Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Rectangular Screen Tube Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-08-2016, 02:52 PM
VideoKarma Member

Motorola TS930 hybrid WID color console

OK, this was one of those totally unexpected finds. When I logged in to Facebook, there was a message from one of the ladies who does estate sales and flea markets. She said that a lady had this TV that I might be interested in. I could see from the picture that it was some sort of (filthy, beat up) Motorola color set; so, I called the number and she wanted to know what I'd give. I told her $10, figuring that she'd scream and cuss to high heaven; but, she told me to come get it. The pick-up could not have been easier, since it was only a few miles from home and we were able to drive right up the backyard storage building where it was (no hauling it up or down stairs, for a change). Obviously, it's filthy and I've checked nothing on it; but, it uses a TS930 series hybrid chassis and it's probably from the early '70's. Hopefully, the CRT is good and I can make it live again. She told me that another guy has been looking at it for the purpose of turning it into a fish tank and she suggested that I do the same with it. I don't like telling people too much of my business because the price often goes up; so, I just told her that I liked to tinker with old electronics. The only way this will be turned into a fish tank is if it's totally not worth fixing and I scrap it.

Old 08-08-2016, 04:46 PM
VideoKarma Member

It's actually a TS934 series chassis and one of the Motorola tubes that looks original (one that I can still read) has an early 1975 date code on it. If that's an original tube, that would make this one of the last Motorola sets before the Matsushita takeover.

Also, there is some sort of small coil that was attached to the horizontal output tube plate cap. That coil, whatever it's purpose is, has pretty much fallen apart.
Old 08-08-2016, 05:12 PM
M is for Memory

If the CRT is good and some way to get it transported to me can be arranged I'd give you $75 or more for that set as is. I had that chassis set (I like that cabinet style better) as a kid, and have been looking for one for ages.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 08-08-2016, 06:19 PM
Administrator

WID set? Sure seems to be a lot of those turning up lately.
Old 08-09-2016, 11:20 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
If the CRT is good and some way to get it transported to me can be arranged I'd give you $75 or more for that set as is. I had that chassis set (I like that cabinet style better) as a kid, and have been looking for one for ages.
You have to look far and wide to find one that is that filthy. Sloppy painters as well.
I'd bet, the CRT is wasted too. It had to be run wide open to show through all that dirt.
Audiokarma
Old 08-09-2016, 12:12 PM
M is for Memory

Perhaps, but that is only the second set, other than the one I had as a kid, I've seen with that control panel in years of keeping an eye out. Depending on shipping arrangements I'd be happy to offer more for it. Even if the cabinet was rotted to hell I'd still want it.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 08-09-2016, 01:33 PM
See yourself on Color TV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiotvnut View Post
...Also, there is some sort of small coil that was attached to the horizontal output tube plate cap. That coil, whatever it's purpose is, has pretty much fallen apart.
If it's just in series with the lead, I'd guess it's an RF choke and you can run without it if you don't see any interference.
Old 08-12-2016, 11:17 AM
VideoKarma Member

The serial number is F4116 2959. If my research is correct on how to read these numbers, the set was made at the Franklin Park Plant, on the 116th day of 1974 (Friday, 4/26). The Matsushita buyout was completed on May 28, 1974. If this is all correct, I have a special set, as it was one of the last true Motorola TV's.
Old 08-12-2016, 11:56 AM
VideoKarma Member

What a classic set.I love these WID's sets.In the garage or basement I have some boards and service manuals for these sets from the shop I was working at as they were tossing them out.I surprised they are still using tubes that year in sets.To bad Matsushita did not carry out the Motorola WID in their sets.I love seeing that big fat power transformer there next to the WID unit.If the pix tube is good. I hope you get it up and running .I could imagine all the great TV shows that were watched when they first aired on TV.
Old 08-12-2016, 04:25 PM
VideoKarma Member

'74 was the last big year for tubes in TV's; but, some TV's had tubes even later than that (mainly cheaper off brand sets, especially B&W sets); but, GE offered their tube porta-color until at least 1977.
Audiokarma
Old 08-12-2016, 11:56 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiotvnut View Post
'74 was the last big year for tubes in TV's; but, some TV's had tubes even later than that (mainly cheaper off brand sets, especially B&W sets); but, GE offered their tube porta-color until at least 1977.
Thanks radiotvnut.As I remember .To come think about it .Last week as I was thumbing through some Sams and happen to see some tube stuff and hybrids in the 1974 Sams folders.I have a GE porta-color here which was my step fathers.As I remember that the pix tube was weak back then.Probably no pix now with the CRT.To bad .It would be a good fix up.
Old 08-14-2016, 12:01 AM
VideoKarma Member

Were the WID Motorolas the first sets with audio outputs?
Old 08-16-2016, 10:39 AM
Gimpus Stereophilus!

No. Fleetwood and Radio Craftsmen had them early on in the 1950's. As those brands catered to custom installations.
Old 08-26-2016, 05:50 PM
VideoKarma Member

I jumped on the Motorola today and when I first tested the CRT, it was very slow to come up and after cooking it at 8V for a half hour, it came up into the low end of the green scale. However, after letting it cool, it fell back down. I performed an auto restore procedure with my Sencore CR70 and it came back nicely, with a good life test.

When I fired up the chassis, it was silent and the circuit breaker popped after a few seconds.
Old 09-01-2016, 02:44 PM
Motorola Minion

Being in a storage shed may have destroyed the PS capacitors if they were borderline before.

I remember several of that model around. That was a pretty common one as was this one http://www.videokarma.org/attachment...7&d=1360633239.
A lot of these survived well into the 80s, as I fondly recall working on them. They always need the module pins re-sprung, tuners cleaned and of late, electrolytic caps replaced. The CRTs did not always look great but you could always belt-em like you did. I'm not so sure limiting UHF presets was a good idea for some areas.

Last edited by DavGoodlin; 09-01-2016 at 02:49 PM.
Audiokarma