![]() |
|
#31
|
||||
|
||||
|
Something to consider, if a tv is set up wrong it will look bad.
Pete
__________________
"If only these walls could talk. Then people would pay to see my amazing talking walls." Homer Simpson |
|
#32
|
||||
|
||||
|
One thing to consider is that if you buy an HD T.V. and are not watching HD material, the picture will not look very good. It will look a little worse than a regular definition set would. SUPPOSEDLY, after the transition in February, this will improve. But if you have an HD set and are watching HD material, the picture should be noticeably improved. It is on my HD set.
__________________
I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel. - Maya Angelou |
|
#33
|
||||
|
||||
|
Call me a maverick,but only just this week,I hooked-up a 32 inch 1080i capable CRT.
The LG 32FS2ANB. I'm using it via component connection from a Sony BDP-S1E Blu-ray player. After fine tuning the settings on both the Blu-ray player and the LG tonight,I have to say that set at 1080i,the picture is very,very nice(even on DVDs). Who needs Plasma or LCD?
__________________
Yamaha GT-2000/Yamaha YSA-1 The Voice Ebony Simaudio Moon LP 5.3 Hornshoppe 'The Truth' KRK Expose E8B Studio Monitors |
|
#34
|
||||
|
||||
|
I believe that's probably a main reason so many have such negative opinions; not set up properly, using the factory presets and not properly setting the backlight, contrast, brightness, color, and gray scale properly, and not turning OFF most if not all of the video "enhancing" functions which usually seem to degrade the picture more when enabled. One that does work quite well in my Sony is the Advanced Contrast Enhancer set to Low. Really brings out the black levels without crushing the details. I watched CRT sets for 57 years, last summer retired a 30" NEC CT-3000 TV that I bought in 1988 that has a Toshiba tube in it, and I can say PROPERLY SET UP my Sony LCD meets and exceeds all my expectations. It has excellent black levels that blend into the black cabinet. Colors are very accurate. No discernable blurring, watched a Mavericks basketball game last night excellent motion handling. Viewing angle is fine for any angle it will be viewed at in my living room. I usually sit generally in FRONT of a TV if I am watching it. As far as LCDs looking worse on SD than plasmas, that has to do with the A-D processing not the type of panel it uses. Some sets are much better upscaling SD video than others, regardless of the type of panel.
|
|
#35
|
||||
|
||||
|
The dreaded Black Blob
In my opinion, LCDs seem to give less reflections in the screen in a bright room than plasmas, and in a very low light, plasmas seem to give more realistic colours and better detail.
However, and again this is just my personal opinion, they BOTH suck at detail available in dark parts of the image. Oh, some are better than others, but to me it looks like anything approaching black, and the detail just disappears, leaving a nothing but a black blob. I'm hoping those news ones with the LED backlighting instead of flourescent are better, but no new TV for me till they solve that issue. I mean why fork out over a thousand bucks (depending on quality, features, and screen size) just to take two steps back in image quality!? No thank you.
__________________
Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted. |
| Audiokarma |
|
#36
|
||||
|
||||
|
Quote:
I had to access the adjustment to both the Blu-ray player,and the CRT to arrive at a truly natural skin-tone rendering. The Blu-Ray had a White optimisation 'bar' and a Black optimisation 'bar'.I picked a scene with objects in a shadow(natural light).The Blu-Ray player had a 'Preview Scene' feature where one could adjust the chosen parameter whilst watching the effect on the scene.The detail within the shadow simply emerged as I adjusted the Black optimisation 'bar'. I was blown away at how much better the picture was. I'd seen criticism of the LG CRT for what had been called 'Clayface' on the internet.Unnatural skin-tones.Indeed I was having trouble eliminating it. The solution ended-up being adjustments made to both the Blu-Ray player,and the CRT. I've finally ended-up with a picture which is not perfect(I don't know how to describe what I am seeing),but is quite amazing in it's detail.Even up close to the screen the pixelation is difficult to notice. All in all,I'm very happy with both the Blu-ray player and the LG HD CRT.
__________________
Yamaha GT-2000/Yamaha YSA-1 The Voice Ebony Simaudio Moon LP 5.3 Hornshoppe 'The Truth' KRK Expose E8B Studio Monitors |
|
#37
|
||||
|
||||
|
call me crazy, but one of the things i don't like about HD LCDs is their very fine phosphor dot pitch, it's like watching TV on a VGA monitor, horrible.
also, i don't like their widescreen format, and i don't like their flat screens, and that's also true for those "TruFlat" CRTs used in many later model TVs, give me a good old 4:3 CRT with a curved screen everyday! |
|
#38
|
||||
|
||||
|
question from the guy living on a rock out in the middle of the ocean... is DLP considered to be not even worth considering compared to lcd and plasma?
__________________
"Don't take life too seriously because you'll never get out of it alive" - Bugs Bunny "Princes of Prestidigious Petrochemical Platitudes" - 'toze |
![]() |
|
|