Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Movies, shows, & programs

Notices

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-16-2009, 09:13 PM
Tapehead47's Avatar
Tapehead47 Tapehead47 is offline
Son of Zod
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Lutz, Florida
Posts: 59
Man Vs. Wild, anyone??

To me this show is riveting. It keeps me up beyond my bedtime on Monday nites. But it's worth it. (And my wife thinks he's 'Hot').

Tonite he is in Transylvania's forests facing bears.

Love the campsites he creates in all his shows.

Also "Survivorman".

Can't stand the replacement show with the stuntman! Sucks big ones.

Rick
__________________
"Americans Hate Music, But They Love Entertainment" - Frank Zappa
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-16-2009, 10:25 PM
ekmanning5's Avatar
ekmanning5 ekmanning5 is offline
AK Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: geneva il.
Posts: 68
I prefer Survivorman. The other guy gets a little wierd for my taste.
__________________
Ed
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-16-2009, 11:11 PM
VinylHanger's Avatar
VinylHanger VinylHanger is offline
auscultator inveterasco
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Oregon
Posts: 128
We love Man vs. Wild. Once you realize he is dragging his poor cameraman around with him, it is funny as all get out. All I can think of is his cameraman going, "Aw crap, not another gaping hole in the river into a cavern and landing on rotting moose poo." Though my daughter was wondering if the cameraman eats ham sandwiches while Bear eats bugs and guts.
__________________
_______________________________
All there is to life is beer and music.... Well, family too, but they are where the beer and music is. Work? That's just to get me to the weekend.... where the beer, music and family are. Like I said, those are the important things.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-17-2009, 03:28 AM
Andyman's Avatar
Andyman Andyman is offline
Scroungus Stereophilus
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: North of Detroit, East of Grumpy. West of Kegger
Posts: 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekmanning5 View Post
I prefer Survivorman. The other guy gets a little wierd for my taste.
I'm pretty sure he was digging berries out of bear poo yesterday to eat in the promos we saw....
__________________
I think the world is run by "C" students - Al McGuire
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-17-2009, 10:56 AM
soundmotor's Avatar
soundmotor soundmotor is offline
super modified
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Just off the shoulder of Orion
Posts: 614
Survivorman - "Ah dinner, a cricket & the mushroom I found after 7 hours of searching."

Man vs. Wild - "First I'll dive into this Arctic river and grab a salmon with my bare hands, then make a roaring fire using only my front teeth & zipper."
__________________
I took a hammer to a Regency TR-4, I was 6 at the time.
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #6  
Old 02-17-2009, 11:37 AM
qboneus's Avatar
qboneus qboneus is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Montana
Posts: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundmotor View Post
Survivorman - "Ah dinner, a cricket & the mushroom I found after 7 hours of searching."

Man vs. Wild - "First I'll dive into this Arctic river and grab a salmon with my bare hands, then make a roaring fire using only my front teeth & zipper."

pretty good summation!
I've always wondered about Bear's cameraman's qualifications, he would have to be pretty skilled as well; even if he does get ham sandwiches while Bear gets bugs and carrion.
tal
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-18-2009, 06:57 PM
soundmotor's Avatar
soundmotor soundmotor is offline
super modified
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Just off the shoulder of Orion
Posts: 614
Quote:
Originally Posted by qboneus View Post
pretty good summation!
I've always wondered about Bear's cameraman's qualifications, he would have to be pretty skilled as well; even if he does get ham sandwiches while Bear gets bugs and carrion.
tal
He's got to be as buff, no doubt.

Bear's visit to Baja Peninsula, worst time ever -



I will say this, I do feel like I actually learn something off Grylls whereas Survivorman approximates the futility I would probably feel if I found myself out in the wilderness with nothing but the contents of my pockets.........ooh dinner, an earthworm!
__________________
I took a hammer to a Regency TR-4, I was 6 at the time.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-18-2009, 07:22 PM
qboneus's Avatar
qboneus qboneus is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Montana
Posts: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundmotor View Post
He's got to be as buff, no doubt.

Bear's visit to Baja Peninsula, worst time ever -



I will say this, I do feel like I actually learn something off Grylls whereas Survivorman approximates the futility I would probably feel if I found myself out in the wilderness with nothing but the contents of my pockets.........ooh dinner, an earthworm!
I just wanted a little honey!
This has to be one of the most painful sequences i have watched on MvsW because you could see it coming as soon as he revealed his 'plan'.
Bear handled it well all considering how close to death he really was/could have been.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-18-2009, 07:37 PM
tboat4's Avatar
tboat4 tboat4 is offline
AK Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Bay Village, OH
Posts: 34
I too prefer Man vs. Wild over Survivorman. Bear keeps things exciting and interesting, whereas the other guy just doesn't seem as interesting. Bear's camera crew (there's more than one guy) must be in great shape, and have a lot of confidence in Bear. Although, I guess they don't air the paths he takes that turn out to be bad decisions, and they have to turn back.
__________________
I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never
forget how you made them feel. - Maya Angelou
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-18-2009, 08:22 PM
Tapehead47's Avatar
Tapehead47 Tapehead47 is offline
Son of Zod
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Lutz, Florida
Posts: 59
I like the little video cameo, soundmotor. I remember that episode. Man, that is crazy to mess with bees nests. I guess you could say he won.

Is it fair that he carries that fire starter kit? I think it gives him a bit too much of an edge. Afterall, how many people carry such an item? I'd like to see him use various methods of starting a fire from scratch. (but that kit is so cool). That would be more of a survival lesson.

I wouldn't say it's 'cheating', but then again so much of it seems to be staged it doesn't matter. Regardless, I watch the show religiously.

I was a little pissed it was moved to Mondays at 10pm. But so many of my Friday nites are taken up with friends and family I was missing episodes too often. So Monday seems to be a better time slot, although 9pm would be better for me.
__________________
"Americans Hate Music, But They Love Entertainment" - Frank Zappa
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #11  
Old 02-18-2009, 08:28 PM
Tinyelvis's Avatar
Tinyelvis Tinyelvis is offline
domo arigato
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: St. Paul, MN
Posts: 4
~~Spoiler~~

I was bum'd to see this. I did like the show...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UpSlpvb1is
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-18-2009, 09:38 PM
Tapehead47's Avatar
Tapehead47 Tapehead47 is offline
Son of Zod
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Lutz, Florida
Posts: 59
C'mon, man, what does it matter? So what if some of the stuff is staged? We all know it's often staged. You want reality? Go stand outside for a couple of hours

Rick
__________________
"Americans Hate Music, But They Love Entertainment" - Frank Zappa
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-18-2009, 09:48 PM
klama2006's Avatar
klama2006 klama2006 is offline
AK Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 7
If your looking for entertainment, Man vs. Wild is the Man. If your looking towards survival, The survivorman is the guy who will keep the average person alive.

My dad has been a boundary water guide for nearly 20 years. My opinions are based of years of observation.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02-18-2009, 11:35 PM
Tinyelvis's Avatar
Tinyelvis Tinyelvis is offline
domo arigato
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: St. Paul, MN
Posts: 4
I just felt kinda robbed after watching that. That's all.
I guess I was naive...

I grew up in the woods myself. My grandfather was a trapper for a living. That's it.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 02-19-2009, 07:31 AM
soundmotor's Avatar
soundmotor soundmotor is offline
super modified
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Just off the shoulder of Orion
Posts: 614
It's TV guys. You know they planted the rocket engines in Junkyard Wars too, right?

As mentioned above, Survivorman is much closer to what it would be like for most of us in the wilds, and who wants to watch that?
__________________
I took a hammer to a Regency TR-4, I was 6 at the time.
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
Reply



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:22 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
©Copyright 2012 VideoKarma.org, All rights reserved.