Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Rectangular Screen Tube Televisions

Notices

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #1  
Old 01-03-2009, 05:25 PM
zenithfan1's Avatar
zenithfan1 zenithfan1 is offline
Mark
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Kenosha, Wisconsin
Posts: 4,211
First restoration of '09 A '61 Baby Blue Zenith B/W

I took a break from the color sets to work on this one. It is a '61 not a '63, oops! I originally said it was a '63. I picked this up from Doug a while back and it has been siting in the garage until the other day. He had repaired the sweep circuits and got HV back. Then he found out that the vert. hold and brightness pots were open, upon closer inspection the carbon could be seen falling out of them. He had way too many projects going at the time and did not have the parts. He also has this set in Space Command version. I replaced the Vert. hold with the correct 750K half watt but the only difference is that it is held in with a nut rather than the tangs. It had the snap in universal shaft that I cut down to size and put a flat spot on for the knob. I did not have to drill the hole or modify the set in any way so it will be fine. The replacement brightness is a 250K half watt that fit in the original way but had a plastic shaft. I had to rework this one with a Dremel to make the original knob fit on it without changing the knob. I kinda cheated by putting an extension wire on it to make the original resistor that had been cut reach to it but it looks ok I guess. I also replaced a 1 Mfd @350 'lytic with a Sprague "Atom" cap (yellow one), and a .047 @400 that looked suspicious because it had a burned resistor hooked to it. The resistor is an 82 ohm half watt, it had gotten hot enough to bend in the middle and burn a black spot on the cap I took out. I also put in a .1 @ 400 because it was a "white time bomb". Doug had already replaced several caps in the vertical and horizontal sections, and did a wonderful job I might add. He put in a small 'lytic under the chassis because one section of a can is bad. I will leave it that way until I come back later and restuff the cans. It works fine for now. My new cap and resistor are installed behind the 'lytic Doug put in. The rest of what I did is over by the pots, I would circle the new parts in the pictures but have no photo editing software on the Macbook. So, you can just see what we both did, since we both install caps the same way it really don't matter anyways. I also cleaned the entire cabinet which turned out really nice, I thought it was all scuffed but it came off like shoe marks on a floor! It turns out there are no scratches at all. I also have the original cart but it's not so nice, I'll try to fix it up later. Thanks for all the work you did to the set before I got it Doug! It made it so I could finish it up in one day rather than tracking down all the problems it had before. And also thanks for the great set! Blue is my favorite color!










__________________
My TV page and YouTube channel
Kyocera R-661, Yamaha RX-V2200
National Panasonic SA-5800
Sansui 1000a, 1000, SAX-200, 5050, 9090DB, 881, SR-636, SC-3000, AT-20
Pioneer SX-939, ER-420, SM-B201
Motorola SK77W-2Z tube console
McIntosh MC2205, C26
Reply With Quote
 



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:59 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
©Copyright 2012 VideoKarma.org, All rights reserved.