Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > VideoKarma Classifieds

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
Closed Thread

Old 07-14-2013, 01:25 AM
"Book em Dano!"

Sounds like a Blown head gasket.
Old 07-14-2013, 05:18 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewVista View Post
1998 Merc Villager has power problems on acceleration (so bad there's even more power at idle especially when cold) now getting dark oil color + burned oil odor back up into coolant reservoir.
what your describing almost sounds like one or both of your cat. convertors might be pluged ,dont know how handy you are but here are some test you can do to see if thats your problem. put a vacuum gauge on a intake port [ must be on the intake ] not just any vacuum port , should be 18/16/14 [depend how many miles on engine ] at idle any less is bad flow check a sparkplug or two see if real black carbon fowld if they are if possible drop exhaust between eng. & convertor see if power returns ,if cant drop exhaust remove egr [ when you remove egr eng will rev high and black smoke will come out of port ] or remove o2 senors [between eng & convertor see if power improves ] just to open exhaust between eng & convertor best you can, some have a egr bypass tube you can remove . if you have egr off look at the pindel valve in the egr valve should be closed good seal. another problem that model has is ,if you have aluminum cyl. heads the gaskets leak, [are you always adding eng coolant ] remove oil fill cap if on the inside of cap there is a white milky looking snot remove pcv valve if there is the same milky snot chances are intake or cylinder head gaskets are leaking ,the intake gasket also break because there made of plastic and are tourked at 9 to 12nm [depend on which eng you have ] eng code is the 8th # of vin, would start there first.
Old 07-14-2013, 08:39 AM
VideoKarma Member

"cat. convertors"
I had been suspecting this also as codes giving False Knock Sensor indication and I had gone over most other obvious things: Fuel Filter, vacuum lines, EGR, MAP, TPS, all seem fine, vacuum good but have not checked for subtle vacuum signs of Convertor clogging. It has actually blown a leak again at flex exhaust fitting, so may completely sever this for test.
MFG Year is 10/97 VIN starts 4M2ZV1115WD...

Haven't driven it for a while, was adding coolant - sometimes it leaked under engine , sometimes not , then malodorous coloration of coolant began.

Last edited by NewVista; 07-14-2013 at 08:52 AM.
Old 07-14-2013, 09:44 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
"cat. convertors"
I had been suspecting this also as codes giving False Knock Sensor indication and I had gone over most other obvious things: Fuel Filter, vacuum lines, EGR, MAP, TPS, all seem fine, vacuum good but have not checked for subtle vacuum signs of Convertor clogging. It has actually blown a leak again at flex exhaust fitting, so may completely sever this for test.
MFG Year is 10/97 VIN starts 4M2ZV1115WD...

Haven't driven it for a while, was adding coolant - sometimes it leaked under engine , sometimes not , then malodorous coloration of coolant began.
if your production date is correct you should have the 3.0L v6 not the updated 3.3L V6 ,there should be two convertors and one can plugged so make sure both can breath ,also take spark plugs from each head and see if some are more carbon fowld than the other.that will tell you how each cylinder is running or condition of flow through each convertor . now here's yrs of exp. if you have boch spark plugs in your eng the resistance of those plugs are so high that the d.i.s module & coil cant fire the plugs correctly and can mimick a plugged convert. the modern d.i.s coil has alot of high voltage but no real current behind them and cant tell you how many coils & modules iv replaced [overheated modules] because boch spark plugs from auto zone.

Last edited by snelson903; 07-14-2013 at 10:02 AM.
Old 07-14-2013, 11:23 PM
VideoKarma Member

Early on with the problem I had replaced the plugs w NGK Platinums - a desperate gamble that of course failed. They looked good today (removed 2 of 6 in this 3.0 engine w/127k mi)Have not checked intake vacuum yet (tomorrow). EGR really inaccessible , I hate this Ford/Nissan abomination. Hear Chrysler just as bad
Audiokarma
Old 07-15-2013, 05:35 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Early on with the problem I had replaced the plugs w NGK Platinums - a desperate gamble that of course failed. They looked good today (removed 2 of 6 in this 3.0 engine w/127k mi)Have not checked intake vacuum yet (tomorrow). EGR really inaccessible , I hate this Ford/Nissan abomination. Hear Chrysler just as bad
chrysler's where steady work for my shop ,made alot of money from them. then it was ford ,then asian and g.m.
Old 07-15-2013, 10:45 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
MoPars were never that bad. They still build them and still have a large market share.
Those Nissan built minivans were trouble from the very beginning. Mid to later 90's, they were recalled to change a poorly designed engine. Not just a few, but the entire production!
The early MoPar minivans were more trouble-prone, because they only had a four cylinder engine.
Old 07-15-2013, 11:12 AM
First Light: 1952-2011

My Mom had one of those, with a 2.5 turbo in it! Wasn't long before us kids got a hold of it, and we were spanking 5.0 Mustangs. There's a guy on the internet that runs in the 12-sec range in the 1/4 mile in his Caravan, pretty funny to see that I imagine. The Dodge V6 that went into the Caravan was notorious for burning oil, the top end didn't last.
Old 07-15-2013, 11:17 AM
"Book em Dano!"

The worst thing about the Chrysler's is the Transmissions(yes I will get flack for that) and the serpentine belt that likes to come off with moisture. The cowl drain tube is located right above the belt and often breaks and dumps water right on the belt and comes off. Piss poor design for that. I have a friend that has a Mercury villager and is still running pretty good at almost 200K. Not every one will have major issues and that goes for all makes/models.
Old 07-15-2013, 11:19 AM
"Book em Dano!"

The oil burners wore mainly the Mitsubishi sourced 3.0 V6's. The 3.8 and 3.3 are nearly bulletproof.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miniman82 View Post
My Mom had one of those, with a 2.5 turbo in it! Wasn't long before us kids got a hold of it, and we were spanking 5.0 Mustangs. There's a guy on the internet that runs in the 12-sec range in the 1/4 mile in his Caravan, pretty funny to see that I imagine. The Dodge V6 that went into the Caravan was notorious for burning oil, the top end didn't last.
Old 07-15-2013, 11:24 AM
"Book em Dano!"

We used to call those Mustangs "5 point slows". I beat a lot of them in a Volvo turbo. Lots of fun! Those early Caravans with the 2.5 turbos were pretty awesome. Too bad they only made them for a short time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miniman82 View Post
Old 07-15-2013, 01:28 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstaton View Post
We used to call those Mustangs "5 point slows". I beat a lot of them in a Volvo turbo. Lots of fun! Those early Caravans with the 2.5 turbos were pretty awesome. Too bad they only made them for a short time.
I think they quit them when they came out with a V6.
You shouldn't get any heat over the MoPar transmission issue! The truth is still the truth.
I still favor MoPars over the rest. I still own two, but my DD is a Toyota Prius.
How did we get so far off the original post?
Old 07-15-2013, 05:00 PM
First Light: 1952-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstaton View Post
The oil burners were mainly the Mitsubishi sourced 3.0 V6's. The 3.8 and 3.3 are nearly bulletproof.
Right you are, I couldn't remember who built them. Terrible engine, seems like I've never seen one that wasn't leaving a blue cloud behind it as it went. The 2.2 and 2.5 are tits though, bomb proof even when turbocharged. Those silly engines (along with the Ford Pinto 2.3) are tough as nails, there are people making 300 hp with them on the street... that's the sort of power that a 6.0+L V8 engine was expected to make just 30 years ago!
Old 07-15-2013, 09:34 PM
"Book em Dano!"

They used those 2.3's in the T-Bird "turbo coupe". Not too many left around though. I've always liked the Volvo 2.1 and 2.3's. Extremely bullet proof. Volvo's slogan some years ago was "drive it like you hate it" Many with over a million miles on them without a rebuild. Here's a video on a "64 comet owned by the original owner with over 557K miles: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJc5NxtoGAQ

Alright back to the CTC-5.....
Old 07-16-2013, 11:03 PM
VideoKarma Member

Ctc5

I'll be in Chicago (Willowbrook) for the arci show, if you can get it there,
Ill take it, send me pm
Audiokarma
Closed Thread