Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

Notices

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #9  
Old 05-03-2020, 01:23 PM
Jeffhs's Avatar
Jeffhs Jeffhs is offline
<----Zenith C845
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Fairport Harbor, Ohio (near Lake Erie)
Posts: 4,035
I had a Philco "Briefcase 19" 19-inch portable TV years ago (in the '70s), and can vouch for the crowded conditions in the cabinet. The most repair work I ever did on my set was changing tubes; I couldn't do much else as far as chassis repairs, etc. were concerned (long story and OT) but I never had to do much inside the set other than the occasional tube replacement; this set worked very well and had a good picture. It served me well while I had it, and until I could get a better one (I found a 1969 Zenith b&w portable in the trash), followed by getting a brand-new set almost exactly a year later, when the Zenith set developed AGC problems caused by gas in the horizontal output tube.

However, I do agree that these portables were very difficult to work on due to the chassis being almost literally wrapped around the CRT. Changing tubes was easy, but anything else was a major undertaking; this may have been why I found my Philco set in the trash when I did. Also, if I remember correctly, these portables had at least one PC board on the chassis. Because of a very bad experience I had with a Sears Silvertone 19-inch round-screen color set (a tube socket broke out of the video-output circuit PC board), I was (and still am to this day) very wary of PC boards in televisions, and am reminded of the experiences with my Silvertone color set every time I read here in VK of sets with such boards.
__________________
Jeff, WB8NHV

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.
Reply With Quote
 


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:18 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
©Copyright 2012 VideoKarma.org, All rights reserved.