Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > VideoKarma Classifieds

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-28-2013, 02:01 PM
VideoKarma Member

Shipping a CRT?

I am so saddened when I read about another CRT that didnt make it, arived in multiple pieces or with un-intended accessory air installed.
I came to me that most of us have never seen how CRT's were shipped in the day. The were sent by truck, UPS, and US Postal and never a broke one heard about in my area. (Yes, our local shops had a great relationship, swaped manuals and insight. We even got together and had a anual picnic!)
Below is a quick example I cut together to show what the cartons were like. It looks a bit sloppy but this would ship if needed.
There are several extra layers at the bottom and around the edges. The cross piece should fit against the CRT bell and the top of the carton flaps.
The neck must never touch anything and should have a gap of 1 or 2 inches to the top of the box flaps. The neck will be in free air space no matter what direction the box is in but label it UP and FRAGILE anyway.
Never use packing peanuts, chunks of styro-foam, carpet padding, or wadded paper. Nothing around the neck but space.
Remember these CRT's are a finite resource and it is up to us to be carefull proper custodians of what is left.
SHIP IT RIGHT, let another set live to tell the story.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2642.jpg (64.2 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2643.jpg (51.7 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2645.jpg (76.3 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2646.jpg (60.6 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2647.jpg (57.9 KB, 37 views)
Old 08-28-2013, 11:32 PM
Hello, I must be going

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6GH8cowboy View Post
I am so saddened when I read about another CRT that didnt make it, arived in multiple pieces or with un-intended accessory air installed.
I came to me that most of us have never seen how CRT's were shipped in the day. The were sent by truck, UPS, and US Postal and never a broke one heard about in my area. (Yes, our local shops had a great relationship, swaped manuals and insight. We even got together and had a anual picnic!)
Below is a quick example I cut together to show what the cartons were like. It looks a bit sloppy but this would ship if needed.
There are several extra layers at the bottom and around the edges. The cross piece should fit against the CRT bell and the top of the carton flaps.
The neck must never touch anything and should have a gap of 1 or 2 inches to the top of the box flaps. The neck will be in free air space no matter what direction the box is in but label it UP and FRAGILE anyway.
Never use packing peanuts, chunks of styro-foam, carpet padding, or wadded paper. Nothing around the neck but space.
Remember these CRT's are a finite resource and it is up to us to be carefull proper custodians of what is left.
SHIP IT RIGHT, let another set live to tell the story.
WOW! Thanks for posting. I recently got a 20CP4 that was crushed and dead on arrival. Was packed well, but not like this. The box was crushed a bit by UPS and since there was foam between the box and the neck of the CRT, the plug was cracked into 4 pieces and my repair, while visual looked perfect yielded a nice purple light show inside the CRT neck when trying to set the G2 voltage. NO EMMISSIONS. So still on the hunt for a good 20CP4 or 20DP4. If I ever ship a CRT to anyone, I will pack like this! Thanks again for posting.
Old 08-29-2013, 09:59 AM
sampson159

i ve shipped about 13 crts in the last 5 years.not one got damaged during shipping.9 were 21 roundies.i guess i ve been lucky.i always use fedex to ship.
Old 08-29-2013, 10:37 AM
Bullies beware.

A great idea, but I would be afraid to use cardboard for the cross piece in case the thing were up-ended during shipping.
Old 08-29-2013, 11:46 AM
VideoKarma Member

the cardboard the the grid pattern shown is how the factory did it, very strong, just make sure its snup up against the bell and you have several inches above the base terminating at the box top. I just boxed up some CRTs the same way, using two boxes of the same size so I could slide one on top of the over to adj the depth as needed.

Using quality cardboard is a must. If you have doubts just double it up on the grid over the neck.
Audiokarma
Old 08-29-2013, 12:04 PM
VideoKarma Member

For a larger CRTs like a 21" you might use a heavier gauge cardboard. If really OCD , one could run a bead of elmers down the joint. As is, it would go upside down with no problem. (Courogated cardboard has a lot of compression resistance as long as it isn't bent.) This method is how most all CRTs were shipped. I have seen packaging in the form of a styro-foam form fitted container but never had on in my hands.
Cardboard was defacto standard.

Always remember to leave a couple inches around the neck and the end of the base cap in all directions. A friend of mine recieved one that was slightly crushed and the base cap was destroyed and leads were broken right off at the glass nib, totally FUBAR'd.

To further imobilize the jug, one could put it in a trash bag and put a shot of Great Stuff at each corner of the box and in the outside wings of the cross piece. Again keep the neck clear! The trash bag keeps it from sticking to the tube itself.
Old 08-29-2013, 04:44 PM
Hello, I must be going

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveWM View Post
the cardboard the the grid pattern shown is how the factory did it, very strong, just make sure its snup up against the bell and you have several inches above the base terminating at the box top. I just boxed up some CRTs the same way, using two boxes of the same size so I could slide one on top of the over to adj the depth as needed.

Using quality cardboard is a must. If you have doubts just double it up on the grid over the neck.
Hey DaveWM, would not happen to have a 20CP4 in one of those awesome shipping boxes you could send my way, would ya????
Old 08-29-2013, 09:08 PM
VideoKarma Member

nope pretty low on rectangle BW stuff.
Old 08-29-2013, 10:47 PM
VideoKarma Member

I have a few NOS crts of various vintages and this is, indeed, how they were shipped. Most have labels telling you to turn the box upside down and remove it from the bottom, meaning that "eggcrate" of cardboard supports the whole crt. No problem. I'll admit, the last one I shipped I filled the empty spaces with packing peanuts, for better or for worse. I also have one of those styrofoam containers (a Channel Master 23v) and it works really nice.
Old 08-29-2013, 10:57 PM
VideoKarma Member

Dave knows my horror stories.. A 12LP4 shipped via UPS arrived broken and no emissions, and a 21 color roundie shipped via Greyhound arrived with a broken filament lead at the glass.. Two times I ever needed CRTS shipped and both times were nightmares..

Packing job on the 12LP4 was horrible.. and the packing on the color roundie tube was questionable...
Audiokarma
Old 08-30-2013, 08:55 PM
<---WANTED: Motorola 17P6

I recall when a fellow VKer here (Randy Bassham) shipped me a 17RP4.

Pretty much the same design, HOWEVER, he stuck some foam in the bottom to support the face, stuck the CRT in a trash bag, put it in the box, then blasted GREAT STUFF (expandable foam) in the empty spaces of the box up to about the neck and let it harden.. When it got here, it was still solid in the box and perfect

Perhaps a combination of ideas will make a fort knox secure system for shipping these CRTs

Yes, the GREAT STUFF has been put to the test with GREAT results

SR

Last edited by Boobtubeman; 08-30-2013 at 09:01 PM.
Old 08-30-2013, 09:54 PM
sampson159

thats the best method for shipping a crt,ever!