Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Rectangular Screen Tube Televisions

Notices

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #1  
Old 07-09-2008, 09:43 PM
MRX37 MRX37 is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,579
How about that? Montgomery Wards made some good stuff.

I found this 19" Montgomery Wards TV on the curb tonight. It was made back in 1987, model# JSJ12638. Apart from a dark picture which I expected from a 21 year old TV, it had shrinking vertical.

I opened it up, and I got the most pleasant surprise ever. The flyback and power caps are on a separate board! This meant that I could remove the board that I wanted to work on without having to worry about the flyback! I have NEVER seen this setup before, and I wish other manufacturers did the same thing.

Even better, the various sections of the PCB were CLEARLY labeled! Finding the vertical section was a piece of cake. There were a few lytic caps in that section. One of them, a 100uf @35 volts tested at only 69uf. I replaced that and BINGO! No more vertical issue.

A slight adjustment on the flyback brought the brightness up, and now I have the TV playing.

Ya know... It's almost like Wards designed this TV to be easily fixed... Who'd a thunk it? Now if only other manufacturers had done the same thing...
Reply With Quote
 



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:23 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
©Copyright 2012 VideoKarma.org, All rights reserved.