Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > VideoKarma Classifieds

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-03-2015, 05:18 PM
Bob Galanter

CRT for GE Portacolor needed

I shipped a working GE Portacolor to John Folsom via Fedex. I had it packed in a heavy duty double wall corrugated box and lined with 3 inches of Styrofoam sheet on all sides and they still broke the crt.

John said that he heard a huge THUMP at the front door as the FedEx driver dropped the box onto the concrete of his front stoop.

Does anyone out there have a pull from a set they scrapped that they would be willing to part with?

New Web Site under developement
ME http://AntiqueTvGuy.com
Old 09-03-2015, 05:58 PM
VideoKarma Member

This is John, the recipient of the aforementioned portacolor with the broken CRT. Can anyone tell me what CRT # it uses? Model M213CWD

Thanks!
Old 09-03-2015, 06:37 PM
M is for Memory

It should use an 11SP22. I have a near identical set with a beat up cabinet that works well enough to display a picture (I haven't tested the CRT though). Bob, I'd trade you the whole set for one of your CM 25GP22 rebuilds. I don't want to ship it myself...I've never sent a TV by mail, and doubt I'd do a better job than you did Bob.

What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4

Reading between the scan lines since the mid 2000's.
Old 09-03-2015, 06:42 PM
Followin' the Rules...

FWIW, I can provide the GE Greyscale/Purity/Convergence set up from the manual for a PortaColor if anyone needs it. They are a bit different.

Simple scan to PDF....lemme know, tis free.
"Capacitor Cosmetologist since '79"

When fuses go to work, they quit!
Old 09-03-2015, 08:32 PM
Bob Galanter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
It should use an 11SP22. I have a near identical set with a beat up cabinet that works well enough to display a picture (I haven't tested the CRT though). Bob, I'd trade you the whole set for one of your CM 25GP22 rebuilds. I don't want to ship it myself...I've never sent a TV by mail, and doubt I'd do a better job than you did Bob.
I will have to think on that a bit Tom. I may be inclined to make some sort of a deal if I get any compensation from FedEx for breaking the crt. But I will not hold my breath.

New Web Site under developement
ME http://AntiqueTvGuy.com
Audiokarma
Old 09-03-2015, 10:07 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohohyodafarted View Post
I shipped a working GE Portacolor to John Folsom via Fedex. I had it packed in a heavy duty double wall corrugated box and lined with 3 inches of Styrofoam sheet on all sides and they still broke the crt.

John said that he heard a huge THUMP at the front door as the FedEx driver dropped the box onto the concrete of his front stoop.

Does anyone out there have a pull from a set they scrapped that they would be willing to part with?
Maybe the management should check into this delivery person's past and see how much damage that person caused, delivering sent items. Maybe it's a habitual thing.
That package is light and was packed properly.
Old 09-03-2015, 10:48 PM
VideoKarma Member

I have an early poracolor, but since its complete and looks like a low hour set I think i'll hang on to mine. Looks like the white caps in mine are bad, but hopefully it doesnt need much more than that.
Hearing so many horror stories of vintage stuff destroyed in shipping.... Sometimes they get it right. A friend just shipped her grandmothers entire china set from california to wisonsin, and every piece arrived safe... She did pay for them to pack it, in 3 giant boxes. Ive had dammage to a couple record changers and tuners bought of ebay, but on those cases they were really not packed well.
Old 09-04-2015, 12:31 AM
M is for Memory

Quote:
I will have to think on that a bit Tom. I may be inclined to make some sort of a deal if I get any compensation from FedEx for breaking the crt. But I will not hold my breath.
I'd consider including some cash with the Portacolor if that makes any difference.

What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4

Reading between the scan lines since the mid 2000's.
Old 09-04-2015, 09:31 AM
VideoKarma Member

Sorry to hear that!!! I recently sent a 7DP4 from Montana to Tennessee with FedEx ground and it arrived in perfect shape. I still find them much better than UPS but sadly am starting to hear more FedEx stories these days!!!
Old 09-04-2015, 12:16 PM
VideoKarma Member

It's hard to imagine how the CRT could get broken while the cabinet was intact. Maybe the CRT, or some other part came loose? Certainly, one drop by the driver shouldn't have been able to break it.
Sony KV-7010U
Audiokarma
Old 09-04-2015, 12:51 PM
<----Zenith C845

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy View Post
It's hard to imagine how the CRT could get broken while the cabinet was intact. Maybe the CRT, or some other part came loose? Certainly, one drop by the driver shouldn't have been able to break it.
UPS and FedEx are not the most careful carriers in the world. I have read stories right here on VK of how packages are manhandled by UPS, for example, and I have had at least one bad experience with them. Seven years ago, a Zenith stereo FM radio was sent to me by a VK member. When the radio arrived at my apartment, it worked, but I found loose controls and other things under the chassis. When I emailed the sender regarding this, I was told that the package might well have been tossed around and otherwise manhandled by UPS, despite the fact the radio was packed securely. The volume control was so loose that several connections broke off, and the control itself literally fell apart. The radio has not worked right since, and it is at least partially the fault of UPS for the carrier's rough handling of the package. (I am still looking for a replacement for the ruined volume control, a 2-megohm dual pot; this is almost certainly the only thing wrong with the radio, and someday I'd like to get it singing again.) If this had been a television set, this kind of rough handling would have destroyed the CRT in no time flat.

Cathode ray tubes are extremely fragile. It doesn't take much to ruin them. If the FedEx carrier dropped the TV from any height, the CRT would be destroyed instantly unless the TV has been packed exceedingly well, and much better than the one we are discussing here. I would not trust any of these carriers to ship a television, or any other fragile item for that matter. I can also understand why most eBay sellers will not ship televisions, especially flat screens, any distance--it is just too darn risky. A flat panel TV would be destroyed instantly if it were dropped even a few inches.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.

Last edited by Jeffhs; 09-04-2015 at 01:00 PM.
Old 09-04-2015, 07:18 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:

Coming to the swap meet? I DO have a porta-color I WOULD Be willing to part out. NOT the one I am talking about selling--this is one I got that was apart when I got it... and I do not know how good the tube is. If you are interested--I will dig it out and test it in a few days. I know EXACTLY where it is and can get to it.
Old 09-04-2015, 07:45 PM
VideoKarma Member

Alas, as I am in Florida, and do not drive, it is too expensive to attend the ETM swapmeet. However, I would be interested in your 11SP22 CRT if it has good emission, and it should not be difficult to ship. Let me know that you think. email jfrosomjr(at)cfl(dot)rr(dot)com

Thanks!
Old 09-04-2015, 07:52 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Folsom View Post
Alas, as I am in Florida, and do not drive, it is too expensive to attend the ETM swapmeet. However, I would be interested in your 11SP22 CRT if it has good emission, and it should not be difficult to ship. Let me know that you think. email jfrosomjr(at)cfl(dot)rr(dot)com

Thanks!

It MIGHT be asleep...who knows how long it has been sitting idle. BUT..I WILL get it back here.....and see if it can be "woken up" and then show good emission/life and such.

If it is any good....I will let you know.

But are you SURE...it can get to you in one piece ... after all...the OTHER One did NOT.
Old 09-04-2015, 08:42 PM
VideoKarma Member

rca2000, Thanks in advance for your efforts. I have shipped/received many CRTs with no problem. The key is proper packing. But we can cross that bridge when and if the time comes.

Thanks again.