Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > VideoKarma Classifieds

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-22-2015, 09:23 PM
VideoKarma Member

WTB: Working sets in Ala/surrounding states

Hey guys, just wanted to post a want ad. I am new to this hobby, and don't yet have a decent old set. I have two mid 1980s sets I bought at a thrift store. I see a lot of sets here that I would love to have, if only distance wasn't so extreme. Most of y'all are in the great lakes area, or the west coast. It is very hard to find any kind of sets of the age I want around here. I was wondering if any of you guys in the surrounding states (MS,GA, and FL) have anything you'd like to get rid of.

I'd like to start off with something that is easy to maintain, and isn't very finicky. It needs to be in working order. I have pretty limited space, and my parents are hesitant about letting me bring in "non working junk" (The reason being a fiasco with a Zenith System 3 console that I got for free, untested. It didn't work, and now I know it was most likely a simple 9-160 replacement, but at the time I didn't have a clue. The end result was having to take it to a electronics recycle across town, which was the only one that accepted TVs.)
Because if that, I don't have the room, support, or patience to restore a set.

I would like to start off with something not too costly, easy to maintain, and not too large. Something not too awkward or complex. A simple 19"-21", non remote set.

Reading throughout the site, I have discerned that the easiest, cheapest, and longest lasting sets are 1950s-1960s monochrome B&W sets. I don't have a problem with B&W as most people do. I've used a late model (1983) RCA 13" B&W as a daily watcher ever since my hand-me-down 1988 Emerson started having vertical hold issues. In fact, I kind of like it. Not having grown up with B&W as the only option, it doesn't make me feel cheap or behind the times. It is easier on the eyes, and it is interesting watching new shows in B&W. The way they are shot, the lighting and all. New shows are made for HD color, and watching the ways the shadows and lights are compared to an actual B&W show is neat.

I would like a Zenith from about 1958-1965. I would most likely take anything I could get. The set, like I said, would need to be working and not require much maintenance. I don't have room for a large console, or a combo, it would need to be an upright consolette. I would consider a tabletop/cart combo.

The only set I can name off of the top of my head is a Zenith 14N22. Those are a tad bit newer than what I said before, but I would still love one. I have seen several posted here on the classifieds and on curbside, but the have all been too far away.

Color is always nice, but I feel as if I first need a B&W set to work on before I move onto color, but if it's something along the the lines of bgadow's free Chromacolor, I couldn't refuse it.

As far as distance, the farthest I could convince my parents to take me would probably be Orlando or Atlanta. That'd be a stretch to do, but it's plausible.
I would like to keep the cost of the set at $150 or lower, considering the expense of gas to go get it and such

Thanks for reading such a tedious post by a newbie,
David

Last edited by LovesZenith; 11-22-2015 at 09:30 PM.
Old 11-22-2015, 09:48 PM
VideoKarma Member

Your BEST BET--IMHO..for a "simple and easy to mantain set" would be a "tin can zenith' set. Most of us have a few of these. I have at least 10 of different vintages.

We call them this...because they are ALWAYS all-metal cabinet sets, table models, cold chassis, and use quality components throughout. Often...they will WORK "off the bat"...with NO repairs. They rarely have bad CRT'S, or flybacks, and repairs are usually easy on them.

Chassis #--liike 16D25, 16J22,K22, 14L26, etc. ANY one of thses sets...made from about 1959-68, BW, some space command, with a metal cabinet and power tranny are GREAT beginner sets.

What we refer to as "roundies", meaning round-CRT COLOR sets,..we ALL love them...BUT they are NOT often at ALL "easy to mantain" They will nearly ALWAYS have a "cataract" on the CRT, if they have a bonded CRT(nearly ALL of sets made after 1963 WILL have a bonded tube), and can be VERY fussy to keep running...it is TRULY a "labor of love"..to keep a roundie running and looking right.

Last edited by rca2000; 11-22-2015 at 09:52 PM. Reason: More info..
Old 11-22-2015, 10:22 PM
VideoKarma Member

I do admire the tin can Zeniths. I would snatch one up if I could find one around these parts. There's one in curbside right now that would be absolutely perfect for me. The size, price, and vintage that I want. Of course, with every set it seems, it's too far away. The price on it makes it open to shipping (Most sets on Ebay the shipping is the same price, or sometimes more that the set itself!) Knowing the Craigslist type, they probably wouldn't ship it, and even if they would I'd be very hesitant to ship it this far.
Old 11-22-2015, 11:02 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovesZenith View Post
I do admire the tin can Zeniths. I would snatch one up if I could find one around these parts. There's one in curbside right now that would be absolutely perfect for me. The size, price, and vintage that I want. Of course, with every set it seems, it's too far away. The price on it makes it open to shipping (Most sets on Ebay the shipping is the same price, or sometimes more that the set itself!) Knowing the Craigslist type, they probably wouldn't ship it, and even if they would I'd be very hesitant to ship it this far.
I had a newer bigger heavier 1963 tin can zenith shipped from Pennsylvania to the Milwaukee area, and it survived being single boxed* with 4" of bubble wrap around it with only a quarter sized dent in the metal cabinet, and it cost me $45 to ship it.

*Wanted double boxed, but it was BARELY within the max allowable package size of the USPS so it was single or nothing.

That smaller $10 tin can Zenith can likely be sent double boxed for about what it cost me and arrive safely if the seller is willing to play ball on shipping it. One of those working is worth about $60 to the right person so you would not be in too deep.

Most color sets want attention annually, and monochromes often need some attention every 1-10 years depending on make chassis and care received in the past.
I highly recommend owning a monochrome set before a color one. Color sets need lots of work so make sure you revive a dead monochrome or two to hone your troubleshooting skills before trying your hand at keeping a color set alive.

What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4

Reading between the scan lines since the mid 2000's.
Old 11-23-2015, 06:40 PM
VideoKarma Member

fits the bill

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ZENITH-TV-se...0AAOSwFGNWSSh~

pre UHF mandate so early '64 or older

73 Zeno
Audiokarma
Old 11-23-2015, 07:05 PM
Not sure how I got here.

That's the set for you ! Go Get it !
You know eventually you keep watching CL, you're going to find plenty locally.....

Old 11-23-2015, 09:14 PM
VideoKarma Member

Free Working 1960's Zenith TV

My friend near Atlanta Georgia says he will give you this working black and white Zenith if you want to come pick it up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ztv.jpg (86.3 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg ztv1.jpg (115.0 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg ztv3.jpg (68.4 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg ztv2.jpg (102.9 KB, 23 views)
Old 11-23-2015, 10:49 PM
VideoKarma Member

Oooh, I do like the price of free! How long would he keep it for me if I decided I could come get it? I was thinking sometime within the next 2 months. My mother travels to Atlanta on a regular basis (around every other month) for a weekend. I could probably cut school on Friday and tag along with her to get it.
Old 11-23-2015, 10:52 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeno View Post
fits the bill

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ZENITH-TV-se...0AAOSwFGNWSSh~

pre UHF mandate so early '64 or older

73 Zeno
I actually do like that one. I've seen it on Ebay previously. It is kinda risky for something I don't know if it works or not. Plus local pickup only is kind of a deal breaker on that one...
Old 11-23-2015, 11:38 PM
VideoKarma Member

this would most DEFINITELY be a good set for you. It either has a 5BC3 rectifier tube or Silicon rectifier. Either way...it is a NICE set--and will be a good "starter set". Cold, hand-wired, "bolierplate" construction with heavy-guage metal chassis. NO PC boards !!. Hard to go wrong on this...in FACT....if it was not so FAR AWAY...I would be going for it myself !!
Audiokarma
Old 11-24-2015, 12:00 AM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by rca2000 View Post
this would most DEFINITELY be a good set for you. It either has a 5BC3 rectifier tube or Silicon rectifier. Either way...it is a NICE set--and will be a good "starter set". Cold, hand-wired, "bolierplate" construction with heavy-guage metal chassis. NO PC boards !!. Hard to go wrong on this...in FACT....if it was not so FAR AWAY...I would be going for it myself !!
Unless he can pick that one up in person I'd recommend avoiding that model....That is a rare one with that odd ball CRT that sticks extra far out the back....With the CRT neck exposed like that I would not risk shipping it....Odds of snapped neck are much higher than other Zeniths like that.

Old 11-24-2015, 12:11 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
Unless he can pick that one up in person I'd recommend avoiding that model....That is a rare one with that odd ball CRT that sticks extra far out the back....With the CRT neck exposed like that I would not risk shipping it....Odds of snapped neck are much higher than other Zeniths like that.

Even with the metal cover over it?
Old 11-24-2015, 02:39 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by rca2000 View Post
Even with the metal cover over it?
I would not put it past the parcel delivery system to turn that piece of metal inside out.....That's thin sheet metal not 1/8" armor plating....They drop that set on it's back from 3-5' in the air and it's curtains for that CRT.

Old 11-24-2015, 02:40 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by damen View Post
My friend near Atlanta Georgia says he will give you this working black and white Zenith if you want to come pick it up.
I used to own almost that exact set, sans UHF.

Old 11-24-2015, 10:54 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovesZenith View Post
Oooh, I do like the price of free! How long would he keep it for me if I decided I could come get it? I was thinking sometime within the next 2 months. My mother travels to Atlanta on a regular basis (around every other month) for a weekend. I could probably cut school on Friday and tag along with her to get it.
He said he will save it for you. I will PM you his phone number.
Audiokarma