Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Movies, shows, & programs

Notices

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-11-2006, 05:44 AM
2DualsNotEnough's Avatar
2DualsNotEnough 2DualsNotEnough is offline
The Goodbye Look
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Phoenix,AZ
Posts: 308
I Just Saw "Cars"

I saw the new Pixar animated film "Cars" tonight at the late showing.I thought that it started rather weakly,but as it progressed it became very moving(pun not intended),very heartwarming.Being a racing fan,I loved all the cameos in the film.I loved that the race car voices were accompanied by their most famous cars in most cases.
And I dont think that its message will be lost on most AKers-that the past is to be cherished for the things it offers that we often forget about.
I think the adults in the theatre enjoyed it more than the kids.
Jimmy
__________________
Current System:Cambridge Audio 640 Azur v2/NAD pp-2/,Oppo DV-970HD dvd/cd/,Luxman T-12 Tuner,Technics SL-1200 Mk5/Grado Red,ADS L810.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-11-2006, 06:06 AM
fotno's Avatar
fotno fotno is offline
Canis Major
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Buzzardtown, NC
Posts: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2DualsNotEnough
I think the adults in the theatre enjoyed it more than the kids.
I've found that to be true with every Pixar film I've seen. The kids come out having enjoyed the film and the experience, but it's the grownups that look misty-eyed and moved when they emerge from the theatre.
__________________
Some days, it's just not worth chewing through the restraints...
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-11-2006, 08:07 AM
grumpy's Avatar
grumpy grumpy is offline
Admin
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Michigan
Posts: 380
Took the kids to see it yesterday also. We all enjoyed it very much even though i thought the story line was a direct rip off of the movie Doc Hollywood with Mike J fox.

Graphics, cars and comedy were very good.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-11-2006, 02:57 PM
2DualsNotEnough's Avatar
2DualsNotEnough 2DualsNotEnough is offline
The Goodbye Look
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Phoenix,AZ
Posts: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy
Took the kids to see it yesterday also. We all enjoyed it very much even though i thought the story line was a direct rip off of the movie Doc Hollywood with Mike J fox.

Graphics, cars and comedy were very good.
Yeah,but the animated car playing the same part was a better actor than Michael J. Fox
Jimmy
__________________
Current System:Cambridge Audio 640 Azur v2/NAD pp-2/,Oppo DV-970HD dvd/cd/,Luxman T-12 Tuner,Technics SL-1200 Mk5/Grado Red,ADS L810.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-11-2006, 03:30 PM
grumpy's Avatar
grumpy grumpy is offline
Admin
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Michigan
Posts: 380
Id have to disagree. Not a fan of that guy with the really messed up nose
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #6  
Old 06-11-2006, 03:32 PM
2DualsNotEnough's Avatar
2DualsNotEnough 2DualsNotEnough is offline
The Goodbye Look
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Phoenix,AZ
Posts: 308
I often think its sad that some of the best dialogue and character writing in hollywood is done by Pixar for animated characters.
Jimmy
__________________
Current System:Cambridge Audio 640 Azur v2/NAD pp-2/,Oppo DV-970HD dvd/cd/,Luxman T-12 Tuner,Technics SL-1200 Mk5/Grado Red,ADS L810.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-11-2006, 03:37 PM
WhiteSE's Avatar
WhiteSE WhiteSE is offline
Lambda Acoustics!!!
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Pocomoke, MD
Posts: 174
what do you mean????? Your not a fan of the Keanu Reeves Shakesperean delivery and breadth of delivery???
__________________
" All I know, Is That I Know Nothing".....

Mono: Fisher 500 mono rec. w/EVRegency III, Stereo: Technics SP-10 TT, McIntosh MR-55, Pilot SA-232, JBL L-96, Pilot SA-210 pre.
In reserve: EV12trxb, EV15trx
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-11-2006, 03:40 PM
grumpy's Avatar
grumpy grumpy is offline
Admin
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Michigan
Posts: 380
I was referring to the lead "car" who i think is played by Owen Wilson ? not sure of his last name.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-11-2006, 04:58 PM
2DualsNotEnough's Avatar
2DualsNotEnough 2DualsNotEnough is offline
The Goodbye Look
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Phoenix,AZ
Posts: 308
Yeah,its Owen Wilson.
__________________
Current System:Cambridge Audio 640 Azur v2/NAD pp-2/,Oppo DV-970HD dvd/cd/,Luxman T-12 Tuner,Technics SL-1200 Mk5/Grado Red,ADS L810.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-11-2006, 05:23 PM
Duffinator's Avatar
Duffinator Duffinator is offline
Lost in the Supermarket
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: ROCKville, CA
Posts: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy
Id have to disagree. Not a fan of that guy with the really messed up nose
Oh come on, Owen Wilson was histerical in Wedding Crashers.

Just got back from taking my 4 year old twins to see Cars. They didn't laugh as much as I thought they would and I didn't laugh much either. The movie was good but not great IMO. Fortunately my kids have never seen Doc Hollywood. The animation was great but the plot was just not the same quality as other Pixar movies. But then after The Incredibles the only place for Pixar to go was down. Definately worth seeing though but just don't have your expectations too high, about the same quality as Over The Hedge.
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #11  
Old 06-11-2006, 07:28 PM
uofmtiger's Avatar
uofmtiger uofmtiger is offline
AK Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Memphis
Posts: 12
I liked Owen in Wedding Crashers, too.

The themes in this movie go back to at least the Andy Griffith show. There was an episode with Bill Bixby where he goes from narcissistic brat to a responsible adult after receiving a speeding ticket. This movie has a lot of those same "small town" themes and I found it to be a pleasant movie. It does not have the flair of some of the other Pixar movies, but then again, the themes are supposed to take you back to a more innocent age.

The cast was perfect for their roles from Larry "The Cable Guy" to Paul Newman.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 06-11-2006, 07:52 PM
ProAc_Fan's Avatar
ProAc_Fan ProAc_Fan is offline
AK Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Niagara Falls,Ontario
Posts: 47
Well I'm $90 poorer but the movie was pretty good. It was my 3 yr old sons first visit to a theater and he loved it. Of course he's been waiting to see this movie for almost half his life so I'm hardly surprised. My favourite characters had to be Guido and his sidekick. Mater was perfectly voiced by Larry the Cable Guy. I don't think this movie will be a timeless classic like Toy Story but it was a great way to waste 2 hrs.

Mike
__________________
Have you ever noticed? Anybody going slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a moron.




Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 06-12-2006, 12:14 PM
slow_jazz's Avatar
slow_jazz slow_jazz is offline
AK Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: SE Michigan, Downriver....
Posts: 148
i saw the movie over the weekend and really loved it. i thought the opening race scene was fantastic. great to see richard petty's superbird going around the track again. i felt the music was very good starting out fast and moving slower as he went to the small town. good voices also. paul newman as doc, larry the cable guy was great as mater and tony shaloub was very good as the tire salesman luigi. all in all a very important movie about friends over flash.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 06-12-2006, 09:40 PM
ikia789
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
yeah I think grownups are more entertained than the kids... I proved it myself!
and I've found this cool site... try this one! http://mydvdreviews.com Great for reviewing movies...

Last edited by ikia789; 06-13-2006 at 05:11 AM.
Reply With Quote
Reply



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:29 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
©Copyright 2012 VideoKarma.org, All rights reserved.