Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-05-2013, 07:31 PM
Super Moderator

Post RCA Victor 8" Portable tv Need help.............

I have one of these sets in the metal cabinet with antenna on back, and, four legged stand. Carry handle on top.
This set has been severely messed up, and, they put picture tube back in wrong, and, it may be missing parts.
I have the sams on it, and, it says very little on how to put it together. In fact, nothing.
I need either an original RCA mannual copy, or, if it's in Rider's, then, that.
Or, can anyone tell me the correct way, what goees where, and, what should be there?
Please help.
Thanks.
Bill Cahill
Old 08-05-2013, 07:50 PM
Administrator

Bill, Phil Nelson has an article on his Site about these sets, this should be all you need.
http://www.antiqueradio.org/rca16.htm
Old 08-05-2013, 08:41 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks. I e mailed myself a copy of the mannual. But, I still have some questions.
Am I missing some of the paper around neck? Looks like it.
Am I in trouble on ion trap? Both sets appear to have no magnetism on either magnet.
Does that ome paper circular disk go in the middle of the two centering magnets?
Should there be anything else around yoke?
I seem to be missing a yoke adjustment part on both sets.
H E L P !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Bill Cahill
Old 08-05-2013, 09:15 PM
VideoKarma Member

Could you post up a couple of photos of what you do have around the yoke? It is difficult to figure out what you are missing (if anything) without seeing what you have.
Do you mean that you have 2 of the TV sets or 2 sets of magnets?

jr
Old 08-05-2013, 09:32 PM
Administrator

There is (or was) a long piece of stiff Fish paper under the Ion trap and extending to the end of the metal shield over the CRT neck, this is used for adjusting the Ion trap.
The traps are so weak you won't be able to feel the magnetism, in fact they are so weak you may not be able to get a raster unless the metal neck shield is in place.

The plastic yoke cover is always rotted away on these sets and the centering magnets are usually left hanging. there is a clamp with a single screw that holds the yoke against the CRT, the cover would have had serrations so you could reach through a hole and rotate the yoke with a screwdriver, then you tighten the screw to hold it. (this is all from memory so I may be off on a few details).

There is something between the centering magnets, I thought it was a piece of brass but it could be paper I guess.
Audiokarma
Old 08-05-2013, 09:41 PM
VideoKarma Member

I'm working on one of these right now. Here's a pic that shows the yoke and the ion trap mounted on the crt.

Last edited by Adam; 12-23-2015 at 03:33 PM.
Old 08-06-2013, 01:13 PM
Super Moderator

OH, Oh.. I'm in BIG trouble!!
I have the magnet, one is stronger than the other, the centering rings, a round disc of fish paper, the brass piece that goes between centering rings.
Everything else is GONE!
No yoke cover, and, that colar that holds everything in place with it's single screw is also gone. The paper that goes under the ion trap is mostly half gone.

I have two tv's. One is in worse shape electrically than the other.
The parts I have are the sum of both sets.
On both yoke is there, but, cover is completely gone.
Can anyone help? Anyone got a good yoke cover, etc.???
I'm evidently in big trouble here...
I was originally hoping to fix both sets. That won't be possible. Now, I just want to restore the best of the two, which is the one with the stand. I also have a nice red one that has the same problems. Oh, boy....
Bill Cahill