Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-26-2003, 09:54 PM
Rock-Ola

Philco 38-116 console

I recently found a nice old Philco console. It's from 1938 and the model is 38-116. This is a 15 tube radio and it plays well on both am and shortwave. I am surprised at the sound quality of this radio on local am music stations. It's not as good as fm but better than my new Sony sourround system sounds on am.
Old 08-27-2003, 06:31 AM
Administrator

OOOoooooh! A 38-116X!

You've got probably what I would call the pinnacle of Philco radio, and probably antique radio in general in terms of sound and quality. I had one of those that I sadly sold before I ever had the chance to get working (needed the space )

The only thing that comes close IMO is the model 16, which predates your 1938 model by a couple years. In 1939 they came up with the "Mystery Control" gimmick, which sold well, but the sound quality doesn't even come close from what I understand.

Enjoy her! Be proud to know you have the best Philco ever made, and quite valuable as well.
Old 07-10-2005, 11:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamakiri
In 1939 they came up with the "Mystery Control" gimmick, which sold well
would that be this? no affiliation, but i would think these are fairly rare, for craigslist anyway.
Old 07-11-2005, 06:53 AM
Administrator

Yep, that's a 39-116. Had one of those years ago. I never did get the "mystery control" working, but then again I never really tried

Nice sets
Old 07-11-2005, 10:57 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock-Ola
I recently found a nice old Philco console. It's from 1938 and the model is 38-116.
If it hasn't already been done, all the wax caps in it should be replaced. See http://www.geocities.com/wa2ise/radios/repair.htm and http://www.antiqueradio.org/recap.htm though I would not try to remove all of teh old caps' leads from terminals on band switches or tube sockets. They are rather fragile and you don't really want to break a band switch. Just clip the old
lead and solder on the new. Practice on a junker tube radio first if you haven't done this before.
Audiokarma