nice TVs from the beginning and would upgrade and discard the old. I found plenty of 60s color sets, B&W 50s consoles, all types. I even found a few small B&W round tube sets. But with the left-wing environmentalist lawsuit-happy feel-good California government (Post-Gov. Reagan), it is now an arrestable crime to leave a TV in the trash (or car tires, paint, or most anything). So the way they do it now is that they hold recycle drives at designated locations a few times a year, and highly-paid men in white plastic suits come out to your car and "safely" remove the TV and send it to a very costly hazardous waste dump out someplace in the Mojave. It is also a crime to pick anything out of the dump, or trash cans/bins on public property if a "civil criminal" has put one there. I'd go further but this isn't the politics forum...

But if I see a TRK-12 in the trash, I will still pick it up. But I'll have to put it on eBay right away to pay the bail and criminal defense. Then the rest of the profit can go to pay the fines for possession of and movement of a hazardous material in the State of California.

I am always envious of Texans... They all are polite to eachother, and now to find out that you can still rescue TVs from the recycler! Wow! Next time I move, it's Texas or Bust!

Charles
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-13-2005, 01:19 PM
Chad Hauris's Avatar
Chad Hauris Chad Hauris is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: West Texas
Posts: 2,085
I have always been a part of Texas Recycles Day in Midland as the designated official recycler of TV's and other electronics, I'm really glad they give me a chance to do it as I don't have to try to outrun the trash trucks or pick out of dumpsters as I did when I was a kid.
All of the TV's/equipment either are used in our historical preservation collections, or parts salvaged for other repair jobs, or some of the modern working sets we don't need we donate to charity.

Was really excited to find the projection set...have never worked on one before. Thanks for the tips, I'll have to start working on it. It has a picture but is kind of dim and it does look like there is junk floating in the image.

I did get some speakers! They are in the van towards the front so they really didn't appear in the photos. I'll try and get some more photos here shortly.

There is another company that is the official recycler of computers and they filled an entire semitrailer with computers till it could hold no more. I got some of the extra ones since they had no room. Got an HP 550 mhz with 384 Meg of ram. I think it was junked cause it wouldn't boot up Windoze 98...installed Slackware Linux and it works great.
__________________
Chad Hauris
http://www.youtube.com/user/retrochad

Last edited by Chad Hauris; 11-13-2005 at 01:23 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-13-2005, 07:15 PM
Bill Cahill's Avatar
Bill Cahill Bill Cahill is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: St. Petersburg, Fl.
Posts: 1,298
Talking Great job!

Great load, Chad. Reminds me of the good ole' days when Harper Woods, Mi., where I lived as a lad, had every May 1-5, "Harper Woods clean up, fix up, throw out week". Boy! Was that ever fun! All the old tv's, cabinets, etc.... I miss those days......... My mother wasn't very happy about it, though. Man! It was fun......
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-13-2005, 08:38 PM
rcaman's Avatar
rcaman rcaman is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: mississippi
Posts: 753
i agree on the maggie projection set. get the gel out of those tubes and then you can watch it. also resolder the deflection and power boards. i get $250.oo for replacing the fluid in those tubes. the rca fluid is best. i dont like mcm,s fluid in a can. i buy mine from electronic parts unlimited in florida. they have great prices on everything. get almost all my rca parts from them. did everyone know mcm is actually a retailer you cant get much wholesale from them. and we even have an open account there. steve
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #6  
Old 11-13-2005, 09:56 PM
veg-o-matic's Avatar
veg-o-matic veg-o-matic is offline
Huh?
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Baltimore
Posts: 454
What's a Catalina?

veg
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-14-2005, 10:33 PM
rca2000's Avatar
rca2000 rca2000 is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: cincinnati,ohio
Posts: 2,090
But with the left-wing environmentalist lawsuit-happy feel-good California government (Post-Gov. Reagan), it is now an arrestable crime to leave a TV in the trash (or car tires, paint, or most anything). So the way they do it now is that they hold recycle drives at designated locations a few times a year, and highly-paid men in white plastic suits come out to your car and "safely" remove the TV and send it to a very costly hazardous waste dump out someplace in the Mojave. It is also a crime to pick anything out of the dump, or trash cans/bins on public property if a "civil criminal" has put one there. I'd go further but this isn't the politics forum...



Charles[/QUOTE]

Isn't it great, that crime is so LOW in Cali, that the pigs have so much time on their hands, that they have time to go after someone for taking an old tv/stereo/computer, out of the garbage? That, and rousting people for:: Smoking too close to a building, Smoking on their porch, having a barbecue, parking on the street, working on their cars in the driveway, pre-heating/cooling their cars in the driveway, watering their lawns,and using fuel oil, instead of diesel in their vehicles.. THOSE seem to be the focus of LEO's in this country, nowdays.... Guess REAL crime is non-existent nowdays... (SARCASM)

Sigh... Been there, done that. It seems that so many people today, just CANNOT keep out of other people's affairs. If somethig is in the garbage, why should ANYONE care, if someone gets it, and "turns it around", or puts it in their collection? Or, any of the other thnigs that I mentioned?
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:11 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
©Copyright 2012 VideoKarma.org, All rights reserved.