Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Introductions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-25-2014, 10:05 AM
VideoKarma Member

New Member from Ohio

Hello,

I thought I'd take a moment to properly introduce myself. I've made a few posts in the last month about a GE PortaColor.

My name is Nathan and I'm in the central Ohio area. I've always been into electricity & electronics and am an electrical engineer. I don't have a collection of TVs, but I have a 1972 PortaColor which I've had since I was 9 and have been using it until a recent failure. That has me motivated to get it working again, especially for sentimental reasons, and that is how I found this forum. I've always had an understanding of the theory of operation of TVs, but don't have experience with (or the special test equipment for) working on them, so I've been reading up in the last few months.

My main hobby is collecting antique (and not so antique) telephones and telephone switching equipment. I restore the phones & equipment so that I can actually use them and also have working displays. Amongst other telephone collectors I know, there seems to be some crossover interest in radios & TVs too.

Also, are any of you involved with the Early Television Museum, or will be attending the convention? I grew up in Hilliard, so it's practically in my own back yard, though I only recently discovered it. I hope to visit it soon, and to go to the convention.

Thanks!
Old 03-25-2014, 12:47 PM
Motorola Minion

Welcome to the forum, and I foresee you being a regular at ETF. Its on my bucket list at least.

I used to play with telephones quite a bit, Western Electric was in Allentown. I did see some posts about telephones at the Expeditions and Passions section.
Old 03-25-2014, 12:52 PM
Not sure how I got here.

Hi !

And welcome....

I like your "username" user181.......

That sign up screen helped me chose mine.....

Yah, google portacolor and I bet you get 50 pages all from VK about that set....
Old 03-25-2014, 02:15 PM
VideoKarma Member

Ahoy. Central Ohio as well, here. So, have any payphone keys? I can't open either one of mine...

Chip
Old 03-25-2014, 05:44 PM
VideoKarma Member

Howdy!

In my book it's hard to beat a Western Electric 202 for looks; and a 2500 for comfort, durability, easy to use.

When I first started in the hotel business we had an AT&T Horizon PBX. It had a separate unit on the counter that we'd dial in to get the toll charges for the guest. Can't remember what we called it. Great system, very easy to use. It had intuitive front desk consoles that were easy to train new employees on.
Audiokarma
Old 03-25-2014, 06:51 PM
VideoKarma Member

Welcome to the site, lots of good knowledge here...
Old 03-26-2014, 11:42 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip Chester View Post
Ahoy. Central Ohio as well, here. So, have any payphone keys? I can't open either one of mine...

Chip
What manufacturer & type of payphones do you have? Are they 3-slot or single slot? It also depends on what part of the phone you need to unlock. As far as I understand it, the coin vaults had unique keys, whereas the upper housings had a common key within a geographical region.

It may turn out that the only way for you to get into the phones is to defeat the locks and replace them with ones which you do have keys for. I know other collectors who have had to do this. You basically have to destroy the lock, but in a surgical manner so that you keep the phone intact.
Old 03-26-2014, 01:22 PM
VideoKarma Member

Hello welcome aboard the early tvexpress hold on tight and have some fun doing this. I have attended every convention at the museum Steve is a very nice guy make sure you tell him I said so. everybody that attends is really great. look forword to seeing you there
Timothy -Indianapols'Indiana
Old 03-27-2014, 06:02 PM
BigDavesTV

Welcome! I will echo Tim's (tvtimeisfun) comment about the ETF Meet in Hilliard, its a must attend, you will be glad you did! Last year was my first time there for the Meet, and I plan to be there again this year, it was a great time, and fun to meet several of the folks who post here on VK.