Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Rectangular Screen Tube Televisions

Notices

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #10  
Old 03-07-2011, 06:09 PM
rca2000's Avatar
rca2000 rca2000 is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: cincinnati,ohio
Posts: 2,090
Quote:
Originally Posted by kx250rider View Post



I pulled the dash monitor out of an '89 Buick Riviera at Pick-A-Part, just out of curiosity (paid $12 for it, if I recall). It was a Zenith monochrome monitor. I don't remember it being a touch-screen, but I don't know. It was definitely monochrome (amber CRT) though.

Charles
On the Oldsmobile Trofeo...the CRT monitor IS a color one--and the tube IS a trinitron, with the touch-plate in front of it, the VIC monitor unit is a LOT bigger and heavier than the Zenith 5" green one you(and I) have lying around, The case says "Sony trinitron" (along with "Denso"), and the tube has the trinitron label--and look--about it. Like the green Riviera monitor--the Desno/Sony one is WAY overbuilt, with a HUGE flyback and heat sinks inside of it--for a 5" color monitor--compared to a normal 5" color set. .

I guess that GM decided to "go one better" when the decided to put a touch-screen computer option on the Trofeo from 89-92, and made it in color and MUCH easier--and more user-friendly--to use. (I have owned 3 of the Riv's over the last 20 years with the green touch-screen, I liked them, but they are NOWHERE NEAR as nice--or as easy to use-- as the color one in my 89 Trofeo is.) GM had even planned for a GPS system on them--but the system was not ready in time(probably due to the shuttle disaster.)

If only the VIC system would have 'caught on " back then--instead of OVER 10 YEARS later .
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
 



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:27 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
©Copyright 2012 VideoKarma.org, All rights reserved.