Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > VideoKarma Classifieds

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-26-2013, 01:20 AM
VideoKarma Member

Wink 25" Zenith Chromacolor II set for sale

Hello all,

UPDATE: My mistake, the thread title should read 25". Looks bigger than it is
UPDATE: See pictures of it powered up! Checkout my album for a few more.

Anyone interested in an early 70's Zenith Chromacolor II set located in Ontario Canada? about 25", full size.

It's in a steel vinyl wood-grained trim cabinet, no feet. It works pretty good, could use a tune-up, but has a beautiful picture, can't quite describe it, much better than the newer ones.

Would like a few bucks for it, but mainly a good home that would use it, and could keep it in good repair, it's such a nice set. I can't even think of dumping it, that'd be a crime.

It looks almost identical to this (without the wood cabinet):
http://www.videokarma.org/showthread.php?t=164199

It's in storage right now, so it's a tad difficult to take a picture of it. I will if there's some interest. Just had it powered up about 4 years ago, so she's still a runnin!

Cheers!

Bellarmine
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0-Zenith ChromaColor II - Front View.jpg (108.2 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg 3-Powered on - MGM.jpg (69.0 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg 4-Movie 'Namu'.jpg (94.5 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg 4-Back view.jpg (77.1 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg 9-Flyback.jpg (122.9 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg 6-Labels.jpg (109.0 KB, 12 views)

Last edited by bellarmine; 09-27-2013 at 03:42 AM. Reason: screen size
Old 09-26-2013, 01:51 AM
M is for Memory

Me thinks you have your screen size digits reversed. During the Chromacolor I/II era the biggest CRT's Zenith had to offer were 25". 23" screen sets were a very common screen size before and after that time though.

Be aware that to most to folks who collect vintage TV's, Solid State sets(which all Chromacolor II sets were) are rarely worth more than 25$(if a buyer can even be found) even sets that are in perfect condition.

The three Zenith CCII sets I have, I would not have got if they were not 1) free or nearly free and 2) a cheap source for parts that can be used on older more desirable sets.

What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4

Reading between the scan lines since the mid 2000's.
Old 09-26-2013, 02:15 AM
VideoKarma Member

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the advice, I corrected the screen size. Funny, looking at it it looks bigger than 25 inches, much bigger than a 21" monitor for example. Anyway, thanks for the correction.

Was wondering about the resale value of the set, I notice a lot of want ads for older Zenith "roundies". Guess that means old 50's circular picture tubes? Maybe if I hang on to my Chromacolor II set for another 10 years, it'll be a lot more desireable lol I am not going to dump the set, that's for sure, I see enough of them at the dump already....

One thing I'm wondering about, would you know any info on the so-called "safety capacitor"? I hear horror stories about it going and blowing up the tube. How can I tell if mine should be changed, and could I still buy the part? The reason I ask, is when using the set on a daily basis, I hear this loud "crack" sound a couple times a week, would this be that capacitor?

Thanks again Tom, any and all input is much appreciated!

Bellarmine

Last edited by bellarmine; 09-26-2013 at 12:26 PM.
Old 09-26-2013, 02:31 AM
Bullies beware.

Could be arcing around the flyback anode cap caused by crud in there as well, which could kill the flyback if left unchecked. The problematic capacitors will be in the vicinity of the flyback transformer; white is bad, orange is good.
Old 09-26-2013, 02:49 AM
VideoKarma Member

Thanks Jon for the advice, I'll check that out, and see if it's dirty! I'll also check the color of the cap, hopefully it's the orange one....:^)

Cheers!

Bellarmine
Audiokarma
Old 09-26-2013, 02:54 AM
Bullies beware.

Just for safety's sake, not knowing how much you know about older sets, make sure it's unplugged and discharged first! If nothing better is on hand you will need a slot screwdriver grounded to the chassis; sliding the grounded screwdriver under the anode cap could cause a loud POP and a blue flash. Of course if you're just popping the set open to look inside and nothing more, you're fine.
Old 09-26-2013, 03:07 AM
VideoKarma Member

Thanks again, that's a good idea. I have a basic understanding of electronics, I figure putting a resister in series with the screw driver would be a good idea, reduce the "blue-flash" somewhat. Is the hi-voltage wire like spark plug wire? Can I just untwist it from the flyback, clean the terminal pin and surrounding area, trim 1/2" off the end of the wire so it's fresh, and twist it back on?

This is great, I'm finally getting some answers to these questions that I've wondered about since I got the set.

Bellarmine
Old 09-26-2013, 03:16 AM
Bullies beware.

The high-voltage wire is the big wire going to what looks like a suction cup on the back of the screen. Cleaning the underside of that cap, the contact there and the area surrounding area where it goes on the CRT will suffice. I don't think the high-voltage wire can be modified safely; I'm not even sure if it can come off the flyback. A heavy-duty resistor in series with the grounded screwdriver ought to be fine, but I would ground it straight afterward and leave it under there for about a minute just to make sure. I'm pretty new at the TV thing myself, and I'm lacking in tools, so I don't know much. Oh, there will be more than one safety cap.

If only you were closer or I had a way to get there, I would buy that set no sweat at all. I'm one of the very few solid-state collectors here. I would only part out one of those if it were a total basketcase.

On a side note, Magnavox sets of that era had the same safety cap problem, but it didn't get as much attention. Kind of like the bad PR pre-'77 Pintos and Bobcats got for catching fire when rear-ended when lots of other cars were just as likely to do so.

Last edited by Jon A.; 09-26-2013 at 04:54 AM.
Old 09-26-2013, 10:18 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
Me thinks you have your screen size digits reversed. During the Chromacolor I/II era the biggest CRT's Zenith had to offer were 25". 23" screen sets were a very common screen size before and after that time though.

Be aware that to most to folks who collect vintage TV's, Solid State sets(which all Chromacolor II sets were) are rarely worth more than 25$(if a buyer can even be found) even sets that are in perfect condition.

The three Zenith CCII sets I have, I would not have got if they were not 1) free or nearly free and 2) a cheap source for parts that can be used on older more desirable sets.
EM sums up the value well. Ultra modern style sets tend to be
a little more in demand. They were usually low production &
full featured sets. Yours has one of two chassis, a flat or an
upright chassis. The flat chassis is more in demand, most believe
including me its the best color TV ever built by anyone, anytime,
anywhere. For the cap problem if you get the model or chassis
# we can tell. Chassii affected are
17EC45, 19EC45, 25EC45 runs 401 & higher.
(earlier runs & flat chassis have a similar problem)
17FC45, 19FC45, 25FC45
You can also look for a modified sticker on the back.
Thanks for keeping it alive !

73 Zeno
Old 09-26-2013, 12:34 PM
<----Zenith C845

I thought it was a mistake as well when I saw "32-inch Zenith Chromacolor II" in the title of this thread. No CCII I've ever seen has had a CRT larger than 27 inches.

Zenith wasn't using the designation "Chromacolor" any longer by the time projection sets and flat screens became popular. IIRC, they did refer to some of their mid-'80s CRT sets by names such as "AVI" and "SEq", the latter referring to refinements in the sound system found in high-end deluxe sets and the former referring to advanced video processing circuitry, also in deluxe CRT sets. These designations also went by the boards when flat screens arrived, but by then the original Zenith Radio Corp. of Chicago was well on the way out; the rights to the Zenith name and logo were sold to offshore interests shortly after the company left the US, but that's another story.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.
Audiokarma
Old 09-27-2013, 04:08 AM
VideoKarma Member

Talking New Pictures (see top and album)!

Thanks Jon, Zeno and Jeff for all the info!

Decided to get it out and photograph it for all you here, checkout the pictures I just uploaded at top, also my album. Figured might as well get the old electrolytic capacitors re-charged again, they don't like sitting around... Powered up perfect, no problems. Noticed the color getting deeper after a few minutes, takes a few hours to settle down again after a few years of non-use. I measured it, and it is 24 - 25". Strange, looks bigger than that, can be deceiving.

Jon, thanks for the thought about buying it off me, I appreciate it. So you're in Nova Scotia? I have some friends in Moncton/Fredericton, NB, they come over to Ontario once a year to their cottage right next door. Was thinking, if you're serious about it, I could ask them if they'd consider taking the TV back with them to NB next time they're here, and you could pick it up from there. Just a thought.

Zeno, I guess I have the 'less desirable' upright chassis. I intend keeping the set in any case, I've found the longer you keep something the more valuable it gets, real pack rat I am. (saw an old Seagate 428mb hdd like one I have go on eBay for $120, can you believe it??)

Regarding the chassis, I can't find any labels on the set, just a faded red one on the back that maybe says S450W if I'm right? Can you tell just by looking at it? I see what looks like a fat resistor in front of the flyback (see pictures at top). Is that the bad type safety cap?

Jeff, I agree about Zenith going downhill later on. Back in 99 I got a newer Zenith "Space Command" 24" TV from my grandmother, was from the early 90's, huge difference in quality. I just gave it away to get rid of it years ago, picture was always stretched vertically, the red bled like crazy, was nothing to it inside. This set is far superior in my opinion, 15 years older too.

Speaking of age, would anyone know the exact date of this set?

Thanks again everyone!

Bellarmine

Last edited by bellarmine; 09-27-2013 at 04:50 AM.
Old 09-27-2013, 05:35 AM
Bullies beware.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellarmine View Post
Jon, thanks for the thought about buying it off me, I appreciate it. So you're in Nova Scotia? I have some friends in Moncton/Fredericton, NB, they come over to Ontario once a year to their cottage right next door. Was thinking, if you're serious about it, I could ask them if they'd consider taking the TV back with them to NB next time they're here, and you could pick it up from there. Just a thought.
Bellarmine
Sure! Looks like it needs work (foldover and purity?) and definitely safety cap replacement, but it would be a fun challenge. The tools can come in time as they're common. These TVs? Not so much.

Should have read this more carefully at first. Pickup in NB? That could be a challenge. Currently I have no way of getting there. With plenty of notice I should be able to work something out, with ride share ads and the like.

Yeah, this thing needs a full resto really. I'm up for it.

Last edited by Jon A.; 09-27-2013 at 10:33 PM.
Old 09-30-2013, 10:36 AM
VideoKarma Member

What you have is the early production 25EC45.
It uses the separate caps NOT the troublesome "4 lead cap".
If you plan on running it the separate caps should be replaced.
One can be seen behind the hoz output. They are marked
22-5001 One or two more are mounted on the flyback &
the rest are on the bottom right of chassis behind. Total
of 5 IIRC. You MUST use the proper replacements !!!
The chassis folds down easily if you do it.

73 Zeno
Old 10-04-2013, 02:20 AM
VideoKarma Member

Smile

Hi Everyone,

Great news! I thought I'd let you know, I posted the TV on Kijiji, and lo and behold, 24hours later a chap in Northern Ontario offered me $75 for it. I asked $100, and he agreed! He's coming to pick it up in a few days. A lot better than $25, huh EM?...lol...

Jon, thanks again for your interest! Sorry it didn't work out, but maybe it would've been a big problem for you, so better for both of us. Hope you find another one, there's actually a nice one in Barrie right now, a modern ChromaColor II with remote, here's a link:
http://ontario.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-s...AdIdZ523559614

Zeno, thanks for the info on the safety caps, it's nice having an answer after all these years. Glad I don't have that weird notorious 4-lead one. I'm going to let the new owner know about these issues, and point him to this very thread, so he can maybe continue on the chat.

I'm going to clean and dust off the set this Sunday, before he arrives. Maybe clean the high-tension wire. Then I'll use it for a few days to make sure it's working ok I'll keep you posted with how things go.

Cheers!

Bellarmine
Old 10-04-2013, 11:10 AM
VideoKarma Member

Congrats ! You are quite the salesman. The other one you
found is an Avanti. Very popular with the colectors due to the
styling. Probably a yr or two newer than yours but the same guts.

73 Zeno
Audiokarma