Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

Notices

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-08-2010, 04:09 AM
Joel Cairo's Avatar
Joel Cairo Joel Cairo is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Bloke View Post
G'day all.

A few years ago I posted a thread which I questioned who was the first rock'n'roller to appear on colour television and I mentioned Elvis Presley on the Milton Berle Show in 1956.

Anyhow as an update out of curiosity I did some research as The Milton Berle Show was in colour during 1956 and I found some photos of Elvis on the 5th June 1956 episode with a TK-41 in the background, so he definitely appeared in colour on that show performing "Hound Dog" with his (at the time) controversial gyrating hip movements.

Also I imagine his 3rd April 1956 appearance on the show on the USS Hancock ship must of been in colour too due to lack of haloing on the highlights:
I don't believe there's been a question about whether or not the shows were originally broadcast in color... the question has always been whether the Milton Berle kinescopes were somehow color encoded, and the answer appears to be "No". NBC didn't introduce their lenticular color kinescope process until September of 1956, and there is no indication from the prints I've seen of the June 1956 show that they are anything other than a standard B&W film transcription of the color broadcast, which NBC had (by that time) been doing for a couple of years.

As you pointed out, there were a few color kinescopes made by NBC through the use of another process, but they are indeed quite rare, and probably only made through special request of the producers of the respective programs.

- Kevin
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-08-2010, 10:22 AM
NewVista's Avatar
NewVista NewVista is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Milw, WI
Posts: 724
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Cairo View Post
, there were a few color kinescopes made by NBC .

- Kevin
Maybe some color Kine's of Rowan & Martin's 'Laugh In' where they used Kine copies for some difficult editing or something ? Of course master VT copies also still exist.

I think they used kine copies of 'Laugh In' for broadcast in Australia as a convenient standards conversion (there was a resultant beat pattern on the screen from 525 lines vs 625 lines )
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:17 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
©Copyright 2012 VideoKarma.org, All rights reserved.