Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

Notices

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-22-2011, 10:25 PM
bandersen's Avatar
bandersen bandersen is offline
RCA 741PCS
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 8,825
Here are the final modifications I went with. I rewired the power switch as Big Dave suggested.
It runs cooler now and B+ is dead on.


I mounted the new components on a terminal strip near the AC interlock.
__________________
Here are my Vintage Radio & TV YouTube Channel and Photo Gallery
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-22-2011, 11:17 PM
Tubejunke's Avatar
Tubejunke Tubejunke is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Martinsville, VA
Posts: 1,823
Quote:
Originally Posted by bandersen View Post
.
It runs cooler now and B+ is dead on.
Do you mean that the set as a whole runs cooler? Also, what do you think was keeping the B+ below specs and did bringing it up provide any noticable performance improvement?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-22-2011, 11:39 PM
bandersen's Avatar
bandersen bandersen is offline
RCA 741PCS
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 8,825
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubejunke View Post
Do you mean that the set as a whole runs cooler? Also, what do you think was keeping the B+ below specs and did bringing it up provide any noticable performance improvement?
Well at least one corner of it is cooler. That's where I've replaced the 20W filament dropper with a diode.

The old seleniums were keeping the voltage down. They got noticeably warm during operation. I suspect their resistance has increased over time.

As for performance - it's a mixed bag. I can get a brighter picture now, but the contrast isn't as good. Also the vertical retrace lines are more visible. The horizontal sync is still flaky like it has been since I first powered up the set. I suspect I need to replace the dual selenium AFC rectifier. The important thing is that i can stop worrying about the seleniums go up in smoke while I continue tweaking the set. I've had it happen once before and don't ever want to experience that again

I'm also checking the resistors more thoroughly than I did first time around. I'm considering replacing the germanium video detector diode while I have the set open too.
__________________
Here are my Vintage Radio & TV YouTube Channel and Photo Gallery

Last edited by bandersen; 02-22-2011 at 11:43 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:53 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
©Copyright 2012 VideoKarma.org, All rights reserved.