Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Movies, shows, & programs

Notices

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-06-2006, 04:22 AM
tdst51 tdst51 is offline
KC6HBA
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Somewhere in the Ozarks...
Posts: 19
Thumbs down "War of the Worlds"

Been saving my free "pay per view" coupon for about 6 months now, and finally decided to try "War Of The Worlds". What a crappy crappy movie! That Tom Cruise has to be one of the worst actors I've ever seen, and the movie just seemed totally low budget to me. Did I read right? Was it directed by Steven Steilberg or Ed Wood?
__________________
"If it's too loud, you're too old!"...Homer Jenkins
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-06-2006, 04:39 AM
junkaudio's Avatar
junkaudio junkaudio is offline
AK Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Bavaria (germany) home of beer
Posts: 23
it´s a spielberg movie. didn´t like it either in fact i turned it off after one hour
__________________
a life without music is a mistake
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-06-2006, 07:19 AM
Cleve's Avatar
Cleve Cleve is offline
VK Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Dalton, NY
Posts: 40
It's what happens, I guess, when you try and mix H.G. Wells and Scientology.

Whatever the reason for the movie's failings, it's yet another forgettable remake of a movie that didn't need remaking.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-06-2006, 07:49 AM
Sandy G's Avatar
Sandy G Sandy G is offline
Spiteful Old Cuss
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Rogersville, Tennessee
Posts: 9,571
Amen to that, Cleve. Anybody in Hollywood ever heard the old saying-"Leave well enough alone ?"
__________________
Benevolent Despot
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-06-2006, 08:24 AM
Celt's Avatar
Celt Celt is offline
Peanut Head
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Paragould, Arkansas
Posts: 1,746
I thought it was called "Wart On The World"...
__________________

Let me live in the house beside the road and be a friend to man.
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #6  
Old 04-06-2006, 08:50 AM
Crotalus's Avatar
Crotalus Crotalus is offline
AK Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Kansas City, MO.
Posts: 6
I too found it lacking. It felt like the aliens were only attacking Jersey and not the entire earth. The focus was to specific.

It seems to me that some directors lately want to take the "big budget movie with a specific human story" theme a little to far. You can see it in the movies Pearl Harbor, War of the Worlds, The Thin Red Line, Independence Day, etc. These movies are about huge world changing events in history, yet they focus in like a (friggin) laser beam on one human story and thus the story about the events around them suffer.

Sometimes it is OK just to focus on the world changing event with just a little humanity thrown in and it still be a good movie. Why does everything have to be a love story....ugh.
__________________
Main System: Sansui AU-717 (EW restored), Linaeum LS-2's, Polk PSW-202 Sub
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-08-2006, 07:57 AM
Cleve's Avatar
Cleve Cleve is offline
VK Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Dalton, NY
Posts: 40
Pearl Harbor - that one was hard to take. Especially in comparison to the masterpiece "Tora! Tora! Tora!"
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-08-2006, 08:51 AM
seadzz
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
All movies that you already know the ending of before you see it tend to stinko i.e. Titanic = boat hits iceberg, boat sinks, people drown. Or in this case WotW = Creatures come to earth, kill humans wholesale, creatures die from common cold.

I tend to like films that have unexpected endings but what do I know.

sdz
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-08-2006, 06:50 PM
FlorianW
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
I found it really bad, esp. that the human race didnt get extinct. They had absolutly no chance to win the war against the aliens but only survive because the alien gets a cold

Well i found the sound effects pretty cool in the cinema, but thats pretty much it. Also the translation into german was pretty bad
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-08-2006, 09:27 PM
packratt packratt is offline
AK Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 3
I haven't watched the entire movie but what I saw follows the general plot of the original book reasonably well, including the ending. It's been 20 years and thousands of books since I read it but I think the biggest difference was in the location. For some reason I'm thinking HG Wells set it in England.
__________________
Le

Carver HR-895
Thorens TD-145 with AT3600
Nakamichi DR-2
Sony CDP-CX355
Pioneer PDR-609
Advent The Smaller Advent - stacked
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #11  
Old 04-08-2006, 09:34 PM
wesley1959
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
This is one of the rare movies that I hear is bad, and I dont watch it because of what I heard. Reading the comments here I am glad I didnt waste a couple hours of my life watching this piece of garbage.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 04-08-2006, 10:54 PM
goldear's Avatar
goldear goldear is offline
Certifiable Audio Junkie
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Seattle
Posts: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by wesley1959
This is one of the rare movies that I hear is bad, and I dont watch it because of what I heard. Reading the comments here I am glad I didnt waste a couple hours of my life watching this piece of garbage.
Here here!! I almost rented it the other day when there was simply nothing else on the shelf. But I could not bring myself to do it, because I thought that the original story was just so lame, and I couldn't imagine how it could ever be anything but lame...

Thanks for saving me a couple of hours of my life.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 04-08-2006, 11:38 PM
RussinOhio's Avatar
RussinOhio RussinOhio is offline
AK Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Westlake, Ohio
Posts: 120
No doubt the movie could've been a lot better, but c'mon! The tripod coming up from the ground was pretty cool. I liked the way it just kinda stood there a moment looking down on everyone.....Lets out that fog-horn-attack-siginal......then Whamo! It starts "laser-blasting" everyone into dust!


Uh...everyone except Tom Cruise, of course.

I hated the ending. Just lame.

Russ
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 04-08-2006, 11:47 PM
RussinOhio's Avatar
RussinOhio RussinOhio is offline
AK Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Westlake, Ohio
Posts: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleve
Pearl Harbor - that one was hard to take. Especially in comparison to the masterpiece "Tora! Tora! Tora!"

Yes. "Pearl Harbour" was crap!

Some of the technical goofs were a real hoot! How about the moderen day aircraft carrier "dressed-up" to look like a WW2 ship!!(The Hornet) I mean for goodness sake you can even see the catapult runs on the deck! The "Belknap" anti-collision pole too!

You also see some 1960's vintage ships getting blown up!

The money they spent on that movie there is no excuse for such mistakes.


BAD movie Mr. Bay.....REAL BAD.

Russ
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 04-09-2006, 09:03 AM
cubdog cubdog is offline
banging through drywall
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Oregon IL.
Posts: 18
I just can't bring myself to watch anything Tom Cruise is in. What a pantload he is! BTW concerning Pearl, I have a fondness for it since the ship I served on for four years was used in the filming. DE-1062 is seen in a number of scenes.

cubdog
__________________
Adcom GFA-555II-DQ-10
Yamaha CR-2020-Dynaco A-25
Onix SP3-Klipsch Cornwall
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
Reply



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:44 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
©Copyright 2012 VideoKarma.org, All rights reserved.