Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Movies, shows, & programs

Notices

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-14-2006, 08:53 PM
jlindsey86's Avatar
jlindsey86 jlindsey86 is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 44
Phantasm...WTF was this crap?

Anyone here seen this movie? Some friends of mine recommeded it to me and after watching it I feel as though I am going to have to kick their ass. To those who have seen it can you explain that stupid ending? This movie just eclipsed Close Encounters of the 3rd Kind as being the dumbest movie I have ever seen.
__________________
Main System: Pioneer SA-9100, Pioneer TX-9100, Pioneer Elite PD-59, Pioneer Elite CLD-79, Pioneer Elite DV-47Ai, JBL Decade L36's
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-14-2006, 08:55 PM
jpdylon's Avatar
jpdylon jpdylon is offline
<-- sucker for old sets.
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Knox County, Tennessee
Posts: 1,675
Ony movie is saw of that name was the animated Batman: Mask of the Phantasm. That was a good movie. I've not even heard of the movie you saw. Sorry you had to see sucha crap movie.
__________________
Jordan
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-14-2006, 09:04 PM
Andyman's Avatar
Andyman Andyman is offline
Scroungus Stereophilus
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: North of Detroit, East of Grumpy. West of Kegger
Posts: 261
Isn't that the one with the flying steel ball that whips out some small jagged swords and slams into folks' foreheads???

Never saw the whole thing...................
__________________
I think the world is run by "C" students - Al McGuire
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-14-2006, 09:17 PM
Sandy G's Avatar
Sandy G Sandy G is offline
Spiteful Old Cuss
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Rogersville, Tennessee
Posts: 9,571
Ahh, yes ! Phantasm ! Reggie Bannister, the pony-tailed bald guy ! Angus Scrimm, The Tall Man ! Murky, hard-to-follow plot, juvenile acting...But once you've seen that verdammte ball auger itself into someone's noggin...well, it's STILL a pretty dumb movie....
__________________
Benevolent Despot
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-14-2006, 10:02 PM
jlindsey86's Avatar
jlindsey86 jlindsey86 is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy G
Ahh, yes ! Phantasm ! Reggie Bannister, the pony-tailed bald guy ! Angus Scrimm, The Tall Man ! Murky, hard-to-follow plot, juvenile acting...But once you've seen that verdammte ball auger itself into someone's noggin...well, it's STILL a pretty dumb movie....
That would be the movie, what got me was how before the movie starts "the tall man" talks about how successful and popular the movie was upon its release. This movie supposedly has a big cult following, I can assure you though, I will not be joining them.
__________________
Main System: Pioneer SA-9100, Pioneer TX-9100, Pioneer Elite PD-59, Pioneer Elite CLD-79, Pioneer Elite DV-47Ai, JBL Decade L36's
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #6  
Old 06-14-2006, 11:40 PM
Icon's Avatar
Icon Icon is offline
User Registered
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: NMU (go you wildcats)
Posts: 27
the trick to the cult following is you have to watch it knowing it sucks ass and laugh your head off... some assistance may be requred... and a big group of friends helps alot to... beleave it or not there are 4... maybe 5 of them... one day last summer me and some friends watched 1-4... very funny... and yes one of the worst moves ever made
__________________
go you wildcats
yay
i am a WOG mecha
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-15-2006, 12:00 AM
2DualsNotEnough's Avatar
2DualsNotEnough 2DualsNotEnough is offline
The Goodbye Look
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Phoenix,AZ
Posts: 308
That movie came out while I was in high school.One of the stars,Mike Baldwin was in my graduating class.Dumbest movie ever,BTW.
__________________
Current System:Cambridge Audio 640 Azur v2/NAD pp-2/,Oppo DV-970HD dvd/cd/,Luxman T-12 Tuner,Technics SL-1200 Mk5/Grado Red,ADS L810.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-15-2006, 09:00 AM
jlindsey86's Avatar
jlindsey86 jlindsey86 is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 44
The only thing I did find intersting about the movie was that in the living room of jody's there were some nice looking tower speakers but I have no idea what they were. That Barracuda was pretty sweet as well.
__________________
Main System: Pioneer SA-9100, Pioneer TX-9100, Pioneer Elite PD-59, Pioneer Elite CLD-79, Pioneer Elite DV-47Ai, JBL Decade L36's
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-15-2006, 11:05 AM
soundmotor's Avatar
soundmotor soundmotor is offline
super modified
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Just off the shoulder of Orion
Posts: 614
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlindsey86
Anyone here seen this movie? Some friends of mine recommeded it to me and after watching it I feel as though I am going to have to kick their ass. To those who have seen it can you explain that stupid ending? This movie just eclipsed Close Encounters of the 3rd Kind as being the dumbest movie I have ever seen.
What's to explain? You were looking for deep inner meaning perhaps? It's a summer scare movie, no better or worse than the majority of them. I like it though and have great memories of when I first saw it, at a drive-in in Fresno, with a girl named Tammy.

__________________
I took a hammer to a Regency TR-4, I was 6 at the time.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-15-2006, 12:30 PM
Sandy G's Avatar
Sandy G Sandy G is offline
Spiteful Old Cuss
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Rogersville, Tennessee
Posts: 9,571
As well as I remember, "Phantasm" wasn't even really all THAT scary- memorable really, only, for the rather odd characters who played in it.
__________________
Benevolent Despot
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #11  
Old 06-15-2006, 12:50 PM
Holst's Avatar
Holst Holst is offline
<Mahler and Me
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: S Crow Wing Co. Minnesota
Posts: 217
It was supposed to play out like a nightmare, you know, all out of order. It's biggest problem was the only people who watched it were awake and just thought it was a random abutment of scenes. I have a friend who still thinks it was fantastic.
__________________
Main: McIntosh MC2125, McIntosh C27, Ohm Acoustics Walsh 300's, AMC CD8b, Luxman K-373, Marantz 2110, Phillips N4504 w/dbx 222/200/NX40, SOTA Moonbeam w/Shure V15II/JICO-SAS
Upstairs Mancave: Yaoin VK2100, Ohm Walsh F's, Luxman D-373, Sony ST-3950SD
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 06-15-2006, 12:59 PM
piece-it pete's Avatar
piece-it pete piece-it pete is offline
What, me worry?
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Cleveland, OH
Posts: 29
I was 14 - no moped yet - late night at a friends - Phantasm - one heck of a scary bike ride home.

Having seen parts of it since I believe I was the right age.

Pete
__________________
"If only these walls could talk. Then people would pay to see my amazing talking walls."

Homer Simpson
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 06-15-2006, 09:23 PM
JimmyNeutron's Avatar
JimmyNeutron JimmyNeutron is offline
Resurrected Cylon
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 8
Phantasm is one of my favorite all time horror movies. Plot? not really. Acting? None here. Oscar winning special effects? No mention of Lucas. But it is what it is, and it doesn't try to be anything else. It's a cheese flick you watch on a saturday night when there is nothing else to watch. I loved it!!

Jimmy
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 06-15-2006, 09:24 PM
Sandy G's Avatar
Sandy G Sandy G is offline
Spiteful Old Cuss
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Rogersville, Tennessee
Posts: 9,571
Yeah, I kinda got the "Stream-of-conciousness" shtick, but it was still sort of a not very good flick. However, we ARE talking about it nearly 30 yrs down the road, musta made SOME impression on a bunch of us...
__________________
Benevolent Despot
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 06-15-2006, 09:58 PM
Markus111's Avatar
Markus111 Markus111 is offline
Big Horns & Many Tubes
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: SE Michigan
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-it pete
I was 14 - no moped yet - late night at a friends - Phantasm - one heck of a scary bike ride home.

Having seen parts of it since I believe I was the right age.

Pete

Same here - I was about the same age and it scared the crap out of me at the time. I wouldn't open a closet door for months after that without someone else around

Mark
__________________
Klipschorns.
DIY Amps - 45, 6CK4.
Thorens Turntable.
CAL Tube DAC.
Monarchy DIP.
CJ PV4 Preamp.


So many amps, so little space.......... Somethings gotta go! A couch, perhaps?
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
Reply



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:51 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
©Copyright 2012 VideoKarma.org, All rights reserved.