Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > VideoKarma Classifieds

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-05-2014, 09:24 PM
Biker

Anyone need a 5FP7 or 7BP7??

I know, really desirable tubes, huh?

Anyway, I've got a whole bunch of them and I was hoping someone could use one, because I sure can't!

Also, I have some magical mystery meat 10" CRT. All I know is it was made by GE, has a US navy stamp on it, octal base, and the HV connection looks like a bigger version of a plate cap like on top of a horizontal tube.

All free, minus shipping. Or just pick them up locally. Or something. Batting practice? Target practice? Throw at bears? I dunno, I just have them and they're taking up space...
Old 06-05-2014, 10:28 PM
Administrator

Post a pic of that 10". I might be crazy enough to play with that if it could fit in place of a 10BP4
Old 06-06-2014, 12:26 AM
Tinker

Hi,
I'm interested in a 7bp7. I accidentally sent you two private messages.
Ed
Old 06-06-2014, 07:57 AM
Biker

Here's the magical mystery meat tube, the little guys I've got, and another magical mystery meat rectangular:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0662.jpg (76.1 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0663.jpg (72.4 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0666.jpg (119.6 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0667.jpg (101.4 KB, 30 views)
Old 06-06-2014, 12:09 PM
The glass is -3dB.

Collect a few more and you could make a rather large CRT chess set!
Audiokarma
Old 06-06-2014, 01:15 PM
VideoKarma Member

I sent the pix of the mystery 10" tube To Peter Keller, author of "The Cathode-Ray Tube; Technology, History and Applications" and he replied:
Quote:
It is likely a 9GP7 or 9LP7. He needs to get out his yardstick and remeasure the diameter as well as the overall length. Both were registered by GE and made for the Navy. They are very similar except that the 9GP7 is about 17" long while the 9LP7 is about 15".
There is information about these early radar CRTs on page 73 of his book, but no picture of the GE 9LP7 or longer neck GE 9GP7.

jr

Last edited by jr_tech; 06-06-2014 at 01:47 PM.
Old 06-06-2014, 08:46 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoPegs View Post
Collect a few more and you could make a rather large CRT chess set!
Or if he has red green and blue phosphor tubes the could build a Trinoscope color TV or three....

What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4

Reading between the scan lines since the mid 2000's.
Old 06-07-2014, 04:45 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasadowsk View Post
I know, really desirable tubes, huh?

Anyway, I've got a whole bunch of them and I was hoping someone could use one, because I sure can't!

Also, I have some magical mystery meat 10" CRT. All I know is it was made by GE, has a US navy stamp on it, octal base, and the HV connection looks like a bigger version of a plate cap like on top of a horizontal tube.

All free, minus shipping. Or just pick them up locally. Or something. Batting practice? Target practice? Throw at bears? I dunno, I just have them and they're taking up space...
im interested ,in a few numbers can they be packaged safe for shipping.
Old 06-07-2014, 11:50 AM
The glass is -3dB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snelson903 View Post
im interested ,in a few numbers can they be packaged safe for shipping.
If you're going to be shipping a bunch of tubes, I'd recommend using some sono-tubes in the process. (the cardboard forms you use four pouring concrete pillars and such.) You can get 4' lengths of various diameters for decent prices at Home Despot, Lowes, Menard's etc. and just cut them to length with a handsaw or a band saw if your workshop is equipped.

So you get one that will fit over the largest part of the jug(as in the jug can pass wholly through it.), and cut that one to a bit longer than the face to base length of the tube.

then you get one of a smaller diameter that will sit about halfway up the bell and cut it to position the CRT in the first tube properly.

Then you cut the third one that's the smallest they sell to protect the neck, this one should go from the base all the way up to where it flares out and support the bell while protecting the neck.

Imagine coaxial cable. if I'm not describing how you have a (cathode ray)tube inside a (cardboard)tube inside another cardboard tube inside a final cardboard tube.

Then you put that whole thing into a box after filling the face end with stiff foam and the coaxial voids with fluffy stuff.

This way you could actually manage to ship them right way up like they were intended to be. (neck down.)
Old 06-07-2014, 03:17 PM
VideoKarma Member

I'd be very distrustful of placing the CRTs next to anything solid like those sono-tubes. Any sharp drop or impact will slam the CRT against the solid tube, unless you pad the insides of the tubes very carefully with foam. Plus where you fit those inside each other touching the glass actually creates an impact hazard. And you are adding a lot of weight to the shipping cost.

I always just pack CRTs in thick foam rubber that I get for free from the local furniture store. It's often used inside the shipping cartons they buy their furniture in. Gives good shock protection and it's super lightweight so it doesn't add too much to the shipping cost.

Other people have sent me CRTs wrapped in carpet padding which is also relatively cheap and does a pretty good job.

Audiokarma
Old 06-08-2014, 08:05 PM
VideoKarma Member

Put the CRT's in sonotubes and the post office will let it roll away...
Rectangular would be easier to handle.
Old 06-08-2014, 10:09 PM
VideoKarma Member

Will either tube work as a test replacement for 10BP4?
Old 06-12-2014, 09:04 PM
Biker

Ok, anyone got a good way to box these up? I don't have any purpose built tube boxes that they'll fit into. Sonotubes? Sounds like a scary way to do it. Got a lot of access to foam and peanuts and bubble wrap. I have some assorted boxes but I'm not sure what's a good one for this...