![]() |
|
|
|
#1
|
||||
|
||||
|
Wow....Just "Wow".....
__________________
Benevolent Despot |
|
#2
|
|||
|
|||
|
Incredible save-no fishtanker is wrecking this TV
Just an incredible save from Indiana
No fishtanker is wrecking this TV. I can't believe a fishtanker would even think of ruining a 1948 blond Admiral roundie That's an awesome save and I'm very glad that TV is now safe in your collection safe and sound in good ol' Chicago now to be appreciated for many years to come
|
|
#3
|
||||
|
||||
|
Nice Save!!
![]() ![]() ![]() That is really an Admirable collection ! Do you have a plan for fixing the "patches" ? When I was a kid, I had an old Emerson console that had a front overhang like that set... it used a ton of 25Z6s. jr Last edited by jr_tech; 10-31-2009 at 01:58 PM. |
|
#4
|
||||
|
||||
|
I always liked this model, even with the chips it still steals the show.
Is this type of blondie veneer gone the way of cobalt blue art deco mirrors, and NLA? I see that my CTC-9 and Olympic Console use the exact same finish, so there must have only been one or two manufacturers of this stuff. Although this guy on the antique furniture restoration board describes it as a process unto itself: "...Usually they were made of good quality Oak/ Oak Veneer, but the white finish was part of a white grain filler tecnique that involved smearing plaster of paris all over the surface and sanding the top layer back off. then a white stain and lacquer was applied, some were just stained..." Some of that does make sense, it certainly is, or is made to look like, oak. Luckily, Oak is one of the cheapest veneers out there. But wood filling with plaster of paris? Just the thought makes me cringe, after having filled the grain on a couple of console radios. |
|
#5
|
||||
|
||||
|
Quote:
|
| Audiokarma |
|
#6
|
||||
|
||||
|
Great save!
Looks like cadmium to me too. Phosphoric acid was the only stuff I tried that had an effect. But I worried about neutralizing it, etc. and decided that it wasn't bad enough in my case to worry about. I like some chassis, like Phil's radio, when they're polished. But I prefer the original look if it's achievable. John |
|
#7
|
||||
|
||||
|
Quote:
|
|
#8
|
||||
|
||||
|
Leaving it alone should be fine. The green coating won't jump off the chassis and bite you. I don't bother trying to make TV chassis beautiful. Except for Radio Craftsman, they weren't shiny leaving the factory. Something like that Midwest radio chassis was made shiny to compete with radios that had real chrome -- a poor man's E.H. Scott.
Phil |
|
#9
|
||||
|
||||
|
Hi,
As I remember right, this console was seen in a garage in one of the old b/w PERRY MASON episodes! My Admiral console is the same, with the seperate power supply chassis!
|
![]() |
| Thread Tools | |
| Display Modes | |
|
|