Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Flat Panels & Digital Format

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-10-2014, 08:08 AM
Scanning The Skies

Can anybody recommend a good LED smart TV?

HI ALL

OK! So the decision is made to upgrade our TV. It's a 2010 Panasonic TX-L37S20BA (LCD) and has always had a couple of small issues like motion blur on very fast moving objects and noticable striations on gunfire (bright scenes) etc. Anyway, I'm now after one of these smart TV's that connect to the net to give loads of other things. I'm still favouring the Panasonic as lots of these issues have been ironed out. I only got this because at the time I didn't really want any other brand (impluse purchase) and there were Freeview channels I wanted to see (coupled with the fact our old CRT TV had screenburn due to black bars at the top and bottom of the picture).

It also has an ethernet port on it, too. Supposed to give internet TV and it fails to deliver (apart from one channel). So it's going!

Over to you guys! What do YOU recommend and why? Please bear in mind the maximum size I can get is 42 inch.

Last edited by soundman2; 03-10-2014 at 11:51 AM. Reason: added text
Old 03-11-2014, 03:06 AM
Banned

The newer Panasonic LED/LCD are getting good press I saw 2013's at BB They look good .
I don't know what you have there tier one brands would be the usual suspects Sony,Panasonic ,Toshiba ,Samsung,Sharp Quatron,

I don't know if you have ROKU over there they usually work better than most embedded
Smart TV . I have 2 Roku's they work very well.

( I don't care for the LG IPS panels they usually have poor contrast ) but that could vary by model ofc. . I have one an LG 42 LN5300 it's in a spare room good view angle but abysmal contrast only 2000:1.

OTOH the Sony and Toshiba have good contrast 5000:1and 4500:1 respectively but not so good view angle . I think Panasonic uses IPS panels yet they seem to manage a very good picture .

Unfortunately Sony uses some LG IPS panels now
they also have AUO and Samsung panels I would want one of those if I were looking for another Sony mine has a Samsung SPVA panel.

ofc the Sammie plasma has the best contrast , view angle and picture (if the room is not overly bright but normal controlled daylight is fine )

I have a Sony Bravia 40R450A (I think it is a 453A over there ) in my bedroom that replaced an otherwise fine but too small 32" Toshiba LCD. and a 60"Samsung Plasma
(excellent picture).and the LG . I bought them all in Feb 2013 and Feb 2014 at end of mode year discounts.

New models come in mid March,April so that's the time to buy the outgoing models at a a discount. here in US at least. All the 2014 Sony's will be smart sets. Probably all but the least expensive sets of most other brands as will as well .

I would wait for the new 2014 Sony W7 and W8 sets and see how they are http://www.sony.co.uk/hub/new-tvs
The 2013 Sony's are probably sold out OToH if you can find a 2013 W6 series that good good review . the 2014's should be better in the 40 and 42"sizes .

Or The current Panasonic LED are very good I'm sure the new ones will be also then

In the 2013 40 - 47 sizes " I would look at Sony,Panasonic Toshiba and Samsung in that order based on what I have seen with Panasonic and Sony W6 + series being the best of these based on what I have seen . I've seen all of these US 2013 sets including the Visio E series which were unremarkable but reasonably decent overall .

Are looking to buy an outgoing model or a 2014 model?
The newer sets with slim bezels may allow a larger size in your space perhaps a 46" or 47"

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/category/reviews

Last edited by tubetwister; 03-11-2014 at 04:09 AM.
Old 03-11-2014, 08:04 AM
Scanning The Skies

Thanks for that Tubetwister! Still edging toward Panasonic. I don't think I'd be happy with any other make!

Last edited by soundman2; 03-11-2014 at 09:25 AM.
Old 03-11-2014, 09:39 PM
VideoKarma Member

I would suggest, LG and Sony but not Samsung, just returned a Samsung 32" "Smart TV" today. The set was cheap and feather lite, The smart TV part locks up two to three times a day only way to fix is to turn it off and then back on. Swapped it out for an LG 42" non smart and am much happier. The LG has a better picture I think.
Old 03-12-2014, 11:56 AM
Scanning The Skies

The Panasonic TX-L42ET60 looks good. Saw one of these today at a Panasonic dealer a few miles away!
Audiokarma
Old 03-12-2014, 10:05 PM
Banned

( I don't care for the LG IPS panels they usually have poor contrast ) but that could vary by model. I have an LG 42 LN5300 it's in a spare room good view angle but abysmal contrast and not so great of picture only 2000:1 contrast most LG XXLN 5XXX models seem to spec that way. I replaced it with a Sony. KDL 40R450A with a Samsung SPVA panel and much better pix. fit and finish. Ofc the view angle is not much (typical of VA and SPVA panels TBH it is abysmal that's the trade off for the better picture at these price points

My LG is light and feels cheap OTOH my Sony is even lighter but looks feels and plays like better overall quality even though it's made by Foxconn and not Sony . I got the same impressions from the Panasonic. All the new sets are getting lighter that's a trend with LED back light/edge light and more efficient lower wattage circuits .

When I was shopping for a ~ 40-46" set the best pictures were the Sony's the Samsung UNEH5300/5500 series and the Panasonic
TC-L42ET60 ( US model ) all very close. Any of the 3 would have been fine with me picture wise .

I was more interested in the Sony and Panasonic though
(slightly better pix and much better quality feel at least at these price points ) I ended up with a Sony they were out of the Panasonic that could have went either way .TBH I might have ended up with the Panny if they had one .

I would pass on LN5XXX series LG sets altogether and look at Samsung,Sony or Toshiba or Panasonic there are a few recently purchased LG XXLN 5XXX at AVS developing horizontal lines in the picture.

Last edited by tubetwister; 03-12-2014 at 11:00 PM.
Old 03-13-2014, 01:05 PM
Scanning The Skies

I think it's going to be the Panny!
Old 03-15-2014, 07:35 PM
Another CT-100 lives!

I have been very happy with more than one Samsung LCD TV set, including one that I have owned for over four years now. One nice thing is, their remote controls are nicely laid out with good-size buttons. Be sure to look at the remote controls of any sets you compare, since that is what you will have in your hand as you use the set.

Quote from another forum: "(Antique TV collecting) always seemed to me to be a fringe hobby that only weirdos did."
Old 03-16-2014, 01:47 PM
Scanning The Skies

Currently looking at all the smart TV's available. Panasonic is No.1 choice, but here in the UK they lack certains apps. I'm going to take my time on this one and not jump in feet-first only to regret it later.
Old 03-17-2014, 11:50 AM
Scanning The Skies

I've just looked at the Panasonic 2014 range - WOW! I'll hold off until these are available!
Audiokarma
Old 09-21-2014, 11:38 AM
VideoKarma Member

thinking about a VISIO dimming light 50 inch flat screen I an strongly considering a dumb set as I already have 3 rokus and a smart DVD player.(panasonic blue ray ). any one care to comment? or think about commenting please do and thanks.
Old 09-21-2014, 11:50 AM
VideoKarma Member

We have 2 6000 series slim 2011 model (46 inch and 52 inch) Samsung LED and they are pretty good.
Old 09-22-2014, 08:57 AM
VideoKarma Member

I have a 46" Visio non-wifi "smart" tv from 2011 or so. Motion artifacts make it less than ideal to watch on some programs... almost like stutter cuts at the cut points in programming. I've tried some adjustments on the set and the sat receiver, but still annoying -- only to me. It's a cheap 'stopgap' set that will probably go out the door to my son soon, but I'll read up a bit more before the next one.

Are there things you can do with a "smart" TV you cannot do with the external boxes? I would trust someone like Apple or Roku to address a security problem (eventually!) before a TV set mfg. to do so in a timely manner... like ever.

Chip