Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-11-2014, 11:40 PM
VideoKarma Member

Hoffman 7M112 tabletop

I must have rocks in my head. I have no place to put this mutt, and it looks desperately cheap, but it was one of those $20 craigslist rescues. A Hoffman 7M112, according to the model stamp on the back cover.

Sams lists nothing for that model number, but they do list a Hoffman 202, which matches the chassis number on the rear apron. By that measure, the correct Sams folder should be 205-5:

https://www.samswebsite.com/en/photo...index/id/71131

Before I spend $15 on a download, can anyone confirm that this is the correct folder? I can't read the model numbers on the tiny image of the folder's front page.

Judging by the tube lineup, this is a pretty basic TV. They didn't break the piggybank on the cabinet, which looks like thick pressboard. The bottom of the cabinet is pegboard, which --not surprisingly -- has begun to bust out along one edge. And there's a brightener on the 17HP4 picture tube (sigh).

Oh well, enough whining. I try to tell myself it's kind of cute, at least in the way that baby warthogs are cute. And I'll probably get at least $20 of enjoyment fooling around with it.

Phil Nelson
Phil's Old Radios
http://antiqueradio.org/index.html

Old 03-11-2014, 11:57 PM
Administrator

That's a nice clean looking set!

I have a 17LP4 in a beat up Emerson I don't really want to fix, wonder if it'll sub for the 17HP4?

A quick glance at the spec sheets suggest it might, not sure about the physical dimensions though.

Anyone have a Sub book handy?
Old 03-12-2014, 12:16 AM
VideoKarma Member

This website shows a model 7M112B and in Sams 194 but doesn't say which folder.http://new.tvhistory.tv/search/viewp...132/era/2.html The picture looks pretty close.

That's not a bad looking set for a low line model. Looks in good shape too. I would say it's well worth $20.
Old 03-12-2014, 01:42 AM
VideoKarma Member

Better photo of 205-5 here:
http://vintageadsandbooks.com/hoffma...l-0520505.html
jr

I'm guessing that the model shown has brightness, H and V hold on the back, where yours has 3 holes, as it appears to not have a pencil box door.

Last edited by jr_tech; 03-12-2014 at 01:52 AM. Reason: add guess about controls
Old 03-12-2014, 08:51 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Nelson View Post
Before I spend $15 on a download, can anyone confirm that this is the correct folder? I can't read the model numbers on the tiny image of the folder's front page.
Phil, if you haven't already bought the download, send me your address in a PM, and I'll send out a free hardcopy to you.

Audiokarma
Old 03-12-2014, 09:32 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric H View Post
That's a nice clean looking set!

I have a 17LP4 in a beat up Emerson I don't really want to fix, wonder if it'll sub for the 17HP4?

A quick glance at the spec sheets suggest it might, not sure about the physical dimensions though.

Anyone have a Sub book handy?
The 17LP4 has a cylindrical faceplate, where a 17HP4 has a spherical faceplate. The 17L is a lot rarer than the 17H.
Old 03-12-2014, 10:02 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_tech View Post
Better photo of 205-5 here:
http://vintageadsandbooks.com/hoffma...l-0520505.html
jr

I'm guessing that the model shown has brightness, H and V hold on the back, where yours has 3 holes, as it appears to not have a pencil box door.
Thanks, 205-5 is definitely the right folder. Mine does have the B, H & V controls behind the (cheap!) gold plastic pencil door. Hard to tell from the Sams photo -- maybe that other model also has a pencil door, but the detail is just washed out against a lighter cabinet color.

Jim, I'll send a PM with my address. That would be great to get a copy of Sams.

Regards,

Phil Nelson
Old 03-12-2014, 10:37 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Jim, I'll send a PM with my address. That would be great to get a copy of Sams.
Glad to help those who help others! Thanks for the great website and all the restoration adventures.

Old 03-12-2014, 12:43 PM
Learning as I go

I was going to make a thread about this, but I figured that I could post it here...
Does anyone know anything about the easy vision model 7B-157?
Old 03-12-2014, 12:49 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by josephdaniel View Post
I was going to make a thread about this, but I figured that I could post it here...
Probably should start your own thread, as Phil's Hoffman's set doesn't appear to be an Easy-Vision set, so what you are asking about doesn't fit under this topic.

Audiokarma
Old 03-12-2014, 02:51 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by josephdaniel View Post
Photofact here:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/3604050...ectorid=229466
Looks like a 21" version of the set Phil has.

Not affiliated,
jr
Old 03-12-2014, 03:07 PM
Learning as I go

Quote:
Originally Posted by WISCOJIM View Post
Probably should start your own thread, as Phil's Hoffman's set doesn't appear to be an Easy-Vision set, so what you are asking about doesn't fit under this topic.

I guess so... :p
Sorry, I want attempting to hijack your thread Phil...
Old 03-12-2014, 05:37 PM
VideoKarma Member

Well, already I got my basic question answered, so no harm done. It's usually less confusing if you don't mix up threads, though.

I was about to ask dieseljeep if he knows of any other 17" tubes that can sub for a 17HP4, when I thought to check this one, just in case. After about 90 seconds on the tester, the needle cruised up into the happy zone.

It may not be the greatest tube on Planet Earth, but I'm betting it will make a picture. I'll set the brightener aside and try the set bareback when its turn comes.

Phil Nelson
Old 03-12-2014, 05:51 PM
RCA 741PCS

Cool I've encountered several sets lately with brighteners on good CRTs. I'm starting to think it was a way for servicemen to make a quick buck back in the day.
Old 03-12-2014, 06:28 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Well, already I got my basic question answered, so no harm done. It's usually less confusing if you don't mix up threads, though.

I was about to ask dieseljeep if he knows of any other 17" tubes that can sub for a 17HP4, when I thought to check this one, just in case. After about 90 seconds on the tester, the needle cruised up into the happy zone.

It may not be the greatest tube on Planet Earth, but I'm betting it will make a picture. I'll set the brightener aside and try the set bareback when its turn comes.

Phil Nelson
The only CRT that fit, mechanically would be a 17BP4, but it is a magnetically focused CRT. You would have to furnish and mount a PM focus unit.
Good thing the CRT is good. It looks like a replacement to me.
Audiokarma