Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Rectangular Screen Tube Televisions

Notices

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-15-2014, 11:34 AM
old_coot88 old_coot88 is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 2,653
The one thing i could never 'get', in a nutshell, about Predictas was the rationale for 2V CRT heaters. It seemed to have something to do with ultra-short neck. But beyond that, explanations just trailed off into the weeds.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-15-2014, 11:52 AM
DaveWM DaveWM is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Orlando FL
Posts: 5,607
I assume the reason they are popular now (and perhaps then) has to be the styling. I have worked on a few, all the transformer chassis, and finally found out that you can pop the chassis off with out too much trouble. I think the electronic design was pretty good, as mine makes a fine pic, but the use of the output tubes mounted to the PCB was a bad idea. Ok if not used much but if used a lot just smoked the pcb from heat.

I got a couple of the last CRT's from VDC, the neck is a tad longer and uses a 6.3v heater. Considering how long I use my sets they should last a life time.

I kinda like working on them from the perspective of the modular design (again just talking the transformer based ones).

I can see how it would be a pain with customers, a set I worked on for a buddy started acting up (audios dropping out) not long after I fixed it. My guess is a bad tube socket that did not present to me at the time. My own sets I don't mind when new prob pop up, but that would not be the case doing this as a profession.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:17 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
©Copyright 2012 VideoKarma.org, All rights reserved.