Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > VideoKarma Classifieds

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-26-2014, 12:04 PM
VideoKarma Member

1963 Ampex VR-1500 working...

Working VR-1500, will post pics soon...
Anyone interested?
Updated June 4th...

Price reduced to $300 ... As of July 5th...

SOLD

In Colorado

Last edited by Biscuithead; 01-09-2015 at 09:58 PM. Reason: Sold
Old 05-26-2014, 01:09 PM
VideoKarma Member

Found a picture... It doesn't have a cord, I fashioned a make shift...

All functions work, but it is untested hooked to a t.v. or camera, so I can't guarantee the heads...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ampex 010.jpg (70.1 KB, 53 views)
Old 05-26-2014, 01:26 PM
VideoKarma Member

Another picture so you can see the reels...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AMPEX VR-1500 011.jpg (58.4 KB, 30 views)
Old 05-26-2014, 02:45 PM
VideoKarma Member

Hey Biscuit guy ,

There are really only two considerations here , just like as in real estate , that will determine interest ;

#1 = PRICE !

And ,

#2 = LOCATION !

Sadly , your post contains neither , so for most , might as well be a million dollars and located on the moon ....
Old 05-26-2014, 03:21 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by init4fun View Post
Hey Biscuit guy ,

There are really only two considerations here , just like as in real estate , that will determine interest ;

#1 = PRICE !

And ,

#2 = LOCATION !

Sadly , your post contains neither , so for most , might as well be a million dollars and located on the moon ....

Oops... that makes since...
I am in Colorado. I have it on the bay for $900 + reels @ $100... I would sell it here for $700 for everything...
I pulled this number from a conversation with Labguy... I would crate it up and drop it off at fed-ex for an extra $50... It weighs 130lbs for shipping costs, I'm at 80537...
Audiokarma
Old 05-26-2014, 03:52 PM
VideoKarma Member

Cool , Now we know where and how much , this helps a lot . I know the name Ampex is collectable , have you done research and seen other examples of your VTR selling for around the same as your asking price ? A really BIG help for enticing folks to buy would be to hook it up to a TV and see if it actually plays . Unless this is the "Zenith Stratosphere" of the VTR world it may be hard to get $700 for it unless it's working status could be proven . Honestly put , who would risk $700 for a machine that , if the head is DOA , would be a 130 pound paperweight without the now unobtainium replacement head ?
Old 05-26-2014, 04:13 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by init4fun View Post
Cool , Now we know where and how much , this helps a lot . I know the name Ampex is collectable , have you done research and seen other examples of your VTR selling for around the same as your asking price ? A really BIG help for enticing folks to buy would be to hook it up to a TV and see if it actually plays . Unless this is the "Zenith Stratosphere" of the VTR world it may be hard to get $700 for it unless it's working status could be proven . Honestly put , who would risk $700 for a machine that , if the head is DOA , would be a 130 pound paperweight without the now unobtainium replacement head ?
I do have intentions of testing it... I need to make some cables though, and find out a little more on how to hook it up. I know that this machine is a professional machine, with an original cost of $16,000. Helical scan, 2" tape, yada, yada I spoke to a fellow who recently restored one (2008) and they are very, very rare. There was a residential console created by Ampex that this was installed in, and it retailed for $30,000... So I think $700 is a steal of a deal.... If no one is interested I'd just hang it from my ceiling like an ornament... (I really do that) but I thought maybe there was someone out there that knew what it was, has been looking for one forever, and I would make his day...
Old 05-26-2014, 09:44 PM
M is for Memory

With vintage electronics original price means squat about current market value.
I have tube Color TV sets that originally sold for north of 600$ that I've been GIVEN for free, and would be lucky to get north of 50$ out of.

What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4

Reading between the scan lines since the mid 2000's.
Old 05-26-2014, 09:59 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuithead View Post
There was a residential console created by Ampex that this was installed in, and it retailed for $30,000...
Right here are some pix of the combo: http://www.cedmagic.com/history/ampex-signature-v.html

My Word,
jr
Old 05-27-2014, 11:12 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
With vintage electronics original price means squat about current market value.
I have tube Color TV sets that originally sold for north of 600$ that I've been GIVEN for free, and would be lucky to get north of 50$ out of.
I understand about original price meaning squat as far as resale value. However original price can be a starting point to help illustrate the engineering and build quality... If you saw the cast iron frame, the absence of any plastic, the powder-coated panels, the gauge of steel, the machined parts...etc. It is easy to see the $16000 new price was because of the quality. 130lbs in a 30x18x8 dimension is no joke... I was always told to buy by weight!
$16000 in 1963 is equivalent to over $200K today... What new piece of equipment out there is equally priced as a house? (and better built)
Audiokarma
Old 05-27-2014, 11:13 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_tech View Post
Right here are some pix of the combo: http://www.cedmagic.com/history/ampex-signature-v.html

My Word,
jr
Thanks JR! I love this picture! I am going to try and print it and put it with this machine... If I end up hanging it from the shop ceiling, I will frame this ad with it...
Old 05-27-2014, 03:15 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_tech View Post

My Word,
jr
Dang! Now there is a combo I'd like to own. The tuner and amp look like Fisher gear, and the turntable is a Garrard. The audio gear in that console is probably worth more than the TV or VTR.

I wonder if any of those beasts still exist in complete form?

What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4

Reading between the scan lines since the mid 2000's.
Old 05-27-2014, 04:27 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
Dang! Now there is a combo I'd like to own. The tuner and amp look like Fisher gear, and the turntable is a Garrard. The audio gear in that console is probably worth more than the TV or VTR.

I wonder if any of those beasts still exist in complete form?
Phono is a Garrard, but the other pieces are very much AMPEX, the Mono amps were a quad of 6973s @ 30wpc. This console was an AMPEX Signature with the VTR and TV and Camera added...

I own a few Fisher pieces... and I own a few Ampex pieces... IMHO, Ampex is a little better in a number of areas, their circuitry is genius, their methodology is very forward-thinking and their aesthetics are fabulous!
Old 05-27-2014, 09:10 PM
Another CT-100 lives!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuithead View Post
I pulled this number from a conversation with Labguy...
He is the one person I know who would be interested in this machine, so I will not need to forward this to him.

Quote from another forum: "(Antique TV collecting) always seemed to me to be a fringe hobby that only weirdos did."
Old 05-27-2014, 11:07 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisW6ATV View Post
He is the one person I know who would be interested in this machine, so I will not need to forward this to him.
I spoke to him through an email, and he told me he thinks these machines should be worth thousands... but he has never seen a working one for sale so maybe $500... I averaged that to my price in classifieds
Audiokarma