Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-26-2017, 07:47 AM
David Roper's Avatar
David Roper David Roper is offline
console lover
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,937
1958 Westinghouse roundie?

I found this in the midst of a totally unrelated search. I've never seen this set before nor heard any discussion of a change to round tubes after the rectangular ones proved troublesome. It doesn't even have a heading in the ETF database.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg $_57.jpg (97.3 KB, 147 views)
__________________
tvontheporch.com
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-26-2017, 10:47 AM
dieseljeep dieseljeep is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 5,753
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Roper View Post
I found this in the midst of a totally unrelated search. I've never seen this set before nor heard any discussion of a change to round tubes after the rectangular ones proved troublesome. It doesn't even have a heading in the ETF database.
I only saw one of those!
A used TV store, I hung around had one. There was a notice on the back, that stated that the set had been converted to use a 21CYP22.
I never knew the true meaning of the statement until several years later, that they made a rectangular CRT, that was a flop.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-26-2017, 11:29 AM
Electronic M's Avatar
Electronic M Electronic M is offline
M is for Memory
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Pewaukee/Delafield Wi
Posts: 8,934
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseljeep View Post
I only saw one of those!
A used TV store, I hung around had one. There was a notice on the back, that stated that the set had been converted to use a 21CYP22.
I never knew the true meaning of the statement until several years later, that they made a rectangular CRT, that was a flop.
Part of me wonders if that CYP conversion was from an AXP. IIRC some makers were still using AXPs that late.
__________________
Tom C.

What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4

Reading between the scan lines since the mid 2000's.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-26-2017, 12:00 PM
benman94's Avatar
benman94 benman94 is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Detroit, MI
Posts: 845
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
Part of me wonders if that CYP conversion was from an AXP. IIRC some makers were still using AXPs that late.
+1

It's my understanding the manufacturers would lend a set to Sam's for the photofact. They probably switched the whole line over to 21AXP22s right from the factory.

Most of the smaller manufacturers were using the 21AXP22 until the end of 1958. I think Motorola holds the record though, they were producing TS-905 sets well into the early 60s. I've seen ads as late as 1963 for the 21CT2M and 21CK3!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-26-2017, 12:06 PM
jr_tech's Avatar
jr_tech jr_tech is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 3,590
IIRC, Westinghouse transitioned directly from the in house made 22EP22 sets which flopped in 1957 to a 21CYP22 based set for 1958.

jr
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #6  
Old 04-26-2017, 12:09 PM
DavGoodlin's Avatar
DavGoodlin DavGoodlin is offline
Motorola Minion
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: near Strasburg PA
Posts: 2,703
This is after Sams stopped using "pink" folders for early color sets. Look in Sams 357 for the Westy rectangular CRT set. TS905 is in Sams 371 IIRC
I never saw one but reading these schematics, I imagine all the risks being trendy by selling a me-too color set.
__________________
"When resistors increase in value, they're worthless"
-Dave G
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-26-2017, 12:18 PM
dieseljeep dieseljeep is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 5,753
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
Part of me wonders if that CYP conversion was from an AXP. IIRC some makers were still using AXPs that late.
It could easily be that it was originally a roundie!
All I remember, that the set design didn't impress me. All PC board, series string, transformerless design. If you look at the picture, the panel on the left side of the cabinet was removable and the convergence settings were located which was probably a plus.
By using an all-glass CRT, made a simpler conversion kit, as you didn't need all those insulators needed for a metal CRT.
It seems to me, that many of those sets came from the factory already converted.
BTW, the Sams is dated 1959.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-26-2017, 12:28 PM
Electronic M's Avatar
Electronic M Electronic M is offline
M is for Memory
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Pewaukee/Delafield Wi
Posts: 8,934
Quote:
Originally Posted by benman94 View Post
Most of the smaller manufacturers were using the 21AXP22 until the end of 1958. I think Motorola holds the record though, they were producing TS-905 sets well into the early 60s. I've seen ads as late as 1963 for the 21CT2M and 21CK3!
Do you know of date codes in TS-905s approximately that late? While it is entirely possible they were making them that late, I'd be more inclined to think they made a large run in the late 50's that stocked a warehouse, and either realized they were not selling well enough to merit making more, or decided that it would be a good excuse to wait to engineer another chassis until the ones in stock sold.
__________________
Tom C.

What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4

Reading between the scan lines since the mid 2000's.

Last edited by Electronic M; 04-26-2017 at 12:28 PM. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-26-2017, 12:40 PM
benman94's Avatar
benman94 benman94 is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Detroit, MI
Posts: 845
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
Do you know of date codes in TS-905s approximately that late? While it is entirely possible they were making them that late, I'd be more inclined to think they made a large run in the late 50's that stocked a warehouse, and either realized they were not selling well enough to merit making more, or decided that it would be a good excuse to wait to engineer another chassis until the ones in stock sold.
I know of a 21CK3M with all '62 datecodes on the small signal tubes and '63 in the 21AXP22A. I'll see if the owner wants to post here.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-26-2017, 01:36 PM
Electronic M's Avatar
Electronic M Electronic M is offline
M is for Memory
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Pewaukee/Delafield Wi
Posts: 8,934
I'll take your word for it. Interesting that they kept it in production that long.
__________________
Tom C.

What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4

Reading between the scan lines since the mid 2000's.
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #11  
Old 04-26-2017, 01:41 PM
benman94's Avatar
benman94 benman94 is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Detroit, MI
Posts: 845
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
I'll take your word for it. Interesting that they kept it in production that long.
Not that unusual. Look at the CTC-7, CTC-9, CTC-10, and CTC-11. Aside from the tuner, and some slight chroma changes to accomodate the sulfide 21FB and 21FJ tubes, there wasn't a hell of a lot of change in the RCA color lineup from '57/'58 to '62 or so.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 04-26-2017, 02:51 PM
Kamakiri's Avatar
Kamakiri Kamakiri is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Buffalo, New York
Posts: 4,952
I have that Sams. Shows a CYP in that set.
__________________
"Restoring a tube TV is like going to war. A color one is like a land war in Asia."
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 04-26-2017, 03:22 PM
jr_tech's Avatar
jr_tech jr_tech is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 3,590
And Sams #357-12, which is pink (for h-22t155, 156, 157a) clearly shows 22EP22.

jr
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 05-22-2017, 10:29 PM
bgadow's Avatar
bgadow bgadow is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Federalsburg, MD
Posts: 5,397
I've seen many cases where the Photofact folder could be either pink or not; maybe reprints of older sets? In going through duplicate sets they didn't always match, and some sets used folders that didn't have anything printed on them. "Photofact of the month" subscribers seemed to get things different from the guy who just bought one at a time.
__________________
Bryan
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:27 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
ęCopyright 2012 VideoKarma.org, All rights reserved.