Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > VideoKarma Classifieds

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-21-2014, 09:21 AM
VideoKarma Member

TV Repair Shop Contents for sale

A friend of mine's father passed away and he had a small TV repair business. He has it all for sale as one lot. Some details:

test equipment - leader scope, iso-taps, metered variac, HV meter, multimeters, soldering irons, etc

Parts - Drawers of caps, HV and LV electrolytics, paper and film, etc; drawers of resistors; boxes of semis, boxes of tubes, some new, some pulls; many drawers of a variety of hardware, knobs, lamps, etc; many loose parts like flybacks

PM me and give me an email and I can send a bunch of pix.

he wants $ 500 for all.

Unfortunately pick-up only. It is located in the Allentown, PA area.

Paul
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TV repair shop 001sm.jpg (114.2 KB, 101 views)
File Type: jpg TV repair shop 006sm.jpg (122.2 KB, 97 views)
File Type: jpg TV repair shop 008sm.jpg (139.0 KB, 98 views)
File Type: jpg TV repair shop 023sm.jpg (141.5 KB, 98 views)
Old 04-21-2014, 10:36 AM
VideoKarma Member

Doesn't look at all like a repair shop inventory, more like a small hobbyist setup. And not much of that, either.

Old 04-21-2014, 04:02 PM
Tinker

I agree, looks like the stuff I've had laying around for years collecting dust.
Old 04-21-2014, 06:06 PM
M is for Memory

In the middle drawer in the middle picture aside from a few drop caps it's all paper types which (NOS or not) are, at their present age, much too old to be safe to use as replacements.

What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4

Reading between the scan lines since the mid 2000's.
Old 04-21-2014, 06:16 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
In the middle drawer in the middle picture aside from a few drop caps it's all paper types which (NOS or not) are, at their present age, much too old to be safe to use as replacements.
All the green caps are strictly for the round file. They look like the caps, that Olson had in their grab bags. They were junk fifty years ago. I don't think, they mellowed with ago.
The can 'lytics, if unused are great for restuffing.
Audiokarma
Old 04-21-2014, 06:26 PM
M is for Memory

I've seen green caps like those in Baldwin tube organ chassis before...I've got the electronics of one that mostly works on it's original caps(though most random ones I've removed tested lousy). Ten bucks for 100$+ worth of 6SN7s and a stereo amp chassis with a similar value in tubes on it(ignoring the value of the functioning chassis) was too good a deal to pass up.

What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4

Reading between the scan lines since the mid 2000's.
Old 04-21-2014, 06:43 PM
VideoKarma Member

There are many, many drawers of parts, including electrolytics (which look fairly fresh), many of resistors 1/4w through wirewound. Loads of tubes and filing cabinets full of service manuals.

Despite some comments, it was a working business until a few years ago.

paul
Old 04-21-2014, 06:52 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
I've seen green caps like those in Baldwin tube organ chassis before...I've got the electronics of one that mostly works on it's original caps(though most random ones I've removed tested lousy). Ten bucks for 100$+ worth of 6SN7s and a stereo amp chassis with a similar value in tubes on it(ignoring the value of the functioning chassis) was too good a deal to pass up.
A few years ago, I bought a Thomas tube organ. It was at a thrift store for at least two years. I inquired about it and said, I'd buy it for parts salvage.
This one had the amplifier chassis, on the bottom, With the tone generator, on top. The T/G had all 12AU7s, the amp was PP 6V6's and a 10" speaker, rather modest at best.
Old 04-21-2014, 09:07 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by techman View Post
There are many, many drawers of parts, including electrolytics (which look fairly fresh), many of resistors 1/4w through wirewound. Loads of tubes and filing cabinets full of service manuals.

Despite some comments, it was a working business until a few years ago.

paul
Hi Paul ,

What the guys are telling you is that you have not shown photos of equipment yet that are even in the neighborhood of $500 . Straight out , old caps , with VERY few exceptions , are trash as we all know they degrade with age , whether used or brand new in their boxes . Same thing for the 1/4 watt carbon resistors , junk and all likely drifted far beyond any tolerance their lil silver and gold bands may be tellin ya . The wire wounds are likely OK if brand new but if used tend to have been used hard and thus not trustworthy either . This brings us to the tubes . One box of pulls like you show can be had at the dollar table at any hamfest on any Sunday in any town in America . The only "modern" (60s and 70s) TV tubes with any real value at all are brand new in the box beam power pentodes (6LQ6 and such) that are coveted by both the Ham and audiophile crowds . It is a sad thing to have to tell someone the truth about much of this old equipment , that with few exceptions it's relatively worthless , cause most folks usually take this news as some kind of insult . Well it's really not meant to be , it's just an honest assessment regarding what you've shown us thus far . Also , take into account that as years dwindle there seem to be fewer and fewer folks into the old stuff VS the amount of old stuff brought to market VIA places like E bay , Craigslist , and forums like these , , , couple this with a piss poor economy and folks will only open their wallets for the cream of the crop , when priced at firesale prices .

So don't take it personally , not ALL finds with cool dials and knobs are a ticket to "E bay gold" , , But DO get some more photos up , especially of the test equipment , cause that's where any sale able relics will likely be seen .

Last edited by init4fun; 04-21-2014 at 09:11 PM.
Old 04-22-2014, 11:35 AM
VideoKarma Member

Here are a few more pix I received:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TV repair shop 026sm.jpg (107.2 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg TV repair shop 021sm.jpg (111.9 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg TV repair shop 012sm.jpg (98.7 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg TV repair shop 005sm.jpg (145.8 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg Shop.jpg (116.4 KB, 83 views)
Audiokarma
Old 04-22-2014, 01:12 PM
VideoKarma Member

Still doesn't appear to be much more than a lot of (mostly useless) old stock parts (many of which are used) and some low-end very beat-up equipment.

No winners here.

Good luck with your sale.

Old 04-22-2014, 02:30 PM
VideoKarma Member

There are no treasures in that collection, unfortunately. I would contact radio/TV collector clubs in your area to see if anyone is interested in picking through it. Here's a list of clubs in the USA:

http://antiqueradio.com/clublist.html

You could also advertise on http://www.craigslist.org/ .

As the other guys mentioned (and they are simply being honest, not mean), the value of these items is far, far below $500. Sad to say, if you offered to give me this stuff for free, I wouldn't take it.

Phil Nelson
Phil's Old Radios
http://antiqueradio.org/index.html
Old 04-22-2014, 07:57 PM
VideoKarma Member

I would drive there if the price was more reasonable. I don't see $500 for what is there.
Old 04-22-2014, 08:42 PM
VideoKarma Member

The problem I see is that someone would have to sit down and spend who knows how many hours testing everything to find maybe a few good parts. $500 would buy a hell of a lot of stuff from Mouser and you can spend your time better elsewhere.

The real value in the guy's business was his knowledge and experience, and unfortunately he's gone.

I think your friend would be better off to have a yard sale and advertise it as a work bench, tools, and drawers instead of selling a bunch of tv parts a one lot. He might be more likely to get $50-$100 bucks that way.
Old 04-22-2014, 10:15 PM
VideoKarma Member

They could set up at the next Kutztown meet, a short drive away. Just price stuff plenty low so it sells. I've helped some folks sell off inventory like this, usually doing some sort of split with them. Parts would sell in lots on ebay; there is a market for old can caps. Isotaps are easy to sell, ask maybe $35 each. Ditto a decent VTVM. Somebody is always looking for a cap checker or a signal generator/signal tracer. All that stuff is pretty easy to ship; ebay it, list it here, or on the ARF. Never had much luck selling scopes, too finicky to sell as a good working example (in my experience) and tough to ship.