Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

Notices

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #29  
Old 03-07-2013, 11:52 AM
Tom Albrecht's Avatar
Tom Albrecht Tom Albrecht is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 683
I'm working on a 17" Predicta right now. The customer mentioned that the CRT was known to be weak, so I tested it when it arrived and found it to be nearly dead in terms of emission. Increasing the filament voltage to about 4 volts brought the emission up into the good range, and I wondered whether it might be a 6 volt replacement tube. However, visual inspection confirmed it was an original 17DRP4 with a 2.68 volt filament. I gave it a shot of "auto restore" on my CR-70, but the emission didn't improve much.

Testing in the set, however, surprised me. A nice bright picture! This set had been "minimally restored" (just replace a few problematic components) by a previous tech, so I started working on the full recap, etc. After a few days of minimal usage of the CRT, I noticed it went suddenly quite dark, and now looks like the weak CRT it always appeared to be on the tester.

After further investigation, I found that the previous tech had moved the filament wire for the CRT from the 2.68 volt tap on the transformer filament winding to the 6 volt tap. That's why the tube looked so good for a short while! The filament didn't burn out even after a few hours, but the cathode emission did not hold up over time.

Now I know this CRT is really dead.

By the way, the CRT filament did not look unusually bright at 6 volts. These Predicta CRT filaments have a rather dim glow at their proper voltage. Don't be fooled by that into thinking you have a 6 volt tube when you actually have a 2 volt tube.
Reply With Quote
 


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:56 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
©Copyright 2012 VideoKarma.org, All rights reserved.