Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > VideoKarma Classifieds

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-09-2013, 02:19 AM
VideoKarma Member

Looking for particular zenith+rca 19" color sets in restorable condition

I'm looking for some particular Zenith and RCA 19" color sets in restorable condition. They should have a complete, repairable chassis and tuner assembly. The CRT should be unbroken(I'm not worried if it's a little weak, I can try restoring it). The cabinet should not be cracked or dented and should have a back cover(I'm not worried about a few scratches). The set should have most or all of the knobs that belong on it. I'm willing to drive up to about 4 or 5 hours from Detroit, MI. Anything beyond that will have to be shipped. Just contact me with the shipping charges and we can go from there. OK, now that I've got the disclaimers out of the way, here's my wish list:
Zenith- 19" color tube set(mid 60s to early 70s), 19" color 4 tube hybrid(early 70s), 19" color Chromacolor II(mid 70s, upright chassis), 19" color System 3(late 70s, I think most of them used the awesome tri focus CRT).
RCA- 19" color tube set(mid to late 60s), 19" color hybrid(early 70s, most signal stages were solid state while remaining stages were tube), 19" color XL100(mid 70s, upright chassis, SCR horz sweep, some had inline CRT while others had delta CRT), 19" color Colortrak(late 70s, upright chassis that could be swung down for service and was sometimes called the cantilever chassis, SCR horz sweep, I believe all of these had an inline CRT).
I'm totally looking forward to getting my service bench set up and restoring some vintage sets to like new condition! Thanks for any and all your help.
Old 06-09-2013, 03:48 AM
VideoKarma Member

look in the curbside section , theres a post titled treasure , there looks like an early 4 or so tube hybrid 19" zenith at the recycling place in MI

mike
Old 06-09-2013, 03:31 PM
VideoKarma Member

Almost sounds like you are reliving a past life like me.
But the fold down RCA yuck..

Look for recyclers in your area, I am sure they would love to
sell a few. I dont think they have any real scrap value so its all gravy to them.
I visited one looking for work & they had pallet after pallet of TV's.
Hundreds of them. Also tons of other electronics. Medical, audio,
computers, test eq................

73 Zeno
Old 06-11-2013, 12:51 AM
VideoKarma Member

Thanks for the tips! I went thru the whole curbside section here on VK and didn't turn up anything. I wasn't aware that there are recyclers around for electronics. Where would I look for these recyclers anyway? Going to an estate sale this Saturday and also going across town tomorrow to have a look at a 1983 19" Zenith System 3 Space Command. Looks like a nice clean set and seller says it's in perfect working condition. The price is certainly right too, $5. Only thing I can't tell about it is whether or not it's one of the 9-160 type System 3s and would therefore have the awesome tri focus CRT. It would certainly be a good starter restoration set. Wouldn't have any filter cans or paper caps to rebuild/replace. Maybe a big handful of electrolytics to be replaced. I'd like to use those polystyrene round caps like they use in computers as much as possible because they last virtually forever and don't dry out like conventional electrolytics. Anyway, probably a simple recap job and maybe touch up some of the service controls. Sorry, got a little sidetracked. Anyway, I hope I get lucky tomorrow and score with the 1983 19" Zenith Space Command I'm going to look at!
PS: To each his own, I guess. Those RCA Colortraks with the cantilever chassis were really solid(and heavy) sets. Not quite a Zenith for sure. But they did have an awesome picture and very natural looking color. They held up over time, too. Certainly much less troublesome than earlier RCA color tube sets.
Old 06-11-2013, 02:27 AM
VideoKarma Member

http://www.videokarma.org/showthread.php?t=258326

that might take you to the post

mike
Audiokarma
Old 06-11-2013, 06:45 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PUNK DUDE View Post
RCA- 19" color tube set(mid to late 60s), 19" color hybrid(early 70s, most signal stages were solid state while remaining stages were tube), 19" color XL100(mid 70s
I've got all of these sets in near perfect shape, and all in working condition, in Buffalo. I'd make a deal on all of them, but the fact that they all work might take the fun out of restoration
Old 06-11-2013, 09:33 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PUNK DUDE View Post
Thanks for the tips! I went thru the whole curbside section here on VK and didn't turn up anything. I wasn't aware that there are recyclers around for electronics. Where would I look for these recyclers anyway? Going to an estate sale this Saturday and also going across town tomorrow to have a look at a 1983 19" Zenith System 3 Space Command. Looks like a nice clean set and seller says it's in perfect working condition. The price is certainly right too, $5. Only thing I can't tell about it is whether or not it's one of the 9-160 type System 3s and would therefore have the awesome tri focus CRT. It would certainly be a good starter restoration set. Wouldn't have any filter cans or paper caps to rebuild/replace. Maybe a big handful of electrolytics to be replaced. I'd like to use those polystyrene round caps like they use in computers as much as possible because they last virtually forever and don't dry out like conventional electrolytics. Anyway, probably a simple recap job and maybe touch up some of the service controls. Sorry, got a little sidetracked. Anyway, I hope I get lucky tomorrow and score with the 1983 19" Zenith Space Command I'm going to look at!
PS: To each his own, I guess. Those RCA Colortraks with the cantilever chassis were really solid(and heavy) sets. Not quite a Zenith for sure. But they did have an awesome picture and very natural looking color. They held up over time, too. Certainly much less troublesome than earlier RCA color tube sets.
The Zenith is either a 9-160 or 9-181 based set. There are still a lot out there working perfect. For a fin you cant go wrong. No offense meant
about the fold downs, just not my cup of tea. My favorite RCA
was CTC169 & I know most hate it.
For recyclers check the yellow pages also the local dumps.
Around here you gotta pay to junk a set, the dump charges $15
then the recycler picks them up & charges the dump something.
Good luck Zeno
Old 06-12-2013, 12:38 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamakiri View Post
I've got all of these sets in near perfect shape, and all in working condition, in Buffalo. I'd make a deal on all of them, but the fact that they all work might take the fun out of restoration
Thanks Kamakiri, I'll keep it in mind. Maybe later this summer, see if gas comes down. It's like $4.10 a gallon around here. You're definitely right. It would be sweet to have a total collection of working sets all at once. But, I wouldn't have any challenge there.
Old 06-12-2013, 12:44 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeno View Post
The Zenith is either a 9-160 or 9-181 based set. There are still a lot out there working perfect. For a fin you cant go wrong. No offense meant
about the fold downs, just not my cup of tea. My favorite RCA
was CTC169 & I know most hate it.
For recyclers check the yellow pages also the local dumps.
Around here you gotta pay to junk a set, the dump charges $15
then the recycler picks them up & charges the dump something.
Good luck Zeno
Thanks, gonna have a look at the yellow pages tomorrow maybe for recyclers. Also going to look into Salvation Army. I think they have at least a couple stores within reasonable distance of me.
Old 06-12-2013, 12:58 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramden66 View Post
http://www.videokarma.org/showthread.php?t=258326

that might take you to the post

mike
Thanks for the link. Looks like they have a rough 4 tube Zenith hybrid. One of my favorite Zeniths. I think all those 4 tube Zeniths had black matrix CRTs. Made for awesome color and contrast. Going to keep the phone number handy though. If I could haul back 2 or 3 wanted Zenith colors at once it might make a good trip. Unfortunately, Escanaba is like a 7 hour drive from here. Would make for an awful long day. Probably would have to stay overnight somewhere.
Audiokarma
Old 06-12-2013, 11:09 AM
VideoKarma Member

I just restored a 1972 RCA CTC 53 that a friend in our radio club wanted. Also have another good clean CTC 53 that's close to being done. It's had a RCA CRT in its history.
Also have a 19" Zenith chromacolor from the 80's that needs work. And some Zenith hybrids-metal cabinet sets from the 60's. The hybrids all have good CRTs and are restorable.

Last edited by El Predicta; 06-12-2013 at 11:14 AM. Reason: Did not send PM