Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Solid State CRT Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-14-2016, 07:34 AM
VideoKarma Member

Cute little 9" CRT at Salvation Army

At the local Salvation Army they have a small 9" Dial Tuned CRT tv. Not sure of the brand (mabye Emerson), but it is part of the "Celebrity" model line (I'm assuming it was a basic line similar to "Zenith Custom Series". It had seperate VHF and UHF inputs with a 75ohm VHF input and a 300 ohm UHF input. Price tag of $5. Should I spring for it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1997 RCA Colortrak 27" Console
1987 Zenith 19" V3912W
Old 11-14-2016, 09:52 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCAZenith View Post
At the local Salvation Army they have a small 9" Dial Tuned CRT tv. Not sure of the brand (mabye Emerson), but it is part of the "Celebrity" model line (I'm assuming it was a basic line similar to "Zenith Custom Series". It had seperate VHF and UHF inputs with a 75ohm VHF input and a 300 ohm UHF input. Price tag of $5. Should I spring for it?

I remember seeing a 13" Samsung that was labeled "Celebrity", so it's probably a earlier Samsung product.
Regarding the price, if it's in perfect condition, go for it.
Old 11-14-2016, 04:16 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseljeep View Post
I remember seeing a 13" Samsung that was labeled "Celebrity", so it's probably a earlier Samsung product.

Regarding the price, if it's in perfect condition, go for it.

I am very very tempted. If I were a single man I'd have a house full of tvs lol.

1987 Zenith 19" V3912W
Old 11-14-2016, 04:37 PM
M is for Memory

Depends on how well it matches your taste, and how much space you have. Knowing what you want and saving room for it is not a bad thing.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 11-14-2016, 05:23 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Being a niner it won't take over a room. Well, it would if you're spending some time in the dog house for bringing it home. In that case, cheap big screen!
Audiokarma
Old 11-15-2016, 07:55 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon A. View Post
Being a niner it won't take over a room. Well, it would if you're spending some time in the dog house for bringing it home. In that case, cheap big screen!

Haha. I have my eyes on a few 80s vintage console sets that would be more worthwhile. I am tempted to buy a couple for a Mario Kart tournament that I am planning, then put them all in the garage.

1987 Zenith 19" V3912W
Old 11-15-2016, 01:52 PM
VideoKarma Member

I would grab it.I know its a crap brand but I picked up a Supersonic 5 inch B/W TV/radio never used still in its box for $3 bucks at the Goodwill last weekend..
Old 11-15-2016, 06:25 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCAZenith View Post
Haha. I have my eyes on a few 80s vintage console sets that would be more worthwhile. I am tempted to buy a couple for a Mario Kart tournament that I am planning, then put them all in the garage.

That would be pretty neat. Even 80s consoles are becoming rather scarce around here. I saw them ln the local classifieds regularly as recently as three years ago. B&W sets from the early 50s show up more often.
Old 11-15-2016, 07:43 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by centralradio View Post
I would grab it.I know its a crap brand but I picked up a Supersonic 5 inch B/W TV/radio never used still in its box for $3 bucks at the Goodwill last weekend..
It's funny how things change. At one time, the Samsung line was low end, trouble-prone rubbish. Their VCR's, sold as RCA's and GE's were a PITA.
Now look at the name! It seems to be the most sought after and desired product line and the performance proves it.
When that small B&W set was built, most any make stood up rather well.
Old 11-15-2016, 08:07 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by centralradio View Post
I picked up one of those el-cheapo 5" B&W sets at an estate sale a few years back. It didn't even come with an AC adaptor or a DC cord. Those sets were give-aways for looking at a time-share or similar.
It was on the free pile, along with a 13" Zenith color portable and a 27" Zenith console color set. I only took the Chinese cheapie and the 13" System 3 portable.
Audiokarma
Old 11-15-2016, 08:29 PM
Administrator

Quote:
It's funny how things change. At one time, the Samsung line was low end, trouble-prone rubbish. Their VCR's, sold as RCA's and GE's were a PITA.
Now look at the name! It seems to be the most sought after and desired product line and the performance proves it.
You have heard about their burning phones and exploding washing machines right?
Old 11-16-2016, 04:57 AM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric H View Post
I guess the biggest change at Samsung was in advertising

Shake, rattle and roll! Reminds me of a washing machine at my building, one of many units that have been through here since the GEs finally wore out. If a load was unbalanced even a little it would make a tremendous noise, meaning it was noisy all the time as it neared its demise. Two ladies overloaded it one day while I was down there. It shook violently, started moving away from the wall and finally blew off its front panel. Darn thing was still going after that and was quickly unplugged.
Old 11-16-2016, 10:18 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
It seems, the more money you spend on their products, the worst they are.
My $20 Samsung Tracphone is just fine.
My laundry equipment has always been Whirlpool. Good value for the money.
I look at these fancy over priced products, when I'm at Menards or Home Depot and wonder why some people could spend that kind of money on extra features, they'll probably never use.
Old 11-17-2016, 10:39 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
When that small B&W set was built, most any make stood up rather well.
Quote:
I picked up one of those el-cheapo 5" B&W sets at an estate sale a few years back. It didn't even come with an AC adaptor or a DC cord. Those sets were give-aways for looking at a time-share or similar.
It was on the free pile, along with a 13" Zenith color portable and a 27" Zenith console color set. I only took the Chinese cheapie and the 13" System 3 portable.
Quote:
Yes .Those cheap sets were give a ways.Yes Samsung was like Soundesign in their early days and Sony was tops.Now its the reverse .Sony now spends money and energy in Hollywood instead of TVs.