Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Movies, shows, & programs

Notices

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-04-2007, 08:34 AM
herbman1975 herbman1975 is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: North East Georgia
Posts: 23
Frank Miller's 300

Has anyone seen the trailer for this film? My God, it looks so completely Bad-Ass! Frank Miller is the man! I just bought the graphic novel last night, fixin' to crack it open.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-04-2007, 08:58 AM
fotno's Avatar
fotno fotno is offline
Canis Major
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Buzzardtown, NC
Posts: 118
Been a fan for years, ever since Elektra Asassin. I had pretty much out-grown comics by the time Frank started really hitting it big, but after reading his take on Elektra, Dare-Devil, and Batman (as The Dark Knight), I've followed his work religiously. He's a perfect example of what his medium is capable of!

I was mortified when I read that someone in the movie biz (didn't yet know who) had optioned Sin City. When it turned out that Robert Rodriguez & Frank Miller were co-producing and co-directing with Quentin Tarantino adding his touch to one of the vignettes, I was thrilled. Sin City is a nearly perfect movie. Hell, even my wife liked it, and she's never read a comic-book in her life...

I am really looking forward to 300! If it approaches the quality of Sin City, Frank'll have another smash on his hands.
__________________
Some days, it's just not worth chewing through the restraints...
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-04-2007, 09:13 AM
OvenMaster's Avatar
OvenMaster OvenMaster is offline
DTV blows
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Red Sox Nation
Posts: 565
I've got Sin City on DVD waitin' for me when I have a couple hours to kill. Being a comic fan since age 5, I sure hope it's as good as all I've heard. But then, I really liked Daredevil, so there's no accounting for taste...
Tom
__________________
Tom
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-04-2007, 09:58 AM
herbman1975 herbman1975 is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: North East Georgia
Posts: 23
I am a comic book geek by default. My brothers only form of income is from comic book sales on eBay, so I am around them all the time. I absorb comics via osmosis.

I am well aware that the stigma attached to those who enjoy comics is not particularly good, but I do not care. It seems like every cool movie that comes out now has its roots in the comic book world - Sin City, V for Vendetta, Ghost Rider, Spiderman, X-men, I could go on...

I like movies based on comics. I prefer them to the endless bunch of terrible re-makes Hollywood has tried to shove down our throats. It is like the entire industry ran out of ideas, so they just started re-making all their old films.

I will be first in line to see this flick.

Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-04-2007, 10:54 AM
Tom Brennan's Avatar
Tom Brennan Tom Brennan is offline
AK Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Chicago
Posts: 108
If interested in Thermopylae get the DVD of the picture "The 300 Spartans", an early 1960s Cinemascope epic that did a very good job of portraying the politics and characters of the 2nd Persian War. Pretty good battle scenes too.

And read Herodotus instead of Miller. ;-)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg captures 085.jpg (154.4 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg captures 080.jpg (144.0 KB, 11 views)
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #6  
Old 02-04-2007, 11:10 AM
fotno's Avatar
fotno fotno is offline
Canis Major
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Buzzardtown, NC
Posts: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Brennan
And read Herodotus instead of Miller. ;-)
I've read Herodotus... I prefer Miller.
__________________
Some days, it's just not worth chewing through the restraints...
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-04-2007, 11:27 AM
Tom Brennan's Avatar
Tom Brennan Tom Brennan is offline
AK Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Chicago
Posts: 108
"I've read Herodotus... I prefer Miller."


Really? I find Herodotus not only informative (which Miller of course isn't, and yes, I have a copy of Miller's book) but very entertaining, it's almost of if he were sitting there telling his stories.

Ole Herodotus speaks with a voice that crosses the centuries and I find him a much better read than Thucydides though Thucydides was the better historian. But I'd rather sit and shoot the bull with Herodotus.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-04-2007, 11:53 AM
fotno's Avatar
fotno fotno is offline
Canis Major
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Buzzardtown, NC
Posts: 118
I'll agree to a point. Admidst the classics here's a fine line between relaying a great tale and writing a dull, dry history text, in my opinion Herodotus trod that line beautifully. Thucydides, not so much.

Informative? While I'll again agree that Herodotus was far more informative, I would argue that any story (or legend) well told, is by its very nature informative. However, information is not necessarily educational. And education is not necessarily entertaining.

I try to take from each discipline, only the worth that is in it. I am long past the point in my own life, where I accumulate knowledge simply for the sake of possession. If I cannot apply that knowledge in the ordinary day to day, or use it as a tool of personal betterment, or yes, even base entertainment, then I leave it to those who still aspire to great scholarship. For myself, I'd rather enjoy the ride.

Course that's just me...
__________________
Some days, it's just not worth chewing through the restraints...
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-04-2007, 01:00 PM
Tom Brennan's Avatar
Tom Brennan Tom Brennan is offline
AK Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Chicago
Posts: 108
"If I cannot apply that knowledge in the ordinary day to day,"

Well we got to do that today and I enjoyed your views.

I used to tell history stories at work all the time, the fellas would ask me why I wasn't a teacher, I replied that boilermakin' paid better.

When I became an apprentice teacher in our local the word got around that I could easily be distracted in class by being asked "So you think Custer was a good commander?"
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-04-2007, 02:45 PM
herbman1975 herbman1975 is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: North East Georgia
Posts: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Brennan
If interested in Thermopylae get the DVD of the picture "The 300 Spartans", an early 1960s Cinemascope epic that did a very good job of portraying the politics and characters of the 2nd Persian War. Pretty good battle scenes too.

And read Herodotus instead of Miller. ;-)
I do want that DVD. I read today it was this film Miller watched as a child that inspired him to make 300.

The trailers I have seen on the official website look really cool, but the trailer I saw when I went to the Mall of Georgia looked stunning on the big screen. This is going to be one of those films I MUST see @ the theatre.
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #11  
Old 02-05-2007, 02:35 AM
Dusty Chalk
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
I can't wait. I became a fan of Frank Miller due to Roberto Rodriguez's treatment of Sin City (I'm more of a Neil Gaiman/Steve Niles/Grant Morrison/Joseph Michael Linsner/James O'Barr fan, myself).
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-05-2007, 05:11 PM
soundmotor's Avatar
soundmotor soundmotor is offline
super modified
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Just off the shoulder of Orion
Posts: 614
300 can suck and I'm not sure I'll care.

From the trailers it looks to be a visual treat.
__________________
I took a hammer to a Regency TR-4, I was 6 at the time.
Reply With Quote
Reply



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:53 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
©Copyright 2012 VideoKarma.org, All rights reserved.