Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Rectangular Screen Tube Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-26-2005, 07:08 PM
Surrounded by old stuff

4545 Augusta Blvd Today

I decided to take a trip over to the old Motorola Factory on Augusta here in Chicago. This was before they moved to the surburbs in the 60s. Sadly it is all gone now and is a seating company. Stay tuned, I'm trying to check uot some more old Chicago manufactures...Muntz, Hallicrafters, Admiral...

Last edited by maxm; 02-26-2005 at 07:13 PM.
Old 02-26-2005, 09:02 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Howzabout the old Hallicrafters plant at 5th & Kostner?...I remember seeing a series of pictures-I think the link was posted here-of the magnificent decline of Detroit. It was very sad, yet strangely beautiful at the same time.-Sandy G.
Old 03-01-2005, 07:15 AM
VideoKarma Member

Well at least there is another company keeping the factory in use, rather than just letting it disintegrate.
Old 03-01-2005, 07:03 PM
Surrounded by old stuff

Somebody told me of another now abandoned Motorola Factory on the north west side of Chicago that I will check out soon, it is still there, but was just put up for sale. I'll try to check out the old Hallicrafters site, it's about a half hour drive from my house.
Old 03-01-2005, 07:48 PM
VideoKarma Member

max, You can find the old Admiral TV/radio plant on the north side, on the 4400 block of N. knox ave. just south of montrose. The big brick boiler stack still has "ADMIRAL" on it (admiral is spelled out with the design of the bricks). I'
ll take some pics if Im ever in the area again but I believe you are close as you are on the north side.
Audiokarma
Old 03-19-2005, 10:49 AM
Surrounded by old stuff

Here is the old Bell+Howell building on Pratt Ave. Somebody told me that this was a Motorola building, so I drove out there, but it wasn't so I took a picture anyways. The building was just put up for sale, so it may not be here or much longer. I m still working on getting to some those places, so keep watching this thread...
Old 03-19-2005, 04:06 PM
VideoKarma Member

What ever happened to Bell + Howell? I know they were one of the biggest and best makers of movie projectors well into the 80's. The last time I saw their name was in a cheesy ad for a some low quality hearing aid.
Old 03-19-2005, 04:40 PM
Surrounded by old stuff

We had a Bell+Howell VCR that was bought in about 1994, though I assume it was made by aother company.
Old 03-19-2005, 09:27 PM
VideoKarma Member

I think it was Wards that sold tons of B+H badged junk electronics. I wouldn't have thought that many people would have associated B+H with consumer electronics but I guess Monkey Wards needed one more nameplate to ruin. I think B+H's biggest business in later years was with microfiche including publishing the fiche itself, IIRC. I think I've also seen their name on cheap Chinese junk cameras fairly recently.