Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > VideoKarma Classifieds

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-09-2014, 08:28 PM
VideoKarma Member

1951 Hallicrafters and mystery Magnavox consoles (TV-radio-phono)

Hi everyone, I'm new...so my apologies if I lack some forum-specific knowledge. I run a resale booth in Elkhart, Indiana and I have these two consoles that I'd at some point like to see go to someone interested in fixing them since I would love to but don't have the time/space.

1951 Hallicrafters, model: 17861 H blond

This is actually the first item I bought when I started a booth, and I paid $200 (bargained down from $250) for it. He said it was working, but it doesn't actually come right on, but I also think it probably isn't a complicated fix. It was owned by the same people for 63 years and when they passed away a neighbor acquired it and he sold it to me. I know people aren't made of money, but I really don't want to lose money on this because frankly it does an awesome job of bringing people into my booth for a closer look. But in the grand TV Fate or Destiny universe, it seems unfair to deprive it of being a doted on by a dedicated owner.

Oh, I forgot to mention...I have ALL the original paperwork that came with this, in great condition. In the original envelope they sent to the house, postmarked November 1st, 1951. It also has a 1958 repair receipt from when it had a tube replaced. I bought SAMS PhotoFact Folder on it, not that I've been able to use it.

Album I am adding more pictures to:
Hallicrafters on Photobucket

Mystery Magnavox

I can't really find much in the way of an identifier on this thing, I'll have to comb over it again. I really just happened on this one. Again someone passed away, and her kids were basically trying to get rid of some of her things. They said it was a "big record player, and she cut the wiring at some point" and then I get it and it is this neat console. Seems like it would use a little more work (looking at the TV...). It is actually on casters so it moves pretty easily despite its size. The record player has a little remote with it, I thought that was neat. I'd be interested to hear anything about what model/year it might be. I'll go over it for more info next time I am at the booth.

Its album:
Magnavox on Photobucket

I know it isn't good to get attached to your wares, but I do really like them. They are such neat pieces of history! But if they could be adopted by someone who would put time in, I think that would be better than just an eye-catcher at a booth. Let me know what you think!
Old 04-09-2014, 08:37 PM
VideoKarma Member

It looks like the neck of the picture tube is broken on the Magnavox. That's going to really hurt the value of it.
Old 04-09-2014, 09:27 PM
VideoKarma Member

I figured it'd be a more devastating issue given the appearance. Fortunately I didn't have to part with much money to acquire it, I don't think the people getting rid of it really knew there was a TV in there anyway. It makes for nice furniture on its own at least.

Thanks for the response!
Old 04-10-2014, 01:58 AM
M is for Memory

I highly doubt that the Halicrafters TV could run on it's original capacitors at it's current age, but one thing to keep in mind is that NO tube based device (With the exception of some sets designed to run off batteries) will 'come right on'. Most tubes require 11 seconds to warm up to operational performance levels, and in TV's expect two to three times that as the HV rectifier (which has to be warmed up for the screen to light) is powered by the sweep tubes which have to warmup first to allow it to warm up.

I hate to say it, but you likely paid 2-4 times the market value of the Hailcrafters set. Consoles tend to be less desirable than table sets, and the larger radio/phono/TV consoles (especially the 40's and 50's ones that preceded modern stereo sound) tend to be even harder to sell than TV only consoles as fewer interested parties have the space to keep one.

What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4

Reading between the scan lines since the mid 2000's.
Old 04-10-2014, 12:01 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
I highly doubt that the Halicrafters TV could run on it's original capacitors at it's current age, but one thing to keep in mind is that NO tube based device (With the exception of some sets designed to run off batteries) will 'come right on'. Most tubes require 11 seconds to warm up to operational performance levels, and in TV's expect two to three times that as the HV rectifier (which has to be warmed up for the screen to light) is powered by the sweep tubes which have to warmup first to allow it to warm up.

I hate to say it, but you likely paid 2-4 times the market value of the Hailcrafters set. Consoles tend to be less desirable than table sets, and the larger radio/phono/TV consoles (especially the 40's and 50's ones that preceded modern stereo sound) tend to be even harder to sell than TV only consoles as fewer interested parties have the space to keep one.
Those Hallicrafters sets needed recap, real early in their life. They used the lowest quality capacitors available at the time.
Audiokarma
Old 04-10-2014, 05:42 PM
VideoKarma Member

I guess this all makes sense, just seems sad in that I wonder how many sets are out there like these that are big and for that reason get junked. If I had space I would keep them... Especially as someone who sells a good amount of furniture (some of it very large), I'm continually surprised at what people want vs. what doesn't sell. For instance, I've had some credenzas that are similarly shaped to the Magnavox, and even larger, and if what it sounds like is true, that'd make having a vintage TV in such a thing a definitive negative. I wouldn't be surprised if there are people who strip the TVs out and sell these things as more mundane household items.

I appreciate the information though, certainly as a seller it tells me what to look for if I end up doing more with vintage electronics. Just because something would be worth more to me does not me it will be to others!
Old 04-10-2014, 10:20 PM
electronics packrat

That remote that's with the Magnavox is not for the record player, it's for the TV.
Old 04-11-2014, 12:42 AM
VideoKarma Member

That looks like a bad Cataract to me thats almost to the center most likely not a broken neck and also the remote does reject the record and does volume on stereo.
Old 04-11-2014, 02:11 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandyn View Post
just seems sad in that I wonder how many sets are out there like these that are big and for that reason get junked.
Yes, it's sad, but that's the reality of the marketplace. Serious TV collectors often are already overcrowded with too many items, so making room for such a large thing is just not in the cards. You may have better luck trying to sell it as an interesting piece of furniture for someone who wants to make a 1950s retro room.

And before we get too tearful, remember that these TVs were designed and sold as appliances, not art treasures. Yes, a TV cost more than a toaster, but the vast majority of them were only used for a few years, until the owner got tired of fixing them or wanted to upgrade to a bigger screen or something with a cabinet in the latest style. Sooner or later, most of those TV and toasters went to the landfill, not a museum. From that perspective, it's rather remarkable that so many of them are still floating around.

Phil Nelson
Old 04-12-2014, 12:07 AM
VideoKarma Member

Well, I can hope it is not as severe of an issue then, on the Magnavox. Hopefully eventually I have time to sit down and really go through these, but that may be a while.

I appreciate that they are indeed appliances, and I assure you I can get pretty sympathetic with all sorts of old technology, toasters included! I guess it's a fascination with antiquity in both the more "artistic" sense of how everything was different and the more impressive sense of technology and its progression. Old cars, for instance, are one that a LOT of people can understand. This is an tough machine that changed the world and it is neat just to think about that whole process of invention and improvement.

I'm not saying we should preserve every single car from 30 years ago or more. But......I really wouldn't mind driving through a sea of '57 Chevys now and then either. It is good to know that there are enough people out there preserving their items that one day when our smartphones become a big historical deal there will be people who still have working ones in good shape.
Audiokarma