Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Rectangular Screen Tube Televisions

Notices

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #1  
Old 03-30-2010, 12:03 AM
radiotvnut's Avatar
radiotvnut radiotvnut is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Meridian, MS
Posts: 6,025
Cheap KTV 12" B&W

I'm now the owner of another 12" B&W - this one being an '89 12" KTV in a white case. The elderly couple who owned it bought it at Woolworth's for around $39 for use in their kitchen. Several years ago, I cleaned the tuner; but, it decided to exhibit more severe problems this time. This couple has been very good to me over the years and her husband passed away a few years ago; so, when she asked if I had a replacement TV - I was more than happy to take her a little 13" Sharp color set and she gave me the B&W set.

There was one bad 220uf cap in the vertical circuit that was causing reduced vertical sweep and I replaced several other caps that looked roasted. I cleaned the tuner and volume control as best I could; but, they are about shot. The Samsung branded CRT is not in the best shape, either. Oh well, I guess one can't expect much out of a 21 year old TV that was cheap junk to begin with.

This set only has an AC cord; but, there are spots on the PC board for a DC plug and a DC fuse as well as a knock out on the rear cover for the jack. I'm sure they probably made an AC/DC version of this set for a few dollars more.

I'll post a picture later, even though it's not much to look at. Now, I need to find one of those really el cheapo "Action" brand 12" B&W's that ran off of a wall wart, LOL!

The same lady has a '77 RCA XL100 console with the CTC8x chassis, the chassis that came out after the upright XL100 chassis was phased out. Lightning struck it around '94 and all I could find wrong with it was two shorted diodes and an open fusible resistor; but, the CRT was about shot and they decided to buy a new set. I just put all the parts in a plastic bag and rolled the TV in their unused living room, where it's sat for 15 years. I've had several opportunities to take it; but, I really don't want it. The cabinet is in good shape; but, it looks like the typical mid '70's/'80's/'90's roll around console.

Before that set went out, they gave me a working late '60's Motorola console on legs that still worked. That was before I got into TV collecting and I sold it for, IIRC, $50. They also gave me a little Magnavox tube console stereo (which I still have) as well as a few other old radios at different times. She still has a tube type Olympic stereo that she said would probably be mine when she passed away.

This couple was married for around 74 years and had no children. I met them back around '89 and they looked at me like a son that they never had. People have made fun of me for hanging around "old people"; but, those "old people" have been good to me over the years and they have a wealth of knowledge, if the young crowd would just take the time to listen.
Reply With Quote
 



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:44 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
©Copyright 2012 VideoKarma.org, All rights reserved.