Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > VideoKarma Classifieds

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-03-2018, 05:00 PM
VideoKarma Member

driving from WI to PA and back this weekend

I'm trading Dave Goodlin an Admiral tube rectangular color console for a Zenith 23V chromacolor CRT I need. I'm going to try and do this in 2 days, so I won't have too much time to deviate from a direct path, but if anyone wants to buy/sell/trade along the way…

This is the stuff I'm looking to sell/trade:

TVs:

1. 63 Philco town and country 19" b/w - I have a thread about it here: http://videokarma.org/showthread.php?t=269123 I've got it working, but the cabinet still needs some work. - $40 (SOLD)

4. 74 Zenith 19" b/w - in a white/black cabinet, this has the early modular solid state chassis, the auto-off timer is broken, works otherwise - $100 (SOLD)

5. 68 Zenith 19" b/w in the metal cabinet, works, hybrid chassis with the solid state IFs, some scratches in the face of the CRT, works - $20 (SOLD)

6. 75 RCA 9" B/W, AC/DC, works, has the original battery pack - $20 (SOLD)

Radios:

1. GE white plastic AM clock radio, metal chassis, untested - $5 (SOLD)

2. RCA pink plastic AM clock radio, missing a knob, and crack in the top of cabinet, untested - $5 (SOLD)

3. Admiral bakelite radio/phono - radio recapped and working, record changer needs belts - $40 (SOLD)

4. Eico tube tuner, AM, untested - $10 (SOLD)

5. Claricon, AM/FM receiver, 8-track player, untested - $10

6. RCA dimensia cassette player, not working, and the door won't stay shut - $20

What I'm looking for:

TVs and Radios:
B&W table TVs with remotes
Zenith color table TVs with remotes (I'd specifically like to find a 19" with the 4-tube hybrid chassis and the SC500)
Zenith flashmatic console
RCA CTC7 console with the remote
Philco console radio with both the mystery control and beam of light changer

Parts:
backs for: a 7" motorola bakelite set, 10" Admiral bakelite console, 10" Delco porthole
19DQP4
Attached Images
File Type: jpg radiostuff.jpg (58.1 KB, 23 views)

Last edited by Adam; 01-27-2018 at 10:01 PM.
Old 01-04-2018, 03:11 PM
Motorola Minion

I have a 1980 System III 19" SC w/remote, I want that townhouse Philco - and maybe one of those blue-white RCA's. Price is very reasonable IMHO

I have few remote sets but you might see something else... Ill PM Bryan and BigAudio Al, Tim P too.

Last edited by DavGoodlin; 01-04-2018 at 03:14 PM.
Old 01-04-2018, 04:44 PM
VideoKarma Member

I'll definitely trade that Philco for that Zenith system III.

Last edited by Adam; 01-20-2018 at 11:45 PM.
Old 01-04-2018, 06:46 PM
M is for Memory

Feel like doing courier duty?

http://videokarma.org/showthread.php?t=269944

If the CRT is good You could buy that and sell it to me for $50 more than you paid...

I accepted a good job offer this week so I'm no longer hoarding what I made at my last job.

What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4

Reading between the scan lines since the mid 2000's.

Last edited by Electronic M; 01-04-2018 at 06:50 PM.
Old 01-04-2018, 07:32 PM
TheUniversalDave1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
I'll definitely trade that Philco for that Zenith system III.

And I've been getting into old VCRs and the like lately. I'd particularly like to find: CED players, and mid-80s or older Zenith (VHS or Beta) or RCA VCRs.
You should make a quick pit stop in Birmingham. I've got boatloads of VCR's I'd be happy to give a home.
Old 01-05-2018, 06:43 AM
Administrator

If you need a place to crash en route let me know
Old 01-05-2018, 10:22 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
Feel like doing courier duty?

http://videokarma.org/showthread.php?t=269944

If the CRT is good You could buy that and sell it to me for $50 more than you paid...

I accepted a good job offer this week so I'm no longer hoarding what I made at my last job.
You mean you left or are leaving Magnetek.
Old 01-05-2018, 11:15 AM
VideoKarma Member

Ugh Magnetek. Brings me BAD memories. I used to service alot of InFocus projectors back in the day that used Magnetek power supplies. They were blow up happy, thats for sure.
Old 01-05-2018, 11:56 AM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseljeep View Post
You mean you left or are leaving Magnetek.
They eliminated my position a while back...I saw it coming based on changes to product but I expected it to be much farther off and wanted to stick it out* another few months to make my years of experience a rounder number. Had I known earlier I'd have responded to a couple of places that sent me requests for interviews a month or two prior. *I wasn't terribly happy with what I was doing/being asked to deal with.

mbates14, sounds like you encountered some of their Billion-A-Year-Company era products. Management briefly made their goal to be a Billion a year company and got into a bunch new of products like Fluorescent ballasts....Most of those products sucked, had lots of warranty complaints and smeared the image of the company, and management dropped most of those products and support of them as well as the Billion goal not long after achieving said goal....At least according to lore.

Old 01-05-2018, 12:20 PM
VideoKarma Member

Yea, I never worked for magnetek but I did get to clean up their mess. Infocus LP350, LP530, LP540 had Magnetek power supplies in them that were known for exploding and taking out over 15 parts at one time. Starting with the Viper100A. Total nightmare. there was a 100uf 16v capacitor that sat next to the Viper IC, and it would launch it into oblivion.

My thought was InFocus came to them asking "here is what we need", and They said, "here you go". it contained the Lamp ballast as well as the main power supply for +12v +5v +3.3v etc. I probably rebuilt over 500 of those power supplies. Not all of them were fixable, as some of them would burn out the PFC boost inductor and it would lose the 300VDC back down to 160VDC from the rectifiers causing a weak lamp, and fail to ignite. Saw this alot. Used an L6561 as the main IC for that.

Then another thing they did was the ignition capacitors would love to go open, blocking the striking current to the lamp. So the lamp wouldn't strike. Hell, I have had a few of them that after rebuilding, they would run for a minute or two and explode all over again. Ugh.

The power supply had no standby either. it ran all the time.

Last edited by mbates14; 01-05-2018 at 12:29 PM.
Audiokarma
Old 01-05-2018, 03:15 PM
VideoKarma Member

Last chance, before I load up the car. But then if anyone wants to come pick it up here in Madison, this stuff's still for sale.

Last edited by Adam; 01-05-2018 at 03:21 PM.
Old 01-06-2018, 09:18 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
They eliminated my position a while back...I saw it coming based on changes to product but I expected it to be much farther off and wanted to stick it out* another few months to make my years of experience a rounder number. Had I known earlier I'd have responded to a couple of places that sent me requests for interviews a month or two prior. *I wasn't terribly happy with what I was doing/being asked to deal with.

mbates14, sounds like you encountered some of their Billion-A-Year-Company era products. Management briefly made their goal to be a Billion a year company and got into a bunch new of products like Fluorescent ballasts....Most of those products sucked, had lots of warranty complaints and smeared the image of the company, and management dropped most of those products and support of them as well as the Billion goal not long after achieving said goal....At least according to lore.
Magnetek was a spin-off of the magnetics divisions of Litton Industries. The firms they owned that made small and large electric motors, all types of transformers, new and refurbished, all sorts of ballasts etc.
Magnetek Drives was originally Louis Drives and Systems. I actually meant Louis Allis drives and systems.
Several years ago L.A D&S designed a invertor drive for the Trane Company. Trane was an important customer at the time.

Last edited by dieseljeep; 01-06-2018 at 08:35 PM. Reason: mistake of one firm name
Old 01-06-2018, 10:36 AM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseljeep View Post
Magnetek was a spin-off of the magnetics divisions of Litton Industries. The firms they owned that made small and large electric motors, all types of transformers, new and refurbished, all sorts of ballasts etc.
Magnetek Drives was originally Louis Drives and Systems.
They stopped making drives a ways back...They have been reprogramming and rebadging Yaskawa drives for years. They would have been wise not to have done that...Sometime in the last 10 years they developed an HVAC drives market and became VERY successful in it...Yaskawa gave them a choice: sell Yaskawa the HVAC business or Yaskawa will stop selling them drives...So their hard work got robbed.

Old 01-06-2018, 10:08 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Congrats!

Old 01-06-2018, 11:28 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by WISCOJIM View Post
Congrats!

Thanks.

Audiokarma